Ive got a TZD today

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

MULLEY wrote: unless a fellow bxer is feeling like being in training mode & wants to come visiting (food & bear available!!).

Hmm, I can`t see that being an attraction to be honest Mulley. Isn`t there a risk it may attack as soon as the cambelt cover is off :?: :shock: :D :D
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Could be, lol....
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Update so far, still havent got insurance certificate so cant tax motor so have been unable to drive her, sniff sniff.

Found the rear view mirror on the floor, i think glue was used to stick it on & it went brittle. Another job to get sorted easily.

Right lets start her up, surprise surprise, dead as a dodo. I had noticed that i couldnt switch the stereo off, it seemed to be on standby & i think its drained the battery. Tried pulling it out, got the surround off, but couldnt get the bleeder out. Will have another go before the hammer comes into play.

Right i will check the battery, oh great, i couldnt get the caps off to see how much water was inside. Will have to give that another go.

Still leaking oil at the mo, will have to get that seen to as its parked on my brand new drive. I did put down some of that oil absorber granule stuff, so that any oil would fall onto that rather than drive, i hope it works!!!

So apart from all these teething probs, its still looking good, just not moving at the mo. Fired up the Gti, no probs with that one at least, & its booked into the garage this week to sort out the suspension once & for all.

Phew, thats it for now....
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mulley I put that radio in, just open the front (top right button) and it then pulls off one side at a time. You do need to take it off when its not being used as its always on standby!

As for the mirror that was off when I bought so I stuck it back on myself. Just get some superglue lol!
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

As for the mirror that was off when I bought so I stuck it back on myself. Just get some superglue lol!
And it will fall off again.Go to a widscreen firm and they will sell you a proper sticky pad for pennies
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The standard BX radio wiring is live all the time - from the days when switching on and off as when starting a car would cause tapes to tangle. This arrangement is fine when you have a radio with a proper click switch which breaks the circuit.

Modern radios with CD players tend to have electronic switches which put the thing into a standby mode. These have a live feed from the ignition switch (and a permanently on memore lead - like earlier ones) However when I fitted one in my BX I found that the standby current was actually quite large and over a week or 10 days the battery would go down.

Answer - fit an ignition controlled power source (or in my case stick it in the ZX and put the old one back, this time with the rear speakers connected)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jeremy wrote:The standard BX radio wiring is live all the time - from the days when switching on and off as when starting a car would cause tapes to tangle. This arrangement is fine when you have a radio with a proper click switch which breaks the circuit.

Modern radios with CD players tend to have electronic switches which put the thing into a standby mode. These have a live feed from the ignition switch (and a permanently on memore lead - like earlier ones) However when I fitted one in my BX I found that the standby current was actually quite large and over a week or 10 days the battery would go down.

Answer - fit an ignition controlled power source (or in my case stick it in the ZX and put the old one back, this time with the rear speakers connected)
:idea: Easiest way is to insert a relay (n/o contacts) by breaking the existing live feed. (Wire the memory lead to the live side contact or you will have to enter code etc each time you turn on!)
The 12v relay coil is connected between chassis and AUXILIARY feed from the ignition switch which then allows you to have ICE on without full ignition on but only when key is in. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Tim do you mean the front facia of the radio, or the actual unit?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Taking the fascia off a radio unit makes no difference to its standby current consumption. Mine advertises its presence by a flashing red LED which is supposed to attract thieves or something but its very much alive underneath!

Some form of interruption to the power (not memory) feed is required. Simple test is probably to remove the appropriate fuse when leaving the car.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Taking the front off I found normally cuts the power.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Taking the front off I found normally cuts the power.
It cuts any sound but the unit uses electronic switching and therefore needs standby power to take the control signals from the front panel off/on buttons.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I have managed to work out how to get the front off, so hopefully it wont be drawing any power & thats an end to flat batter.

Managed to jump start her ok, however the red stop light kept flickering on & off while i was driving & the back suspension was making all sorts of creaking sounds.

Why does the stop light come on, it didnt do this when i picked her up from Tim & drove home & neither did the suspension make that awful racket?

Car has been stood still since last Sunday til today....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:Managed to jump start her ok, however the red stop light kept flickering on & off while i was driving & the back suspension was making all sorts of creaking sounds.

Why does the stop light come on, it didnt do this when i picked her up from Tim & drove home & neither did the suspension make that awful racket?
Are you leaking LHM? What does the level indicator on the reservoir say when the car is on max suspension? Sounds if your level is low.

If the stop light comes on you should have another fault light as well - what is it?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Not leaking lhm, dont know what the guage says on max setting (will have a look tomorrow). Yes there was another light, its a small red one, having looked at the car manual i think it was the Hydraulic fluid reservoir one.

It did eventually go out though, should i top it up with some lhm?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like you need a drivers manual

Loads of info on this site - including drivers manual.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/

Haynes manual in English here:

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm

I think its the second BX item, 1st is a parts list - well worth having and the last is a series 1 parts list. Rest are parts of the Citroen workshop manual in English I think.

LHM level should be checked with car on high - then between marks (as shown in drivers book.)