Anything about BXs
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

TZD so it has to be manual.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Mulley - I put up with the same problem for months if not a couple of years on mine. If you hear the click, then the solenoid is operational, but not making the contact to bring the actual starter motor in. It got to the point of not working especially when hot and so I had to wait 30mins to let things cool down - that was the theory that weemd to work for a while. Eventually, it gave up and I messed around with units from the scrappy that worked for a while then gave up on me as well. Eventually, I got one from GSF and has been tip top ever since. Its the sort of thing you can put up with for a while and then it p*sses you off too much. As Ian said - its fairly easy on a TD but you would benefit from a 'round ended' alan key (size escapes me think in 9mm), again it's something I can put in the post to you. If you do it, disconnect the battery first as the main cable is always live!!!!! If you lived closer mate I'd love to help you out...
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The later diesels also use the cold start relay as used on the ZX. When it first happened I was looking at the engine while my wife operated the starter and it looked as though the headlights actually got brighter when the starter was operated - so no current to starter - but cold start relay cutting off glowplugs during cranking. This led me to wonder about a connector on the ZX where the engine harness passes through the inner wing but when I dismantled that all seemed OK - but the usual happened and it worked better for a few days.

Its also compunded on the ZX by one of those immobilisers - which sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't - so its very difficult to know if its the immobiliser etc.

Think what I'll do eventually is connect a proper starter switch in the circuit and see if that works every time - if it does then its the key switch.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Car wouldnt start when i went to citroen dealer to get lhm fluid (they were shut anyway) so was stranded until wife came with some jump leads incase it wasnt the starter.

So, exatly the same problem, dash lights come on, glow plug light then goes off, turn key & then nowt, did this a few times & the starter kicked over but it wouldnt fire up, eventually the battery went dead.

Attached the jump leads & the car fired up straightaway??? I wouldnt have thought it would be the ignition coil pack as i believe once they die thats it, either a dicky starter motor or perhaps a loose connection somewhere, either way i cant live with that problem so dropped car off at garage who may be able to look at it tomorrow. FED UP NOW......
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

You'll get there mate...easy for me to say I know...
the starter kicked over but it wouldnt fire up

Let us know what the garage comes up with...
1990 BX TGD White
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:oops:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I would be extremely surprised if it was the coil pack, diesels dont have one! first off it sounds like your battery is U/S, a few attempted cold starts should not flatten it and a semi dead battery will not throw a diesel over fast enough, next check the thin wire on your starter motor with a meter, when the key turns it should show 12 volts, sometimes the wire/connectors degrade and reduce this voltage, try separating the big brown connector under the battery and cleaning the contacts, if that does not improve things you could need an ignition switch as these are overloaded as standard on the BX alternatively fit a relay into this circuit so that the keyswitch current is only switching it, you will get there, these are only teething problems :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Cheers for the coil pack update, shows my full ignorance on cars, thanks for the advice on what to check etc.. unfortunately i dont own a multimeter so bang goes that idea. Did i mention i am pretty clueless when it comes to the mechanics of sorting out cars. Unfortunately thats why i am on 1st name basis with everyone at my local garage, they seem to be seeing a lot of me recently, so thats another fix for them.

But thanks anyway guys, one day i may be able to do something basic, i'm hoping its just a crappy connection which is causing the starting problems, but perhaps a new battery wouldnt go amiss anyway & perhaps stewart has hit the nail on the head regarding this diagnosis. Please, please, please let it be a connection (that should be a lot cheaper than a battery!!). Once i know the score i will update this thread, its getting larger by the day.....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote: i dont own a multimeter so bang goes that idea..
Have a look in maplins, you can get something basic there for little money, maybe less than a tenner. Useful to get one with a continuity beeper on though for when you are tracing wires by yourself and cant look at the meter 'cos you are concentrating on where the wire goes. :D 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Batteries needn't cost of fortune, try shopping around for one, don't just buy one from your local garage, it's likely to cost you £60+ when half of that would be about right.
I have a spare one here but that might not satisfy you as it's not new and you'd never be certain if it was still the battery at fault.

I have an ignition lock if you need it also.

But like Stewart says, dismantle and clean those connections, that'll cost nowt and you've also eliminated that poss.

This is the problem with buying elderly possibly cheap BX on eBay or elsewhere, you can guarantee you're buying loads of problems. I know I've done it.
I've said so many times and I'll say it again. "I NEVER buy one of these things either for myself or to sell on without going through it mechanically from end to end BEFORE putting it on the road." It's the only way to be get a good reliable motor, otherwise you're going to end up with loads of annoying mechanical faults and breakdowns.

Even this Silver estate of mine, although in excellent external condition had lots of problems waiting to happen. Pipes that had chaffed and so on, not immediately obvious and still running but once you start stripping down it's frightening what you find.
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mulley I can get you one trade if you want too, least I can do, sorry your having teething problems.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Cheers for the offer Tim, i may take u up on it depending upon what the garage quotes me for. Cars problems arent your fault, if u were running her u would be having the same grief & likewise anyone else buying it off you would have same issues. Just one of those things.....
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ok thanks
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Got blue beast back today, hurrah, there were 2 problems with the starting issue:

1) - duff connection to battery (dont ask me which one)

2) - Incorrect battery fitted (turns out its a ford fiesta 1300cc one, its only got 36amps juice, so it was getting flatter & flatter everyday of driving).

So they have fitted a new one (not sure how much thats going to cost me as he hasnt sorted out my big bill yet).

Touch wood, hopefully i can now see light at the end of the tunnel.....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Good news mate really. Simple and sweeeeeet. Hope that keeps you going matey......
1990 BX TGD White