ooooooohhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything about BXs
saint gaz
BXpert

ooooooohhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by saint gaz »

At lunch time today whilst travelling home from a local garden centre, I had an accident in my BX. Wife and 4 ½ month old little one both ok as was the occupants of the car I slid in to. Approaching a set of traffic lights I started to break, it happened a bit quick, but basically the wheels locked and I skidded in to the back off a Renault Clio. Not much damage on the Clio a few scratches to her bumper. But it looks like I have taken the brunt of the impact.

First look I thought it’s a right off with a lot of damage to front bumper both head lights and indicators & bonnet. When I got home I looked under the bonnet with the breakdown tow truck man. (Who recently scrapped a bx turbo diesel after he said he had if for about 10 years he wish he hadn’t got rid of it). The metal work that the rad is bolted to is slightly bent. He said that I can easily be pulled out.

I have rang the insurance and started the ball rolling……

Will keep you all posted.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I'm sorry to hear that mate, glad to hear all involved walked away unhurt though.
I'd be very surprised if the the insurance company don't right it off but you can always tell em to get stuffed and pay for the repair work yourself. I have a headlamp you can have mate - the reflective part is a little faded but it's never failed an MOT because of it so thats one part of your list!! You'll find bits no problem and they won't be expensive. Good luck and keep us posted :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If you scratch a BX insurers will right it off!

Mine TD's been hit in the back, side and front. All three accidents were not my fault and wrote the car off each time but I insisted on keeping the salvage and put the cra right every time.
The bang I had in the front was bad, I strapped the car to the house and used chain straps round a tree to pull the front out. Looks mint now!!! :D

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Take the money, if they right the car off ask for the salvage and im sure between us all we can help you out with bits. Bumpers are what £20 as is a bonet max, £5 per headlamp and indicators £2-3 used. they all bold on aswell, wings too are easily swopped.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Sorry about that, just very glad no one was hurt, as was said a scratch nowadays is enough, a bit of a long shot but give ed4ferrets a call he might be able to help.
All the best.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Of course the most important thing is your own safety ... for a lightweight car the BX seems incredibly robust. It certainly saved my daughter from any injury at all when she skidded into a very solid stone wall in northern Ireland. My car was as near to mint as I've seen, the insurance company had already seen pictures of its superb condition when I took out the policy - yet the insurance company wouldn't even consider selling it back to me as scrap; I didn't know that was within their remit - but I nevwer saw my car again.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

wouldn't even consider selling it back to me as scrap
Probably because its worth more as scrap than the sum of cash they paid to you - the opposite of greater than the sum of its parts so to speak.

What happens if you refuse the pay out tho'? Surely the car doesn't become the property of the insurer unless the owner agrees to the settlement? (or have not read the small print again??)
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Insurance is a minefield.
When my car got hit up the ar$e the assesor turned up, condemned it and said they would send a truck round to take the car away and crush it. I told him to f%(k off (infact I wasn't that polite! :shock: ). Never accepted a pay out and spent two weeks over xmas a few years back with dad welding a new back end on it.
I'd never let some to$$er from an insurance company take my toys away. EVER.

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Always buy them back, find the parts, repair it taking lots of photos as you go, get a new MOT and robert is your parents sibling, mind you the insewer ants companies sometimes want too much for em, my mate recently crunched his old Galaxy TDI and they wrote it off but wanted £800 for the wreck! previously we bought back a BX17RD for £60 (light frontal, repaired for £25, even found the right coloured bits :) ) Xantia, hard rear end impact,£100 no parts needed, just has ripples in the roof
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Keep us posted Gaz, just dont let them take your car! If anyone wante dto take my 16v or even more so my Sd1 if it had a non major accident then they would have a full out fight on their hands!
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

A bit of an update for you chaps.

The insurance company said they would take it to a local body shop to be assessed and repaired. The body shop in question has a bad reputation locally. I know for a fact they repaired Nissan skyline and went racing it at 3 am one morning down a local bypass. When I protested they said I can take it to a garage of my choice / repair it myself. by doing that i forfit a hire car.

I Have priced up lights from G.S.F. £80 all in. my problem would be bumper and bonnet. I do have spray booth facilities in work to re-spray and my brother has done panel beating and re-spraying, so that shouldn’t be to much of a problem. Still not decided definitely what to do at the moment but I hope to get it back mobile one way or another.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hey St Gaz, glad to hear no-one was injured. Now, regarding the parts you require how about putting a message on`BX for sale and wanted` on this very forum. Chances are someone may have what you want and you can repair your car very cheaply?
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I've got a short nose bonnet. It's extremley faded red / pink though...

Cheers
Chris G

saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Thanks for the offer docchevron1472 i may not need it just yet.

Situation is this at the moment. My brother and I removed the bumper and found the front cross member and slam panel are damaged. my brother said he could re shape them but idealy new ones should be used. I am waiting on prices for this. I have also had a very kind offer of a bonnet and bumper from a fellow border local to me , who said we can sort this out over christmas.

Looks promising. Hopefully over the holidays we can spend a bit of time on her and get it all sorted.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Goodo!