1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Ive got a TZD today

Post by MULLEY »

Hi Tim, i made it back ok, everything on the car seemed great. Did notice an odd metalic sounding rattle when boosting the car along. Turns out that the exhaust will need moving slightly as it can touch against the towbar & hence the noise.

Slight oil leak, so will try & get that attended to (just had a new drive done) so cant park on it otherwise oil will ruin it & wifey will kill me.

Throttle pedal seems wobbly, so hopefully another easy fix (it worked ok on drive home).

One front fog light wasnt working, so a slight tap with hand & hey presto, it works (dont u just love these cars!! they can be fixed mearly by punching, er i mean massaging).

Rear foglights didnt come on either, so pressed the fog switch a few times & again they worked fine, i'm getting good at this fixing cars lark.

Cleaned the rear number plate lights as they were like my other bx (manky). Managed to re-fitt them this time without busting any, unlike last time.

Its got an alarm fitted, but no idea how it works (no plip with car), so assume that it doesnt work off the ignition switch? Will get that investigated to see if i can use it.

So nice to drive a bx where the heater works by blowing not only hot air, but cold air as well. The other one only blows hot air (just what you need for summer!!).

Sniff sniff, opened up the glove box, no light came on (not sure if one is fitted), other car had one.

I think i have fixed the boot light, will check again tomorrow.

An interesting observation that Tim mentioned before we set off on the test drive is that it feels quite different to drive than the petrol models. Yup it does, the Gti does feel sprightly & light compared the the tzd, however 15mpg less, so thats the compromise i'm afraid. However the tzd was quieter on the road at speed than the Gti, which makes for more relaxing driving.

So all in all, well done Tim for saving the Blue whale & i'm looking forward to some good years motoring ahead. Now what name shall i call this one?? The Gti is Haggy which is from the number plate HxxxAGG, the tzd is KxxxUNZ (no rude names please, unless its funny), all suggestions to this thread please.

Anybody want a Gti?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Nice one Mulley! You`ll soon get used to the TZD, I`ve found that they need a bit of a boot to get them going but once you find out where the power is they`re a great drive.
As regards a name for it the only thing I can suggest is `Ka-hunz`. This fits in with the reg plate and also quite aptly describes most Ford Ka drivers without actually sounding (or being spelt) too rudely :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Welcome to TZD ownership Mulley, I thought you were a little leftout at the classic car do :oops: being the only petrol/non TZD I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I get from mine.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I wondered what that noise was! I had to rehang the exhaust when it was fixed so that must be it. As for speed I think you just have to get used to the powerband on a td, netween 2-400rpm they do fly.

Glovebox I did it in the dark so theres probably a wire there somewhere.

Thanks again and take some pics when you have the alloys on!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Oops!
Last edited by tim leech on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Tim,are you repeating yourself again.Tim are you repeating yourself again.Like Billy says,hit the power band and the TZD flies.I went from a GTi hurricane to my first TZD and it took a little adapting.Once you get used to driving your TZD,Mulley,you'll love it,I do :D :D :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Thanks for the warm diesel welcome. I will inspect glovebox in daylight to see if i can get it to work. Noticed the power band, v-asmatic outside of it compared to my mini cooper s & Gti, but as you all say, once i get used to it i'm sure i will adapt my driving style to keep it in the power band.

It was good fun driving it home today though, you could deffinately feel the extra torque of diesel.

A quick question Tim, you mentioned the cambelt may want doing, any ideas of when the last one was done? if not could you give me details of the chap who owned it before you so that i could contact him to find out. I might save some extra expense on my part by not having to have it done unecessarily.

If no details to hand, i will get my mechanic to check the condition of it & follow his recommendation.

All i need to do know is to bolt on another turbo, increase the boost & i could have the fastest TZD in the uk......

When reading all the various threads since being a member, i am slightly worried about the "lamp of death" on these diesel beasts. I know Stewart when i met him had set up a couple of extra guages (boost & temp guages?), where can you get these from? & are they easy to install?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

2 alternatives for gauges - one is to fit a GTi gauge from a GTi dash or use an after market gauge - like a TIM. Some people fit them in the small tray in front of the clock, I fitted mine in a pod on the right hand side of the instrument binnacle.

http://www.speeding.co.uk/

I think you will find the gauges under engine - there's a huge range.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

MULLEY wrote: All i need to do know is to bolt on another turbo, increase the boost & i could have the fastest TZD in the uk......
Assuming I ever get her going again, you'll have to spend ALOT of time and money to beat mine!! :D :D 8) I've had 127mph from it, and it had some left.....
Although technically mine aint a TZD.....

Cheers
Chris G (The diesel killer)
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I wouldnt worry to much about increasing the power as it could blow the engine to bits lol ,as for the cambelt I have no idea matey, as a precaution if your using it regularly get it changed.

With the diesel you have to have heavy boots, the clutch is quite heavy compared to modern cars and the throttle needs pressing hard, get used to that and you will ahave fun!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Agreed. As much fun as it was having 125BHP at 2700RPM and 1.5 bar of boost at 1500RPM from a 1.7TD, longevity wasn't in the equation!

Unless you get into putting a proper inter-cooler on it there's naff all point turning the boost up past 1 bar since the mickey mouse cooler cant cope and the air gets super-heated and you loose the performance you were hoping to gain by turning it up and destroy the engine.
Been there, repairing it now.....
There nice engines as they are if working properly and a new clutch isn't heavy at all, mines lighter than the valver.

Dont forget, when they were launched they were the fastest production diesel on the market...
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote: As for speed I think you just have to get used to the powerband on a td, netween 2-400rpm they do fly.
2-400rpm ? :shock: I know you diesel guys talk about low end torque but my GTi doesn't tick over below 850rpm. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Mulley, get your hands dirty and change the cambelt yourself!

Its a pretty easy job to do, took me 2 hours the first time and every one i've done since has taken me around 40 mins.

All that satisfaction in knowing you've done something yourself and saved £100 :D
Over and out from me
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Did mine on the Estate TD the other day as the MOT man insisted I should. - No problems - and you don't need to take the bottom pulley off - just remove the 2 small bolts holding the bottom bit of plastic on and wiggle it out of the way.

I found the most difficult bit was getting the top covers on and off! - Rest is easy of you've got a reasonable collection of spanners, a trolley jack, axle stand.

Someone on here suggested using a junior hacksaw frame to locate the hole in the engine backplate by the starter. - excellent advice especially as the hole isn't 8mm as claimed - so my expensive rod which was 8.03mm diameter wouldn't go in.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Ok, i will leave the engine alone, i think i will get a couple of guages instead so that i can keep an eye out incase of any trouble.

Cambelt myself? clearly have not seen my mechanical expertise (i am the one who managed to snap the lug off the rear number plate light). I'm scared of the engine bay.

I'm sure if someone actually guided me through the job, i could do it, but reading instructions & then trying, hmmm, better not. I will get a price from local garage (they are normally v-reasonable), unless a fellow bxer is feeling like being in training mode & wants to come visiting (food & bear available!!).