A friendly observation or two

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

A friendly observation or two

Post by Philip Chidlow »

On the section: http://bxclub.co.uk/survivors/

there appear to be a few inconsistencies. E.g 'Worldwide, a total of 2,337,013 BX were produced!' followed later on by: 'Just over 2.5 million BX's were built between 1982 and 1994.'

'The car was slated by some Citroen enthusiasts for its use of conventional MacPherson front struts, rather than the double wishbone arrangement employed on the BX and GS, even although the same basic hydraulics were used elsewhere on the car'. (Should that be CX?)

Also, 'and there were no significant changes to the range after 1988', I thought the introduction of plastic-coated pipes would count as significant. Wasn't that 1990? ABS was standard on the GTi and 16v from 1989 onwards and the introduction of cats on the BX somewhat muzzled their bite?

Anyway, it's easy to criticise, but I thought I'd just mention it out of goodwill! :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Rarist model is a 1.7D non turbo, anyone ever driven one?
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

No, but I bet its uber slow.
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

They arent half bad, just like their turbo counterparts they are free revving with a bit less torque than the 1.9s, still make reasonable progress on the road though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

My 19RD is slow enough for me. :shock:
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Wow - That was the fastest thread hijack ever! :shock:

Good points Phil! I suspect the numbers have somewhat diminished now as well as this presumably has not been updated since the start of BXClub.
:?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

I bought a 17RD for £50 with an MOT and a full tank of fuel on ebay earlier this year..

It wasn't that bad my 19TXD estate felt just as slow but it was good on fuel and well looked after.

I sold it to two Irish guys and it was found abandoned 10 days later smashed up and the tax disc was missing. A sad end to a fairly reasonable little car....

The rarest car I thought was a 14 TGE which I had again before christmas for £50. Cheap tax and well equiped made it my second favourite model.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

i had a mk1 1.7d back in the 1980s it wasnt quick but if you drove it properly it was ok i put 35000 miles on "celia" in less than 6 months before some yupie twat smacked me up the backside on the m25 a sad end to a lovely car.
I seem to remember driving from faslane in scotland to sheringham in norfolk average journey time was 7.5 hrs and it was 425miles and the red light was not even flickering !
I found some pics the other day so if i can sus the scanner out i wil post them.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Captain Slow wrote:No, but I bet its uber slow.
Suprisingly wrong! I had one that went like the clappers, ask Mrmrwray he still has it :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Rarist model is a 1.7D non turbo, anyone ever driven one
I owned one, It was 1987 E reg and i loved it, It had done 190,000 miles and was a bit ropey round the edges but would sit at 80 mph all day and got me from kent to northants once on 12 pounds worth of diesel.

Bloody awesome car, About 10 years ago a friend of mine took a nice J reg one on a round france trip, cost him naff all in fuel.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

BCXM wrote:
I sold it to two Irish guys and it was found abandoned 10 days later smashed up and the tax disc was missing. A sad end to a fairly reasonable little car.....
Strange that, 3 years ago we replaced an engine in a 230k mile 17tgd and then sold it on to two Irish guys. A week later the police came knocking on the door looking for the owner. It seems the Irish guys did some sort of bank job or something in the car, the car was found abandoned and of course went in the crusher, all that work for a weeks running :evil: and as you say an untimely demise of a nice little car. :cry:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

shame the two guys weren't in it at the time it was crushed. :evil:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v