Ive got a TZD today

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

jeremy wrote: If its a petrol car its not a good idea to smoke at the same time.
:D :D :D :D
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

docchevron1472 wrote:
jeremy wrote: If its a petrol car its not a good idea to smoke at the same time.
:D :D :D :D
unless you don't really like it anyway....lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Went up for a day trip to Wakefield today to meet Ken, very nice chap who has bucketfull loads of citroen knowledge, so was great to learn some things today.

Ken kindly sorted out the following:

Rear boot adjusted, nice & quiet now, no more rattles...
Bonnett wasnt closing as tight as it should, again rattling on idle, now its spot on.
Sorted out heater blower issue, it appears to have been a dodgy contact, but possilbe blower replacement due to worn bushes, will see how it goes, but seems great at the mo.
Got glovebox light to work, hurrah i can actually see whats in.
Spotted a couple of oil leak's (only minor)
Some sort of cowling under the side of the engine was missing which mean suspension was rubbing a big pipe (an expensive one it think), so cover added, just need a couple of plastic plugs to finish off.
LHM pump confirmed as being leaky (eventually, it took a few hours before it started weeping).
Also spotted the front strut return pipe wasn't connected, hence leakage from that area, new one recommended but luckily found a spare pipe connecter thingy which will do as a temporary fix (possibly permanant, unless the pipe splits).
Greased parts of the engine bay to ward of rust, did some rear brake pipes as well. One rear brake pipe had been clamped incorrectly which would have cut through the brake line, now sorted, that could have been well dodgy without brakes.
Checked out my LHM fluid that i bought, turns out to be green afterall, i must have cateracts, in the bottle it doesnt look green, but poured some into the cap & yup its green, so topped her up.
Checked oil level & topped up.
I managed to get alloy wheel off car & back on again (apparently tricky to realliagn?? either skill or beginners luck on my part?? i know which one i will tell everyone....lol).
Some bolts were missing from intercooler attaching it to engine,so they were replaced.
Cambelt covers were missing, to be replaced when some have been located.
A few other things were spotted yet which dont require immediate attention, but will be done when i have located the parts..... also some cleaning of pipework to stop oil/lhm knackering rubber.
Blimey is that all?? but no, cigarette lighter was dead, all the fuses on psgr side were individually tested, all ok so that was the only thing that stumped Ken, even changed the lighter for another, still no juice. Ken thought that there might be some other fuses in the engine bay, we couldnt find them, anyone?????
Ken also lent me his sphere removal chain tool & showed me how to get the green beasties off, so will have a go with Gti tomorrow (unless its pissing it down).

So a big thankyou to Ken for spending his Sat messing on with my car, also was fed & watered by his mum as well (so pass my thanks on to your mum Ken), a good & productive day in Wakefield. Also met Henry (the dog) & one of Ken's mates who drives an XM.

So provissionaly booked in sometime in next couple of weeks to get Ken to show me how to fit the lhm pump when i get it & to do a full lhm change & a possible service as well.

I'm learning, slowly but surely.....
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Great news Mulley that sounds a lot more positive, Ken knows a lot about BXs doesnt he :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Great news Mulley that sounds a lot more positive, Ken knows a lot about BXs doesnt he :)
Stewart
Too right he does,he's taught me a thing or 2 and a bloody nice bloke too
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

That`s Ken for you Mulley, all round top bloke and no mistaking.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Good man Mulley, glad your getting there, any pics of the beasty with the alloys on?
Last edited by tim leech on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

BX Bandit wrote:Around 56mph (90kph) is in theory the most economic speed to drive at. I've tried for a bit but just get bored :lol:
Yeah thats real boring, my brother-in-law always reckons to this slow driving but I always reckon to do what the speed signs say. :wink: :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

No pics yet Tim, but will take a few when the weather is nice & the car has been washed.

Way2go, nothing pixxxs me off more than bods driving below the speed limit for any given area, if these people want to save fuel, dont drive... right thats my moan over with... hehe...

With Ken's advice i managed to succesfully take off the front spheres on the Gti & swap them with the TZD's, wow, the Gti handles like it should have always.

I noticed that the Gti spheres are smaller than the TZD's, i think Westroen have fitted the wrong one's (anyone got any thoughts on this?), so even though the bar rating is a correct 55, the damper must be the wrong one, hence lovely comfy ride, but cant take any corners..... just got to get around to taking off the rears & the accumulator & then get over to Westroen for an explanation & either exchange or refund.....
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Boo hoo, the heater fan is acting up again, i was really hoping that it had been sorted as its a right royal pain in ass. Its either that dodgy connector going dodgy again or its the fan motor thats actually shagged, so might be a case of replacing the connecter 1st (that should be cheaper) & then if no joy its got to be the fan......
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

That connector plugs directly onto the motor and it's brushes, a new fan motor complete I think, I have one here if you can manage for a while.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of offers on this, as they hardly ever fail.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I eventually sorted my heater last year - the connectors to the motor are rather prominent and no doubt pick up water and damp through the grill. They were very corroded and took many attenpts to get clean - with switch cleaner and other things that didin't really help. However I eventually got a good connection and the thing has been fine since - now with full speed for the first time in the cars life.

I was in fact on the point of pruning the connectors and arranging an alternative - probably screw in's - and expect next time I'll have no alternative.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Actually, the connector plugs onto the motor via a couple of copper straps which can and do work loose. Strip and repair instructions will be found in BXPRESS if you keep going back on the last month link to around September-October last year. I've never had to chuck a fan motor away and lots of us have saved them.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Thanks for the info guy's on the fan blower, sounds like it may be an idea to follow Tom's advice to see if its just that rather than the blower, afterall if it ain broke dont chuck it.....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Way2go, nothing pixxxs me off more than bods driving below the speed limit for any given area
There's 2 sides to that coin - both bad: 45 in a 60....oh, and 45 in a 30...does that sign mean nothing to you? Did you even see it? Arrrrgggghhh!!!!! But yes, 45 in 60 is more frustrating. They also seem to manage just a few extra mph just when there's a slight chance to overtake.

Typically, the driver is either above 60, a bird doing her lippy/on the phone/blond or just simply someone who shouldn't be on the road cos they are clearly in cloud cuckoo land :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue