Original alloys...

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Original alloys...

Post by Philip Chidlow »

... what alloys were fitted when specified as an option on non-GTi/TZD cars post 1990? Were they the silver GTi-style alloys or was there another sort?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AFAIK they were the standard silver 5.5J alloys matey.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

They were technically what my dad has on the GT....the ones that look like metric alloys but are in fact 14in.

Not many around though....thats probably because after 1990 that design looked worse than the wheeltrims :P

AFAIK the 5.5J were only fitted to TZD/GTi/4x4 and one or two odd ones like TRI's etc.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Your spot on kitch, only visual difference besides the size was the centres were black where as the metric ones where all polished. A rare thing nowadays!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It's probably heresy to say but I'm warming to the look of these after market alloys in Halfrauds etc over the oe offerings. (ducks) 8) :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

:shock:

Firing squad!!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Way2go wrote:It's probably heresy to say but I'm warming to the look of these after market alloys in Halfrauds etc over the oe offerings. (ducks) 8) :lol:
Have you got a Euro Parts near you mate? They do some nice after market alloys at a good prices.
Vauxhall apologist.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Way2go wrote:It's probably heresy to say but I'm warming to the look of these after market alloys in Halfrauds etc over the oe offerings. (ducks) 8) :lol:
Keeper of The Goat - please attend to this member.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hmm, suitable punishment? Well, there isn`t one I`m afraid. It`s nowt to do with the fact I have after market alloys on mine you understand.

Way2go, you`re now free2go :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Im thinking of some new rims for the 16v next year myself, 15" ones with tyres you can get for £250 nowadays!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

One thing to watch Tim (and others) is that the tyre size MIGHT not be any good.
When I was looking at some 17`s for the Merc I got all kinds of very good offers on wheel/tyre deals but none were any bleeding good because the tyres were no use size wise (put the speedo out etc).
Might be worth finding out what size tyres are best and which will or won`t suit then shopping around.
Once armed with the info you should hopefully be able to land a bargain. About 8 months back there was someone on eBay selling REALLY cheap aftermarket wheels/tyres on eBay in BX fitments.
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

tim leech wrote:Im thinking of some new rims for the 16v next year myself, 15" ones with tyres you can get for £250 nowadays!
Yeah but they look shit to be fair :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The ones ive seen I think arent bad, Im not putting 17"s on it as the rides hard enough as mines been lowered already!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

How do you lower a bx? & more importantly why? i personally dont like these type of modifications as they can cause more problems than they solve, i.e. makes car go round corners better, but the ride is shite, so may as well have no hydraulic suspension & just have normal springs....

I'm not criticising you Tim, as thats how you bought it?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The usual method of loweringa BX is either to re-adjust the height correctors or simply cut another notch in the height corrector control quadrant.

Lowering cars at speed is now often a function of air suspension and indeed I tink its a function of Hydractive as fitted to XM and Xantia. The idea is that the car senses its on a motorway as its not going round corners and the road is relatively smooth and then adjusts itself appropriately. The manufacturers even fit an override to prevent it working for those who tow trailers (adjustment of the hitch height could cause instability)

Since adjusting the height on a Citroen is accomplished simply by shortening the effective length of the struts by letting some oil out it shouldn't make much difference to the ride except by reducing the available suspension travel which isn't needed on smooth roads. To begin with the stuts may appear a bit stiff as pistons will be running on unpolished surfaces. There may be problems with knackered struts as the seals may be running over ridges or other wear points.