Ive got a TZD today

Anything about BXs
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Have you bust it already Mulley! Was fine whilst I had it mate the suspension worked fine mate.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:Not leaking lhm, dont know what the guage says on max setting (will have a look tomorrow). Yes there was another light, its a small red one, having looked at the car manual i think it was the Hydraulic fluid reservoir one.

It did eventually go out though, should i top it up with some lhm?
Sounds if it needs it! BUT if the car was correct when you picked it up then it suggests you are leaking LHM from somewhere.

If you leak from the strut returns or the octopus that usually is seen as a puddle on the ground mainly when the car settles.

No puddle but some drips and it may be from high pressure lines and you are dispersing the lhm as you drive along and level may drop faster depending on the severity of the leak.

I lost a lot of fluid one time from the front-to-back HP line. this was split near the nsr wheel, didn't make much mess on the drive but peed green each time you put you foot on the brake.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have to admit mulley to not checking the LHM level as it seemed fine.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Put a litre of vulcan blood in her & guess what, no more red angry lights saying STOP. I cant find any leaks, so i guess it was just low.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Did the tyre pressures tonight, all were low, oops, that might be the reason why on slippery road when i slammed on the brakes to avoid crashing into another car it didnt seem to pull up that quickly initially.

Avoided accident though as car did slow up in nice straight line eventually. The tyres on this car are cheap sxxx wich i will be replacing next week (i have ordered some new one's).

I can never quite get my head round why people think that by saving a few quid they arent endangering them & their passengers with crap tyres. The difference between good & bad is staggering & good tyres dont need to be mega expensive.

I will shortly be fitting my winter tyres (Debica Frigo 2, 185/60's), which cost less than £29 each & have had quite a few good right ups...

Once fitted i will report my findings on whether they were a good buy or not.

Anyone else running winter tyres or about to?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:Avoided accident though as car did slow up in nice straight line eventually. The tyres on this car are cheap sxxx wich i will be replacing next week (i have ordered some new one's).
I thought the TZD was fitted with ABS which will normally ensure that you keep to a straight line when activated. Perhaps you didnt press hard enough on the pedal to engage it. Try it out on a deserted road with an emergency stop you should get a vibrating feedback from the pedal.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

MULLEY wrote:The tyres on this car are cheap sxxx wich i will be replacing next week (i have ordered some new one's).

I can never quite get my head round why people think that by saving a few quid they arent endangering them & their passengers with crap tyres. The difference between good & bad is staggering & good tyres dont need to be mega expensive.

I will shortly be fitting my winter tyres (Debica Frigo 2, 185/60's), which cost less than £29 each & have had quite a few good right ups...
With great respect Mulley, Debica tyres are not exactly range topping quality tyres mate and I would have thought they`d fall into the `cheap cr*p` category. For probably only about a tenner more per wheel you`d get decent brand named tyres, well worth it i.m.h.o.
I appreciate you`ve read the write ups on Debica but they really won`t be anywhere near as good as Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Avon etc, etc etc. You`ll also find that cheaper brands don`t last in the mileage stakes either and are false economy. Mileage wise I don`t think you`ll beat Michelin though I`ve found Avon to be a good rival for price, mileage and grip.
I`ll admit that my last estate ran very happily on a mixture of some really crap brands and never looked like letting go on corners, but if I had the choice of new tyres I`d certainly go for a big name.
I can`t help but wonder if Debica are trying to tell us something with that name: how long before they get re-named Debacle Frigo-ff? :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

THe tyres on it are cheapo ones but are all fairly new, the abs seems to work fine when it went it for its MOT.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

On a slippery road the ABS can give the horrible sensation that the car isn't going to stop. A cat ran out in front of me the other evening when I was doing about 15 or 20 - and after an impressive yelp from the tyres the thing just carried on - pulsing away happily but slowing rather gently and a great deal more gently that I would have liked. Cat survived!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I had the same experience of ABS on some snow, a thrumming sensation, the brake pedal pulsed a lot under my foot but very little retardation, its a good job I was only playing 8)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

jeremy wrote:On a slippery road the ABS can give the horrible sensation that the car isn't going to stop. A cat ran out in front of me the other evening when I was doing about 15 or 20 - and after an impressive yelp from the tyres the thing just carried on - pulsing away happily but slowing rather gently and a great deal more gently that I would have liked. Cat survived!
The thing with ABS is its supposed to allow you to keep control of the car and steer it away from trouble (old ladies, cats, dogs, tractors etc) - the issue is that most of us grew up with the pre ABS "hit the anchors and hope it pulls up in time" school of motoring , and its this mental reflex that kicks in whenever anything leaps into our path.... It takes a real mental effort to realise that I can steer these days when jumping on the anchors. I too still grip the steering wheel for grim death and bury my foot into the carpet whilst thinking "stop you bustard, stop...."
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Yep do that too, have a alarming reaction of yanking the handbrake on too!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Yep do that too, have a alarming reaction of yanking the handbrake on too!
I stand to be corrected but I don't think that will contribute anything to a BX. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Somewhere I have a road test which shows BX handbrake efficiency as 53% (0.53G) - which is more than the MOT requirement for the footbrake.

The mechanism is such that it would overide the hydrauylic system - so even with the ABS operating - the full handbrake power is available - if you are brave or foolhardy enough to use it
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Lol not on a BX! I had a Rover 214 in 99 and some goon pulled rightout in front of me, i stamped on the brakes and it slowed down but being drums on the back they didnt do much, I yanked on the hambrake and the rear wheels locked, (as the front ones already were) fortunatly this slowed it down enough for me to JUST miss him!

One of the scriest momments ion my 15 years driving career!