NEC Classic Show

Anything about BXs
tim leech

NEC Classic Show

Post by tim leech »

Went to the NEC Classic show and a darn good show it was too, but silly money as usual, £22 each to get in! Im sure it was £14 lats time, £7 parking plus food and drink was highway robbery.

Fotunatly my Uncles stepson was displaying a nicely customised 1930 Ford Model A on the Meguiars stand so we got in free and got a free lunch too £60 saved between us!

Was nice to see a few well known faces (Ian and Tim with other halves) and the CCC stand had a good turn out, lots of traction avants (too many) and a even a XM but NOT ONE Bx! Hmm, I was going to join up there and then but they wanted £40! yes £40 (inc joining fee) for a years membership! Err no. Thats twice what I pay on all the other clubs I have been in.

Any chance of us doing one next year as its the 25th anniversary of the BX nest year?

My valver will be in tip top condition by then so that on offer, plus I dont live that far away so can offer accomodation etc
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Oddly enough Tim I`ve been `spotted` by someone (who I assume is local to me) from the CCC as I found a flyer on my BX estate windscreen. Found the website as fancied a look around but with great respect to them the membership fees seem a little steep to me.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

£20 is the norm. Joiing fee id normalyy £5 or so, I mean how much does it cost to add you on to a database and issue a membership card.

I do think its too expensive.
M

Post by M »

I wanted to go to the CCS @ NEC but due to decortating commitments had to stay at home - you think your weekend was expensive, bugger all change out of £300 to decorate lads room, and thats not including the wardrobes (but did include some stuff from pIkea.)
Still, all nice with space wall paper, rockts, moon lamps, glow in the dark stars and sh1t3 like that.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hehe makes my aching feet after walking all day seem unimportant now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Tim, I didn`t go but have seen some pictures. Did you clock that P5 motor home? How cool was that?!
Vauxhall apologist.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

tim leech wrote:£20 is the norm. Joiing fee id normalyy £5 or so, I mean how much does it cost to add you on to a database and issue a membership card.

I do think its too expensive.
Joining fee £5,subscription £30.Bearing in mind that you get 10% off at GSF(although one of the lads at Sheffield gives me full trade discount)My membership has paid for itself.You also get the added bonus of reading BX articles by our very own Ian Fearn(usually very good reading)
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

Yep, the 10% discount at GSF more than makes up for the fee in my case. You get the discount on everything you buy ;so if its oil for the daughters car or w/wipers for the sons, bulbs for the missus' car etc. etc. its easy to save £30 over the year if you're lucky enough to have one near you (although they do do mail order). My local one is manned by a couple of guys who really know their stuff and that helps. You also get a good read every month delivered to your door. The articles by Ian are good I agree.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Didnt know that guys, hmm worth doing then me thinks. Its still £10 joiining fee though!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Didnt know that guys, hmm worth doing then me thinks. Its still £10 joiining fee though!
It really depends on how much you spend in GSF! To get your membership money back:

Needs to be over £400+vat the first year to start "real" 10% savings and £300 in subsequent years at the current membership. :)
Of course you could deduct from that an arbitary amount of what you consider the value of being a member of the club. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hmm thats a hard one, do I have to grow a beard and wear sandles if I join?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Hmm thats a hard one, do I have to grow a beard and wear sandles if I join?
Well, if there is a dress code......... :? :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

As a bearded sandal wearer I resent that :D I have been seriously thinking about joining the CCC myself, its one of those things I will eventually get around to.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Way2go wrote:Well, if there is a dress code......... :? :lol:
Dresses are optional I believe, at least I've not (yet) been kicked out for not wearing one :roll: .

Subs seem pretty typical to me to be honest, at least for a traditional car club, and you do get a 100-page mag every month. You can sometimes pick up useful tips from other model reports, esp regarding stuff like hydraulics. And you get 10% off GSF and AEP.

CCC £30 + £5 joining fee; Alfa Romeo Owners club £35 + £7.50; MG Owners Club £30 + £5; Ford RS Owners Club £30; Vauxhall Sports Car Club £30 .....
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

st gilles wrote: The articles by Ian are good I agree.
Dont forget Jayboy Justin too! :)

Thanks for the kind words though..... :oops:
Over and out from me