Ive got a TZD today

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If I apply my brake pedal and then pull the handbrake on it goes to a higher pull position so this infers that the main brakes are more efficient than the handbrake. :?
However I can see that using it when braking would defeat the ABS system on the front wheels and as that is where the majority of braking is on the BX would be potentially dangerous. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Operating the footbrake firmly subjects the caliper piston to the full force of the hydraulic system which I should imagine is way beyond what the handbrake can produce - so subsequently operating the handbrake means that it travels a bit further. The mechanical advantage on the handbrake is huge - so the actual movement of the piston/pad is tiny - so a small movement of the piston under enormous hydraulic pressure allows the lever to move what seems a long way. (and if you are lucky - its enough to make the handbrake re-adjust itself.)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Just to clarify some of the points raised, yes the TZD does have abs, & the brake pedal did pulse, i just put it down to crap tyres with low pressures, not an ideal combination.

Yes i would agree that Debica's are crap, but these are winter tyres which are totally different to summer tyres so can not be compared. I did look at more expensive winter tyres & the performance didnt seem any better, hence why i went for these.

I will soon see if my money was wisely spent, but i guess even crap winter tyres will still outperform high performance summer tyres (in winter conditions i.e. low temperatures, wet conditions & of course snow) so c u lot slippen & sliding.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hey Mulley, hope you took no offence by my remarks about your tyre choice as none was intended.
With the weather about to turn before we know it some decent winter grip is just the thing!
Vauxhall apologist.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

cavmad wrote:Hey Mulley, hope you took no offence by my remarks about your tyre choice as none was intended.
With the weather about to turn before we know it some decent winter grip is just the thing!
Do you really need any extra winter grip though Billy?Don't know about you,but 3microns of snow is enough to bring Barnsley to gridlock :evil: :evil: :evil: You can have all the grip in the world,but if all the other prats on the road are sliding all over the place,you aint going anywhere
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

No offence taken Cavmad, i dont mind people's honest opinions even if i disagree. However i totally agree with what you said about debica's (summer tyres), bag of sxxxe, but the winter one's (i shall see).

I agree with Barnsley to a point, but at least i will be able to get up & down hills easily even if the other twonks are sliding all over the place & may be even able to brake or steer out of the way of an impending idiot heading towards me.

This country always has rubbish weather, but most people remain clueless when it comes to driving on snow, so many avoidable prangs.

Knowing my luck i will be driving along with my winter tyres on & go straight off the road on black ice, in which case i may as well have been driving on slicks anyway, but heyho.

Managed to survive winters with normal tyres by using a bit of common sense & smooooooth driving style with & without abs equipped cars. My old VW Polo was rather good in the snow, much to the annoyance of anyone driving high performance motors with low profile tyres (absolutely useless in the snow haha). They would be driving that slow i would actually overtake them.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I used to use Michelins on my cars but I had two sidewalls explode on thwm (when they were fairly new) so I started trying different tyres.
I now use the rallye spec UNIROYAL tyres on both cars (the TD has 550's and the valver has 540's) and the grip is phenominal! and they're quiet on the road which is nice :D . I've never had a problem driving in the winter mind but being a "professional" ( :D :D :D ) driver I tend to drive smoothley amd look well ahead, and of course, drive in accordance with the conditions.
I love it when it's hoofing down with snow and everybody is driving at 5mph and I scream past in a 40foot bus! the only gripe I have is the council never grit bus stops in laybys out in the country and when you pull into to let some inbred erdowell tosser off (who should know better and buy a car :D ) you sit in the stop doing 65mph on the governor and dont go anywhere untill the snow melts under the rear tyres and you bolt off like a nasa rocket! :D

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Barnsley BXer wrote:
cavmad wrote:Hey Mulley, hope you took no offence by my remarks about your tyre choice as none was intended.
Do you really need any extra winter grip though Billy?Don't know about you,but 3microns of snow is enough to bring Barnsley to gridlock :evil: :evil: :evil: You can have all the grip in the world,but if all the other prats on the road are sliding all over the place,you aint going anywhere
Aye, good point mate. It does help a bit though as I have a couple of good `rally slagging` lanes I can use on way/way home from work which are magic when wet and even better when snowy. Mind you, sometimes the fun is when you don`t have much grip and have to guesstimate what speed to take corners at for maximum fun :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Its usually the other To**ers that cant drive that cause the trouble when it snows, I think I will let the BX rest should any amount of the white stuff come down, if I have to drive it I might nobble the ABS by disconnecting one of the sensors under the back seat.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I use the company motor in any weather besides sunshine! No point letting my motors get wet and dirty!
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Got the car back from the garage today & need the following jobs doing.

1) Cambelt - to be on the safe side

2) New front discs & pads - one of the discs has a chip in it (hammer blow to it?) no wonder the brakes felt throbby, it was getting worse.

3) Also need a new speedo thingy (cant remember what the mechanic called it), but the trip is fxxxed which the other gearing is catching onto as well, hence wobbly speedo. Anyone got a spare speedo (i dont need a binacle)?

4) Loose & wobbly throttle pedal needs attending to.

Jobs done:

Replaced some bulbs in dash which were out.

Exhaust moved so it doesnt vibrate against towbar anymore, silence, its so lovely.

Got the oil pre-filter (i think thats what its called) fitted, car seems smoother to drive?

Stereo taken out, soon to be replaced with my other one.

Its slowly getting there finally, i just want it to be sorted so i can start using it, dont really want to until cambelt gets done, said it would cost £90 which doesnt sound too bad.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:until cambelt gets done, said it would cost £90 which doesnt sound too bad.
Beats the £100 I paid. :P
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Stewart, why do u want to knobble the ABS?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:Stewart, why do u want to knobble the ABS?
Can't see why myself because the ABS should allow the tyre to try to come down off what it has started to plane on. However if you are already aquaplaning or on solid sheet ice, an ABS system is going to be as useless as the brakes. :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thats tghe fuel filter mulley that was with the car Mulley, if you going to chuck that steroe let me have it back as I have a 10 disc changer in my 16v that it will operate please!