Spheres

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

Spheres

Post by sleepy0905 »

Can anyone help I have fitted front spheres to the rear of my bx which has made the ride lovely and soft but which ones would be best at the front to give a softer ride :?: :?
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I have to confess I didn`t know they were different. It may be a case of either new ones or old ones which you know work well as a replacement?
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Its all down to the the volume of the sphere the pressure in the sphere and importantly the damper port size ie front ones have a port of 1.80 mm and the back has 1.10 mm but i dont know whether you go larger port softer ride or smaller for softer. :?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

As far as I know, its the larger the hole-softer the ride, but point to remember is these are your shock absorbers.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Don't think it would be a good idea, think about the weight on the front to the weight on the rear. I think putting fronts on the rear would make the rear really hard and over damped.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I already have front ones on the rear and it has made the ride realy comfortable on the rear but the front is still a bit harsh so i am wondering which others to use. 8)
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I have used CX spheres in a BX but I lowered the pressure to decrease the length of travel.
I also fitted a set out of a wreck we once bought and I had heard (from someone who was thinking of buying it before it was wrecked) that this car was very unstable. Upon fitting the front spheres off this car to my 16V, I was most impressed at the way it rode, but when I had to brake hard as I approached a sharp corner on a dirt road and the car began to "tail wag" I was just as unimpressed and therein lies the story; larger volume spheres (500cc) with higher pressures can allow the suspension to travel further, which is why in a lot of cases they feel softer and floatier which is alright whilst everything is going kosher, but in the advent of an emergency it can be the difference between the car handling it as it was intended, or suddenly becoming highly unstable and sending the lot "rubber side up." :shock: :oops:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Oooo I dont want that I will have to reconsider my plans :oops: :cry: