Moving on from a BX

Anything about BXs
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Moving on from a BX

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Before you all say why... Hear me out.

I've been doing some research recently into converting our BX GTi to LPG. Our camper is on LPG and saves us a fortune and runs better on LPG than it does on petrol.

Anyway, in my quest to find out more i found the Ford Scorpio website. Very good website with a huge technical database.

On this site is a section fully devoted on what to buy next.

On this thought it got me thinking what will us lot buy as our next practical car.

I personally find the Xantia far too barge like to ever buy another. Citroen C5 i've got no interest in whatsoever.

So what would we buy next?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Vectra most likely, not many newer Citroens do it for me.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Me neither. Late model ZX TD possibly?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Saab 95, Aero preferably if fuel costs don't go through the roof!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Well I personally can't see there being a "next." Once I get my own place, the BX will live in the garage. I wouldn't drive it everyday, I'd go mad!

Personally I find most newer cars really dull. But if I had to get something newer I'd be thinking Alfa V6, Volvo T5 etc. At the moment I've got a Nissan Primera (don't laugh) so its the extreme opposite of the BX, which I find is good because it makes the BX's character stand out even more.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

Personally i dont see the Xantia as barge like, I think its a nice looking car as well, so one of the last HDI's for me, i'd rather a Sinclair C5 than the ugly Citroen C5!
RED 1993 TZD Turbo EST. 182,661miles
My everyday car for last 9 years, about to be seperated {July 2008}, and then i'll be Bx'less first time in 18 years....
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

A Xantia for me [preferably a 2.1 turbo] .....although I dont like them as much as the BXtzd .........I'll still be keeping my 2CV though.
T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'd like something a little different perhaps a Renault Avantime but they're too much trouble.

I'd perhaps end up with a Skoda Octavia as i see them as being reasonably basic without any pretentiousness and the Laurent Clemant ones are very well spec'd.
Over and out from me
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I like to drive a car, not an armchair! I also don't want to lug around an extra tonne of weight just so i dont crash, can have pretty dials etc, KISS for me (Keep it simple stupid), so that rules out pretty much all new cars!

If i had a stack of money for servicing, maintenance, phone calls to the dealer then i would be very tempted by a C6, full of crappy gadgets i appreciate, but if i have the money i'd stretch to a little luxury!

As i dont play the lottery often, i'm not likely to make a million over night! Therefore my next non BX purchase is likely to be one of a few things;

Defender, for the weekend and not really a daily drive. I have mixed thoughts on the 90v's 110 debate, but i'd be more tempted by one of the newest 110's with some of the bonuses (like a radio!)

H-Van, there so cute, and look like a lot of fun! Would OBVIOUSLY stick a HDi in it though :D

Also been looking at something really nice and old perhaps of a citroen HGV variety, ideally an ex army one
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Skodas are good cars as you knwo there rapackaged VWs but depends if you can live with the stigmatism and the resale besides the fast ones arent good. Seat maybe?

I think the Xantias a great car I love my bx but the difference in ride comfort and interior space and build quality is quite abit!

I know your worry about fuel costs so stick with a diesel, large engine petrol cars will get harder and harder to sell due to people going emission mad and goverment legislation. We never sell petrol cars anymore in anything bigger than a Polo!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

tim leech wrote:Skodas are good cars as you knwo there rapackaged VWs but depends if you can live with the stigmatism and the resale besides the fast ones arent good.
Which stigmatism is that? The Skoda badge or the VW one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinking about it most (all?) new cars are pretty soul-less so maybe this is where badge loyalty lies for some?
In which case a Vectra or maybe Astra VXR would do me nicely thanks!
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Examine in your mind what you find appealling about the BX to start with. Different. Quirky. Oddball maybe. And relatively cheap.??? As you've got a big VW you might want to consider something nippier?

What cars fill those areas of interest for you?

Personally, I'd consider an Alfa Romeo 75. Or a good 33, for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

The Italian theme could continue with a Fiat Thema (8.36?!) or a Lancia Integrale...

I don't know, but I think the nearest to a Citroen is an Italian... A bit fragile. not over-engineered, electronically challenged... with a huge and enthusuiastic fan base.

Renault? Yep - why not a Fuego or a 15/17 coupé - or Williams Clio? Pug? Mmmm. can't think of one.

I'm sure you'll find something. Please - not a Mundeo or (blasphemy?) a Vauxhall! :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Philip chidlow wrote:Examine in your mind what you find appealling about the BX to start with. Different. Quirky. Oddball maybe.
For me? ........I still think that after 22? years the BX still looks modern .......and .....errr .........yeah! .....different? ...they're much better looking than the Xantia anyway .........but at the rate my BXtzd is going, I'll soon be driving a Citroen "Xscrapper" ;)
T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Bxaholic wrote:i'd rather a Sinclair C5 than the ugly Citroen C5!
I can't read the term "Sinclair C5" without viaualizing that Spitting Image sketch with the Juggernaut putting another sticker on his cab. :shock: :lol: :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

This has been a really lively debate so keep it going!

Some interesting idea's been put out so far.
Over and out from me