Why the BX?

Anything about BXs
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Why the BX?

Post by Gareth Wales »

Has anyone resolved this question.
It seems to me to be a matter of style.
Our cars now look so different, but at the same time, indefintably "new" in that they are not jelly-mould.
A good looking TZD went for about £700 this week.
Brings me onto t he nexct inevitable ques tion -]
Why the BX Club :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

This board has evolved from the Andyspares (now GSF) help forum - and if you look at another of its successors (the Frenchcarforum) you will see that the queries relating to Citroens outstrip those relating to other French cars by a considerable number.

Hydraulic Citroens are eminently mendable by enthusiastic mechanics - but understanding the system is not easy and there is a great deal of poor information around about the things.

The internet has proved an ideal method of bringing together those with problems to be solved and those with the necessary expertise to solve those problems - and I think its right to say that there is now a much better understanding of the things than there was say 5 years ago.

That I supose answers the question - why Citroens - BX - well they are fundamentally excellent cars, mechanically strong - good riding with good brakes and roadholding, rather different and good to drive. If you want a family sized car that's a bit different and you can look after yourself - then a BX could be what you are looking for.

One of the features of the BX which is not immediately apparent is its very light weight - whch ensures good performance and economy - and tends to make the Xantia which is much heavier feel slow and thirsty in some forms.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Re: Why the BX?

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Gareth Wales wrote:Has anyone resolved this question.
It seems to me to be a matter of style.
Our cars now look so different, but at the same time, indefintably "new" in that they are not jelly-mould.
A good looking TZD went for about £700 this week.
Brings me onto t he nexct inevitable ques tion -]
Why the BX Club :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Answer to first question:-I've always loved them since they first came out.
Answer to second question:-Why not?This car has a small but popular following.Jon has created a wonderful site where "the enlightened few" can "chat",exchange ideas,help each other and have a laugh too.As the years go by,maybe the site will grow to accomodate the ever decreasing numbers of BX's,maybe not.As it is,I enjoy communicating with fellow owners of my favourite car and will hopefully continue to do so for quite a long time
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I grew up with a BX. Something about them just feels like home. And my red 16v feels like home more than any other car.

As far as the club goes, its a good club and a great forum. To be honest we're pretty limited on the number of forums available, so thats probably what brings most here. Not that we need more to be honest, I think this one does the job well.
I'm also on the 16v forum, but my love of the cars spans wider than the 16v alone, it just so happens that the 16v is my favourite model, whereas some on the 16v forum don't really have much time for any BX other than a 16v. I like 19RD's for example :lol:
I guess I get the best of both worlds. I go on the 205 GTi drivers forum often too, because the knowledge of the XU9J4 is awesome there. They steal the engines, I steal the knowledge :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

Err ...........I saw one ine in 1983? ........and fell in love with it [it was red] .........I've always admired them since then ...........I always thought ........"I'd love one them" .........
And then the Xantia came out [somehow it did'nt quite look "just right"] .........

Fast forwad to 2004 ........I wanted a car [I've always driven 2CV 's ......... for years&years] .........
I wanted something with a bit of pulling power for my trailer tent .........I gave a freind who deals in used cars the instructions "Get me a car which will pull my trailer" .........he turned up with a BXtzd and said "You've always like Citroens" ............I saw it,fell in love with it and bought it .....I love it ....[it's old,past it's sell by date,falling to bits and it looks like a shed] .............but I dont know what I'll do when it eventually dies .......I dont want a Xantia :cry:
I just wish it was red :cry:
Tel.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I love it ....[it's old,past it's sell by date,falling to bits and it looks like a shed] .............but I dont know what I'll do when it eventually dies
Terry me old fruit...repair repair repair. Far cheaper than buying new too!!

I remember my Dad buying an ex demo 1.9D in Gold on a 'B' plate. Fist car I could ever read in and of course it went up and down...what more could an 11 year old want??? He went on to have another 2 (one was a TZD with aircon J***AAG - probably gone but anyone know????)After the Morris a TZD Hurricane came up at the local garage so I had it, only diesel + Rain + Z bend = car + Tree :shock: It was written off and I gott £500 more than I paid for it so I went out and bought another only it was a TGD spec but I've had her since 1997.

This club is great, we look after each other which I think is agreat touch. Long may it continue.......... :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

Why the BX?

I reckon the main reason being they're different. But for me, the fact that they're very reliable is the reason. :D
RED 1993 TZD Turbo EST. 182,661miles
My everyday car for last 9 years, about to be seperated {July 2008}, and then i'll be Bx'less first time in 18 years....
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Why the BX? You'll find out if you follow the link on the homepage:
Its Usefulcomfyquickandcheapreliableandfrugal, (even though the sight of it is something quite unusual...)
Sorry guys, Panto season.
Oh! yes it is.
fourwheelsteer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by fourwheelsteer »

I wasn't planning on buying a BX but I needed a car, any car, quickly as I was without transport and I didn't have much money to spend. My BX had been traded in against a new Focus at the local Ford dealer. Having taken the BX it looked like becomming a permanent fixture at the dealership. By the time I bought it the price was £95 and, with a long MOT to its credit, I decided that I couldn't go wrong.

I always liked the idea of a real Citroen but I'd never been brave enough to take the plunge. I actually enjoy driving my BX although I miss the effortless performance of my old Honda. I think I'd like a BX 16V one day and a Mk1 BX if there are any left. There are also other Citroens I'd now like to own, I quite fancy a XM and even (dare I say it?) a Xantia, particularly the VSX and Activa.
2008 Proton Gen2 EcoLogic
1998 Honda Prelude 2.2VTi

Now BX-less...

On my way to becoming a motoring writer.
My Blog: http://fourwheelsteer.blogspot.com/
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

tom wrote:Why the BX? You'll find out if you follow the link on the homepage:
Its Usefulcomfyquickandcheapreliableandfrugal, (even though the sight of it is something quite unusual...)
Sorry guys, Panto season.
Oh! yes it is.
Oh no it isn't(sorry all,couldn't resist :oops: )
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

fourwheelsteer wrote: ....................and even (dare I say it?) a Xantia, particularly the VSX and Activa.
I was offered a Xantia today .......1.9td,"M" plate,long test,£200 ..........I told him to stuff it :twisted:
T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Each to their own, but there seems to be some adversity towards the poor Xantia which folowing on from the best selling mid sized Citroen ever it had a hard act to follow!, my dad had one as you know when the BX ceased production and his 19TGD was due to for change, we tried all the other models before having one as there wasnt anyting on the market to touch it for ride comfor style and goodies.

I prefer a BX myself due to its character and individuality, but as a newer replacement for the BX it still does have its quirks and the hydraulics giving that ride we all know and love, gone is the single wiper, covered rear arches etc the same as all modern citroens but be fair they arent a bad car. And compared to the in my view ugly C5 thats replaced it they are a nice looking motor too.

So come on guys give the Xantia a chance :D , its no Bx but it deserves better than some of the slagging off its gets. :cry:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I tend to agree with Tim, as when it came out I remember it was a fresh face and it got a fair amount of praise for its looks. I think it looks a bit staid, to be honest, a bit like a Dawoo or something, with little or no flair, but the fact it 'goes up and down' does count in its favour. I have just come back from France and my friend said they are an 'old person's car'. As for the BX? In France they're in the 'banger' category!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Im not old :shock:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yeah, but you're not in France either :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v