Moving on from a BX

Anything about BXs
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Consumption wasn't my exact point although I'm surprised at how close the figures are!!
If you're going to pay Xantia V6 consumption etc you might as well have a Jaguar or Mercedes ?
you've got a good wedge of cash invested in the M/J as compared to the Xant.
I don't know Jags or Mercs, although I've been in a few Mercs as taxis and found them soulless and the ride was not a patch on a citroen.

I would rather I had less cash tied up in a motor. In actual cash, you lose more on a Merc than a Citroen (when buying new that is). To me, the Xantia has at least some persona....but each to his own really.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

jeremy wrote:If you're going to pay Xantia V6 consumption etc you might as well have a Jaguar or Mercedes ?
:shock:

Taxi!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I wouldnt contemplate buying a Mini. They're completely impractical for my purposes.

No boot, acceptable (at best) fuel consumption, RUST in awkward places, engine not a patch on the 2cv, bumpy harsh ride, no ground clearance.

OK, they're a hoot to drive (my mates had em when i had a 2cv) but as i'm an outdoors type, country bumpkin a 4x4 or even a 2cv has infinately more appeal.

If a 2cv had 4 wheel drive and more power it'd be my everyday car :D
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Just to add to the Xantia V6 debate, i loved mine but it cost £180 a week in fuel :cry:

A pending heater matrix and full service was the nail in the coffin for me.

I had to put a new exhaust centre box and back box on mine. Price?: £271 for the back box and £250 for the centre pipe. OUCH.

You cant just nip down the scrappers and get bits for the V6 models. Even interior trim was different being the exclusive model.

I miss it dearly but would i buy another??? Well i got the offer of possibly the cheapest and best P1 exclusive a month back and turned it down. It aint worth the hassle.
Over and out from me
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ian_Fearn wrote:If a 2cv had 4 wheel drive and more power it'd be my everyday car :D
Er, cit made a twin engine 2cv 4x4. Mehari IIRC??

Now theres the answer to your problem oui??!!?!?!? :D

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Or a short w/b landrover??
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Austin Gypsy??

Sublime / ridiculus!!!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

docchevron1472 wrote:
Ian_Fearn wrote:If a 2cv had 4 wheel drive and more power it'd be my everyday car :D
Er, cit made a twin engine 2cv 4x4. Mehari IIRC??

Now theres the answer to your problem oui??!!?!?!? :D

Cheers
Chris G
Tis a shame its got no boot.... Oh and the fact they're well over 20grand now.....

Louis Barber does a 4x4 2cv conversion. I'd go for that but its soooo expensive and you do loose your 70mph cruising ability.
Over and out from me
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

£20k's????? :shock:

Time for a lottery win Ian!!

Who needs a boot anyway?? Mines usually got an engine in it!

Cheers
Chris G

Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

An interesting debate.

I too was faced with this problem not so long ago. My beloved BX has just got too old to run everyday, and I had sold the 300zx. I was looking around at Alfa 156 V6 as a replacement, but decided to stick with Citroen.

I ended up getting a Xsara VTS and I can honestly say that I am really chuffed. Its a great compromise between the out and out speed of the 300zx and the brilliance of the BX estate.

I am now using it as my everyday car as the estate has now retired, and its returning around 33mpg, yet is pretty rapid, and handles very very well.

I think its the perfect car for me to replce the BX with (BTW, I had an Activa for two years, so I wont suggest the xantia)
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I came very close to buying a Xsara VTR or VTS 12 months ago. I bought a Golf instead as all the Xsara's i looked at were abused wrecks.

I often find 2nd hand Citroens in awful condition. I've looked at countless Xantia's and XM's less than 5 years old in a right old state.

I've no idea how many people have put their own little bit of this debate in, but so far i dont think ANYBODY has come up with anything even mildly close to what the BX gives in a newer form.

All modern cars look very similar to me now. Back in the good old days a family hatch was a sleek, low slung car with sharp lines, light weight to give great handling, excellent performance and decent economy.

Compare the Mk2 Cavalier to the latest insult on my eyes... The new Vectra. OK, the new vectra is miles ahead in terms of refinement and safety but interior space vs exterior size, comfort, performance and looks dont feel like its 20 years on.

IMHO the same can be said comparing the BX to the C5. Cars have got bigger, safer and less involving. Considering all the advancements in technology, the 2 litre petrols still only give 30mpg and the 2.0HDI C5 gives no more mpg than a BX turbo diesel. Engine refinement is streets ahead now but i have to say that doesnt bother me one little bit.
Over and out from me
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hmm would anyone use a 15 year old Alfa as avery day car? honestly! I wouldnt.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ve been thinking about this for a while now and would say a replacement for my BX would be either the new Astra or the new Vectra. Second hand I`d plump for a Galaxy or Sharan (yes Tim, a VW :shock: !) diesel. After the last one was still going strong with 412,000 on it and was so nice to drive and so useful it`d be great.
None of the above cars may have much character (in fact the Galxy/Sharan have none at all) but getting older with kids means practical rules now, though a Vectra VXR should do everything I want!
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Glancing idly through Autotrader on the net I was staggered at the enormous prices being asked for Nissan Pulsar GTi - seems there is even a 4 x 4. Does anyone know what is special about them?

I'm talking about £4000 or more for K or L reg with highish mileages. (over 50,000 - so nothing remarkable or 'nearly new')

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... n_pr=3000&