cooling system

BX Tech talk
swampi

cooling system

Post by swampi »

Greeting from New Zealand, I’ve just joined the forum, and recently purchased a 1992 (assembled in 91 I think) BX 1.7 tzd. The amazing amount of knowledge that this and other forums have on the BX convinced me of the purchase, even if we are 12000 and a bit miles from France! I’ve already got one electric window working with a tip from the forum. So thank you everyone…

The car has developed a leak from the heater pipe (heater to engine-block, it’s got brading around it). The pipe is on it’s way from France (I know it’s going to be pricey!) the car now needs to get from my place to my new found mechanic, the legendary Alan Skellens in Hamilton (50KMS).

I’ve been using it on very short journeys (2-5 kms). I very carefully check the coolant level before each trip (500mls per day added). On Saturday the red coolant temp warning came on, after stopping promptly, I noticed that the thermostat had not even opened and the radiator was cold, Alan advised me that I most probably had air in the system and to bleed it before any more driving.

I can only find one bleed and that is on the radiator, is that correct? I‘ve looked on the forum for more details but get mixed reports of between 1 and 3 bleeders. Am I missing the others? Also when I took out the rad bleed no air has come out, so if I only have one bleeder how can I get the air out from the block?

Anyone?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

My DTR Turbo (89) has an unusual (large) shaped thermostat housing and there is an allen headed drain plug on that. Undo a few turns and the air should come out. Incidentally I can bleed it simply by filling the header, no need to use inverted bottles and other devices.

Jeremy
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

My 91 TZD has two bleeders, one on the thermostat housing (an allan-headed screw) and the one on the top of the radiator - turn and lift it up to open it. I do need to use an inverted large pop bottle with tape around the neck as a header tank extension to get the coolant level high enough to force all the air out. Also make sure your heater is full on when refilling it to make sure the heater matrix is filled with coolant (not air :wink: ).
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
swampi

Post by swampi »

Cooling system is ok, free of air. Just the pipe to fit now. So thanks for the advice.

By the way I ran the car with the rad cap off for 40 mins and then went for a spin, the thermostat was open but neither of the cooling fans were running.

Is this normal?? And how hot does the system have to be before they run?

Mark
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I don' think my TD BX fans come on more than once a year - and probably less frequently than that. The thing was last topped up with water in June or before so is not loosing anything, had a new thermostat a couple of years ago along with a new rad (old one had a small leak) and has a temp gauge which always reads low.

One day (if I've still got it) I'll fit a light to let me know when the fans do operate!

jeremy
ScottFromNZ

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Hi swampi, How did you get on with your BX heater hoses? I dread having to change these ones. Alan Sklenars probably has the most knowledge of thee cars in the Waikato so you are talking to the right guy.
Scott

BX TZD Turbo
swampi

Post by swampi »

Hi scott

Alan is doing it right now, the hose in question was not avaliable ( it was suppposed to come from france!!) so he is going to make one up!

I'll let you know how he gets on...

It's good to know someone else with a BX TZD in the Waikato.

Cheers Mark
ScottFromNZ

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Another very good Citroen garage is JJ's Car Services in Cambridge. John and Henrico know these cars inside out and are very reasonable. I had my octopus replaced by them 18 months ago and have had them fit sphere refilling valves for me on the BX. When I was in there yesterday getting a WOF he had a DS, a GSA and another BX diesel in the workshop.
Scott

BX TZD Turbo
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Its worth pulling the black grille forward and actually spinning the fans by hand, they come on so rarely that they can actually sieze up, then they blow the fuse, mine were in this state but lots of penetrant spray and a new fuse soon got things going, it is also worth noting that my fuse was not the in the position the handbook/manual says, I just examined all of them until I found the blown one, now my fans come on at 90 degrees though at the slow speed they are difficult to hear without walking to the front of the car.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ScottFromNZ

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Quite a while after I bought my TZD, two summers ago, I wondered if the cooling fans ran as I had never heard them even after periods of hot idling. I tested them by shorting the thermoswitch on the radiator and they burst into life. I have a portable infrared thermometer. When hot the temp seems to sit normally at about 82 degrees as measured at the thermostat housing. Then one time after climbing a long slow winding hill in the summer I heard the fans running. I measured the temperature and it was 89 degrees. I have a spare new thermoswitch if needed but mine has now proved to be OK.
I also tested that the coolant temp warning lights were working. The test I did just tested the bulbs though, not the temp switches.
Scott

BX TZD Turbo
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I fitted a temp gauge in a pod on the dash, normally the thing sits at 80, a bit of welly (steady 85-90mph) sees it rise to 85 degrees or so , the fans come on (slow speed) at about 90 degrees, usually after climbing a steep hill second/third gear.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I put a new thermostat and temp sensor in my TZD yesterday. Prior to this, with the old thermostat and temp sensor, it normally ran at 85-90, with the occasional rise to 95 if I was going up a hill. Now it sits right at 80 and hardly moves at all....so it seems the new sensor is a bit different. Shouldn't make any difference with the thermostat as once they are fully open, the flow/temp should be the same in both cases.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sometime after 1994 the diesel thermostats have been lowered in temperature. Both my Bx (1989 TD) and ZX had 93 or so thermostats but the replacements were 82's which I understand is the later type. Heaters seem OK.

jeremy