Moving on from a BX

Anything about BXs
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Well for simplicity, availability style etc what about a Porsche.

Yes the 924 can be yours for less than £1000 - no computers (K Jetronic on 2 litre ones) and apparently they go on for ever!

Not bad to drive - I'd probably have been more impressed with the one I drove if I hadn't been comprehensively burnt off by an Astra GTE within the first mile, but to be fair it was comfortable in a firm way, quiet and solid - if you like Hillman Avenger style conical instrument glasses. Really felt like my late Mk 111 Cortina 2000 GT.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... &min_pr=75&
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

jeremy wrote:Well for simplicity, availability style etc what about a Porsche.

Yes the 924 can be yours for less than £1000 - no computers (K Jetronic on 2 litre ones) and apparently they go on for ever!

Not bad to drive - I'd probably have been more impressed with the one I drove if I hadn't been comprehensively burnt off by an Astra GTE within the first mile, but to be fair it was comfortable in a firm way, quiet and solid - if you like Hillman Avenger style conical instrument glasses. Really felt like my late Mk 111 Cortina 2000 GT.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... &min_pr=75&

Because they have a VW van engine in them Jeremy and with great respect they`re pretty lame. I totally blew one away a few years back in a Mk4 Cortina 2.3 Ghia manual.
On the plus side they do go very cheaply, sub £500 for a fixer-upper but as I say they don`t have the go to match the looks.
A 944 would be a better proposition I think though I`d guess you`d need to find a couple of grand to get a reasonable and useable one.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

944's and 924 S (much the same engine but without the bulges) are available for the same price but I didn't mention them as they have electronics.

924 wasn't that slow - should hold a BX 16 or a TD! (possibly a carb 19)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

There's also the Reliant Scimitar - 3 litres (or 2.8) of Ford V6 - plastic body, solid back axle - simple style!

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... ull=SEARCH
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Merc W124 series. Pretty damn near indestructible and inexpensive. 300-24 has big teeth and fleece jacket. Yours for a grand.
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

tom wrote:Merc W124 series. Pretty damn near indestructible and inexpensive. 300-24 has big teeth and fleece jacket. Yours for a grand.
Excellent choice, {not familiar with the W124 bit, but i'm sure your talking about E-class pre 'p' reg models} built for million miles.
190's were also bullet proof despite noisy rear axle {on the diesels anyway}, I'd love one of those 190 cossies.
RED 1993 TZD Turbo EST. 182,661miles
My everyday car for last 9 years, about to be seperated {July 2008}, and then i'll be Bx'less first time in 18 years....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

(At the moment!) I'm intending to buy a W124 next year as our family transport - I agree they are superb value. I used to have one. I guess an E280 on an 'N' with AC would be a good bet. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I have to say that aircon is a must for my next motor.

Quite like the Merc idea, shame the new ones have such an appalling reputation.

I dont think the Porsche 924 is a bad car. The 924S with the 2.5 lump is no slouch either. From my point of view it makes no sence as the boot and back seats are hopeless but i understand that they are tough as old boots mechanically.
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

One of the few things that would tempt me away from my 190E would be an `E` class or best still a CLK (the first model).
I`m with Tom that the W124`s are virtually indestructable and they`re also fantastic value at the moment.
Some of the Merc diesels (like the `T` series estates) will run forever and a day but are painfully slow.
Parts are also extremelt well priced (even some genuine parts) and they`re well supported if you want pattern parts etc too.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Everyone has forgotten an absolute classic, easily obtainable for under a grand, reliable, good on fuel & reasonably fun to drive, have u guessed yet? See below:

Its the VW Polo Fox Coupe - 1litre injection, 55bhp, 40+mpg, even when hammered it does 40mpg, can sprint to 105 (down a hill). No electrics to worry about, didnt even come with a stereo, no sunroof to leak water into & no power steering to go wrong either. Oh did i mention that its good in the snow as well!! Yes i owned one of these babies, passed it onto my mother-inlaw & she loves it. L reg owned by our family since new, its been to Cornwall & back, only broke down twice, once in my sisters ownership (alternator buggerd) & with me (ignition coil pack). Cheap to insure as well, go on you know you want one.....
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

I was a strict alfa man which was hammered into me from the Italian side of my family. I bought an Alfa GTV 2.0 16v from a main dealer and was shocked by the utter crap it turned out to be. I sold it after driving my first XM. I will never forget that car. It was an Sei in black with leather. I never wanted to drive anything else after that. I bought up nearly every XM on ebay at one point I couldn't get enough of them but after nearly two years the unreliability has worn me down. My main XM for many months was a V6 LPG which had very reasonable fuel economy and loads of grunt but I had to strip the whole bastard down and build it up again..The 2.0 petrol Turbo is very thirsty for not much in return...and I'm not won over by the 2.5 very expensive and the spec on the bulk of the estates is very poor. The Xantia just doesn't say enough aesthetically, though the mark II's look like real Citroens. Thats why the BX is the perfect compromise. Relativly good reliability with that Citroen look

I have a brand new Peugeot as my proper, proper car I can't fault they're reliability. The new 407 estate looks awsome...

I am considering a Volvo 850 estate too.......
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

WTF? is going on with the width on this thread?!?!?

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:WTF? is going on with the width on this thread?!?!?
Good question, they seem to be having a love affair with Mercedes now and I thought that was only one step removed from the Beemers they hate! :? :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Personally I don't have a problem with the older BMWs and the Pre-1996 Mercs. BTW I think the question about width was to do with the display! Are we going to have to put in our own returns? :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The question is 'Do elderly BMW's and Mercedes satisfy the requirements:

[quote="Philip chidlow"]OK, what's about the simplest car you can own? It has to be reliable, practical, with some kudos/style (or retro charm), cheap-ish to run and generally available for under £1000...

Simple?