My First Car

Anything about BXs
Paris

My First Car

Post by Paris »

Im 19 and have been riding bikes since i was 15 but now have decided its now time to get a car on the road............. My choice a Citroen BX 1.4 ST Tropez which i paid 77 pounds for. The car is finished in white and has black wheels on it, what i am hoping to do is make it into the ultimate BX and show SOUTHEND how it is done, just thought id join the club and help keep the BX alive!!!!!!!

has anyone got any parts for my BX for example 16V sideskirts????
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

There will be a lot more to do before you go sticking skirts and spoilers onto it. The 14 makes a good first car, assuming you can afford the insurance but the ultimate BX, it will sadly never be. Wait a couple of years, learn the way this car works and buy a bigger engined one, because these have all the toys on already. The Hurricane or TZD models have power windows all round, fancier seats, mildly tweaked suspension, remote locking, lots of speakers etc. etc. They also have more power. Avoid the sixteen valve cars because the insurance is crippling and the se need to be maintained by somebody with a lot more experience than you are likely to gain in that time. The 8 valve petrol TZI cars are very cheap, though and might well be more up your street.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

insurance on the 16v is not that bad!!!!
i pay £265 f/c with protected,legal, courtosey car, audio cover, windscreen cover, 3pft on other vehicles etc etc with the car parked on the main road! admitedly i am 27 with full ncb, but when i bought the car in 2001 it was less than 400 3pft!!
if you want the 16v look then i might suggest joining the 205gti drivers forums as they have a habbit of buying up 16'v's for the engine and nothing else then throwing the car away! (much to the 16v owners anger!!!) so you could get one with all the bits and the kit and dropin a std engine??? or Diesel like vanny if you so desire!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Yes a GTI 16 valve shell with a 1.9 TD in it would be the way to go :D
Or a TZD with one, like the Hooligan :twisted: I dont pay a lot for my insurance either, but then I do have a grey beard. Leasrn how your car works first though, and welcome to the wacky world of citroens.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'd sell it up. I doubt very much it'll be what you want in a car. If you try and barry a BX it'll end up looking awful

Ironically I had a 1989 14RE for my first car. It was beige too 8)
Insurance was good compared with friends Novas and Fiestas and all that tack, and I fitted an AX GT twin choke carb and intake manifold, 205 1.6 GTi alloys and a BX GTi interior.

I had 85ish BHP, leccy windows and hydraulics. I was da man!!!!

So I can see where you're coming from.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

i forgot i had these on the computer! As kitch said 'If you try and barry a BX it'll end up looking awful'

Proof if it were needed!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You weren't joking :lol: :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

£105 on insurance each for my 2 bx's thats because im now 30 which means I now drive slow apparently. Driving a non turbo diesel there probably not far off, but hey I can do 90! if i get along run up!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

i was 21 when i got my GTi Hurricane and was only paying 250quid.

Now 23 the 4x4 is less that 200quid fully comp, protected no claims.

I've got 6 years no claims though.

I dont think we should discourage this lad from having his BX and doing what he wishes with it.

With such an abundance of high spec BX's being broken theres loads of potential to upgrade his 14 with a nice interior, electric bits and a nice set of 16v rims :D

I agree though, learning how the hydraulics work is the key to happy ownership! Thats what us lot are here for anyway!
Over and out from me
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Is there a mileage limit on the 4X4?

Sorry - only kidding - I'm immensly curious to know how you get along with it.

jeremy
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

LOL, my mileage limit is set by me being scared it of going wrong!!!

I picked it up from London last weekend, drove from there to Bury St Edmonds and then back to derby, around 200 miles. I've since done about 50 miles in it.

The transmission appears to be fine. I think there is a problem with the AFM though as its hunting at idle.

I've got some diagrams off the net to check it so i'm going to have a look today.
Over and out from me
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Not tempted by the pair of 4x4 estates so you'll be in spares for life, Ian?

By the way, I do think a 14 makes a sensible first BX, as it's got lowish tax, insurance, and engine parts are available from so many other PSA cars. The more upmarket trim is, by and large, a doddle to transplant.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Ian,how do you get your insurance so cheap?When my 4x4 was on the road,the insurance people used to sting me quite savagely :evil: "BX 4x4,we don't list that so that will be one arm and two legs sir"Even my TZD costs me over £250 and I'm 39.I guess Barnsley must be a dear place to insure cars
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

tim which company do you insure through as i pay more than £105 and i am 34 with 4 years no claims i am with budget?
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Insurance

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Perhaps we should start a separate topic on the subject of insurance.It reaally p****s me off that although I paid £700 for my car last year,if anything happens to it,I'll get bugger all for it.Like I said previously,I pay the insurance people quite handsomely for the privelige of driving my BX although I've got full no-claims and conviction free since 99
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................