BX16 Advice

Anything about BXs
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

BX16 Advice

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The missus who currently runs the GTi auto has become rather hooked on BX's. She's got a Suzuki thing that the kids use but its pretty new and worth a few quid so the logical thing seems to be to get rid and get an old shed.

Looking at what a grand buys you in small car terms you dont get much so we've decided to look for either a BX16 (must have power steering) or a BX N/A Diesel.

Ideally i'd prefer the petrol engine as its cheaper to insure for some reason but how tempremental are they with regard to starting from hot and cold? I've heard poor things about them in that respect. If they're a b4stard then we'll look for a diesel.

Answers on a postcard.... or post reply or PM!

Fearny
Over and out from me
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

An N/A diesel will run for ever and are as tough as ol' boots, score an estate and get acres of room for tip runs/ kids crap etc. Oh, cheap too :wink:
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Talk to me about 1.6 petrols! I've got a diesel... I know its good!
Over and out from me
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I reckon its just a case of luck with these to be honest. The 1.6 is pretty much the same engine as the 1.9 but with a shorter stroke (maiking it more revy, almost as powerful, but with far less torque. From reading some 80's Whatcar magazines, it seems they often had problems with the 1.6 and 1.9 engines in terms of starting, particularly when hot. In one case a 1.6 405 on a long term, 24,000 mile test had to be left for 4 hours to cool down, then started fine. The 1.9 engine was no better it seems, but then my 1.9 has never, not once, been difficult to start and that has 107,000 miles or so on it. Also, dont shy away from the 1.4, unless she really needs power steering, as that engine is just superb, and the unsung virtue of the TU 1.4 is its slick gearchange in comparison to other BX's. Coming to think of it, dod they make the 1.4 with power steering at all? What about the the late injected ones?
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I reckon its just a case of luck with these to be honest. The 1.6 is pretty much the same engine as the 1.9 but with a shorter stroke (maiking it more revy, almost as powerful, but with far less torque. From reading some 80's Whatcar magazines, it seems they often had problems with the 1.6 and 1.9 engines in terms of starting, particularly when hot. In one case a 1.6 405 on a long term, 24,000 mile test had to be left for 4 hours to cool down, then started fine. The 1.9 engine was no better it seems, but then my 1.9 has never, not once, been difficult to start and that has 107,000 miles or so on it. Also, dont shy away from the 1.4, unless she really needs power steering, as that engine is just superb, and the unsung virtue of the TU 1.4 is its slick gearchange in comparison to other BX's. Coming to think of it, dod they make the 1.4 with power steering at all? What about the the late injected ones?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I would draw your attention to the rather neat 16 on eBay at the moment. I've spoken to the guy and it would seem (although nothing is for sure of course!) that it's a straight car.

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4027
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If the 1.6 (or the 1.9 come to think of it) petrol engines are the same as the Peugot ones then in my experience whilst theyre both suprisingly economical they`re also a pig to drive slowly in high gears and both suffer from oil condensation problems if only used on shortish journeys. I had mine back to the garage where I bought it from on numerous occasions thinking the head gasket had gone only to be told it was condensation. I didn`t believe them to be honest until a Peugot dealer told me it was true.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

adamskibx wrote:I reckon its just a case of luck with these to be honest.

Got to agree a 100% with that one, while my experience of the 1.6 is limited it seems that they either work faultlesly or there a bit of a pig and the rest of the vehicle condition doesn't point to a good or bad one either!

However i have had a lot more experience with the 1.4! They can push 60+mpg and when you want will fly (which is a little scary cos you know theres no engien under the bonnet to absorb some of the impact :( ) but they are a spectacualr engine, and go speak to the AX boys and whack the GT carb on and you'll be seriously mototring with not bad economy. WHt i do like the most about the 1.4 is that it was clearly setup to be nice and comfortable round town and i've found a lot of big shelled cars struggle with a 1.4 in town, the BX doesn't and i've never seen a 1.4 have cooling problems which is nice :D
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

adamskibx wrote:Coming to think of it, dod they make the 1.4 with power steering at all? What about the the late injected ones?
Sadly I don't think they did make a PAS 1.4, the injection models didn't make it over here as the BX14, in the UK, was phased out in favour of the ZX 1.4 which got injection in '92/'93?

All my Citroen's have had the TU 1360cc unit. My ZX which I ran from 38,000 to 103,000 without a single hiccup had injection and was relativly quick, refined and economical and is now owned by one of my best mates who loves it. For the most part I find my TGE really easy and light to pilot without PAS, it does have a nice, slick gearchange. It also does a very creditable job of pulling the large BX shell around. The 1.4 even manages to move my hefty new Berlingo around!!
2007 Sportka
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its the ZX body which is hefty - they are considerably heavier than a BX (10%?)

Its all the refinement and the improved safety and crash bars that account for the weight - and the extra width too!

Incidentally a manual steering BX has slower steering which will help disguise the lack of PAS. Some 1.9 diesels didn't have it either.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Owen. Im sure they did do an injected 1.4 in the UK. They are badged 1.4i right behind the front wings and are all K or L reg I think. They are very rare though. I was looking at BX engine code readers somewhere, and the late 1.4's were injected with engine management. I dont think they were significantly better in terms of performance or fuel economy, but im not sure. Im sure if im wrong someone will let me know.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

they didnt make a 1.4 bx injection but did offer power steering as a option, i have driven non power steering bxs and they are heavy, diesels ones are awful!

Try finding a 14TGE with power steering! Would be a nice car and cheap to own tax insure etc
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The steering is pretty light on the 1.4 models anyway, which is why power steering is rare, in fact the whole feel of the cars is totally different to the heavier engined ones.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Aha. I did a google search for a 1.4i, and it came up with this:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/range/

Its listed in there, and im 99% sure ive seen one, in Portsmouth, in RHD.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

They did make a 1.4i although i've never seen a UK one.

There was a 1.4i Kat estate at the ICCCR in Switzerland in 2004. That was Greek registered, it was at this years 2CVGB national meeting too.

Anyway, i've driven non PAS cars. If its not an option for me then its not an option for the girlies in the family!
Over and out from me