2 in two

Anything about BXs
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Working in the rain, a true enthusiast Jon, my spanners are almost rusting these days, just a bit on some Xantias these days.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Speaking of conversions has anyone ever done a 16v estate?! Or even a GTi? Do any of the CX units fit the BX, I wonder. (Too much time on my hands, you are thinking...)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The BX 19TRI was an estate with a GTi 8v engine.

My uncle had one back in 1989, what a car!

My other uncle bought a gti 8v in 1989 too! Loved that even more!
Over and out from me
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

The CX units will almost certainly not fit a BX. As for the 16Valve estate, this isn't really what the estate is for, being heavier than the saloon, some performance is lost. TZI estates came with 122 BHP 8valvers and were quite brisk. I'm inclined to think that any sixteen valve engines that are fit to fit and not knackered are in a few good remaining saloons. The cost of rebuilding one properly, together with the projected lifespan of both car and engine makes this a don't bother, buy something else proposition to me, I'm afraid. The 2.1 diesel can be fitted and would give damn near TZI performance but with very much more torque. It wouldn't need a rebuild and would return better fuel economy than any GTI. 'tain't easy but it can be done. Then you have an estate that can really haul.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Well done Jon, the BX club spirit is alive and well 8)
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The Estate I just bought was originally intended as a "sleeper" by fitting a 16V engine which was going to be modded anyway because the even further novelty use was inteded as a hillclimb and sprint car (remember a few years back there was a Volvo Estate in the Touring cars in the UK?) but we decided against it on two grounds; first was the time factor as I don't think it was ever going to happen and the other was that for hillclimbs, it would have been to big a handful on some of the tight tracks we intended running.
As a sprint car however, I still think it would work if the weight distribution was played with and really stiff spheres run on the rear as I think that would tend to hold the front down a bit more solidly.
I was looking forward at seeing the expressions at the traffic lights when some little ricer in his Hyundies gave it a bootful and suddenly heard that induction roar from around 4000 rpm, but then I drove the Estate through Brisbane traffic and found that even in auto form with that 122 bhp engine, I scared the crap out of most others in adjacent lanes; the look on my passengers face in the estate said it all. :twisted:

Alan S :roll:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
M

Post by M »

AlanS wrote:As a sprint car however, I still think it would work if the weight distribution was played with and really stiff spheres run on the rear as I think that would tend to hold the front down a bit more solidly.
Alan S :roll:
You see there is a use for flat spheres after all!

Well done Jon.