Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Anything about BXs
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

He ain't got a line tho' dude! If its not too bad a quick blowie should sort it out - I managed on the 16v last week. I'm amazed enough crud gets down the channels to block 'em up to be honest!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Is it just my mind thats wandering??? :lol:

Hhmm, I have an airline but dont think it'll stretch to Hampshire!!! :D

It's not so much the tubes that block (although some weird black crud stuff seems to breed in them), it's more you get sh!te build up in the tray and then water cant get into the tubes.
The whole drainage system is a bit shallow, it dont take much to make it over flow.

cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

ed4ferrets wrote:
Kitch wrote:Yeah but the estate was in there nearly half a year....this happened in a week :shock:
Don't complain Kitch, you're always on about how 'quick' a 16v is compared to a diesel :twisted: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I dunno, maybe I'm just gonna have to buy a compressor.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Blow it man blow it..you know you want to!! :lol:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I can lend you a compressor if you need one Kitch (am in Southampton). Claims to be 1.5HP and run to 120 PSI - well that's what B&Q said - personally I think someone used a magnifying glass somewhere but I'm sure its capable of blowing sunshine roof tubes out.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Compressors are one of those items that you never need, till you get one, then you wonder how the hell you ever managed without.
I got the Monica Lewinski spec. All the blow you could ever need! :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi kitch Get a compressor when i got my TZS off Tim the sunroof was sealed up with silicone sealer but under the back seat, rear foot wells and the boot floor was absolutely soaked I blew the drains through with 120Psi but it still didnt clear them fully i ended up removing the headlining only to descover years of leaves and two little bits of black velcro one jamed in each rear drain tube once i cleared all the leaves and velcro out it cured the problem and the car is all dry and i havnt had a leak since the silicone has all been removed and the sunroof works fine now. :shock:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Wanted: new home for goldfish! :wink: :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Sunroofs!

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Ed. Is this a new one I ask myself, goldfish blocking sunroof or am I getting confused again?
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Thanks for the offer Jeremy, thats good of you. I'm actually just looking at compressors now, and they all seem to be 115psi max. Is that enough?

I think its something I should have in my toolbox. Quite a big toolbox obviously :roll:

mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I successfully cleared my rear drain tubes by shoving a long length of curtain wire up them. It came out with dirt all over it from the o/s one, then as I was rodding the n/s one I released some trapped water :D

Blew both of them (yeuch!) and the n/s one made a phut noise of an obstruction being cleared.

Front driver's side tube is easy enough to get at. You can see part of it wedged down the side of the dashboard next to the door pillar. Remove the panel to the right of the ignition switch that on yours probably contains gizmos such as electric mirror adjusters. Reach through the hole and you should be able to locate a circular hole in the side of the door pillar into which is inserted a bunch of wires. Feel in this hole and you will find the drain tube which you can pull out and blow/rod clear.

But you might save a lot of hassle by testing the front tubes first - because the passenger side one is a bit harder to get to: park your car on a downward facing slope, or with one rear wheel on a pavement. Open the sunroof and pour water from a bottle into the drain channels at the front corners. You should hear a hearty glugging sound and see water exiting from underneath the fronts of the door sills. After clearing the rear tubes, I also carefully poured lots of water down the channels towards the rear to give them a good rinse out!

Good luck!

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Kitch

Compressors are a difficult subject. The one I offered I got cheap from B&Q a few years ago and while it may be excellent for powering small nail guns and it blows tyres up nicely its actually very dissappointing as it doesn't seem to have nearly enough guts to spray paint even using a low consumption gun.

The problem with larger ones is noise and power consumption. 3 HP ones may be adequate for paint spraying but I've never used one. I recall being told by a mechanic that his 3 HP (Clarke metallic blue range) would run a windy gun - but died on the 4th wheel.

Alleged air output and tool consumption never add up. When I had the fabrication business I had a 5.5 HP one which was excellent for spraying - but if I ran one dual action sander on it - the thing was running about 2/3rds of the time - in effect a 3HP sander!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

My compressor is a JCB 25Litre tank and a 6 CFM output it was from Argos and it runs all my air tools including pain sprayers and windy guns etc all with no problem.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well I think I might be lucky, and the purchase of a compressor might be able to wait! :D

I faffed around for ages trying to get the rear tubes out from behind the lights. Once they were out I decided to prod them with a curtain rail like Mark suggested. However I was met by a problem, in that my mum refused to let me remove them from the windows.

So I decided to get down on my knees and give it a good blow :shock:

There was nothing to begin with, then after about 30secs some very faint gurgling, which got louder. All of a sudden there was a "chug" noise. I barely had time to stop and think before it got me.....

The bit under under the tube on the bumper is what came out of the tube, after the puddle on the floor had hit me in the face and the shit on the left up on the bumper had been spat back out of my mouth :roll:

I tested it.....lots. The water gushing out now is as clear as whats going in! The left hand side was fine anyway, and the fronts seem to be working too, both sides.

I've pulled half the carpet up to let it dry, the heaters on it full pelt now. The dehumidifier removed loads of moisture yesterday too. Might even be dry by the end of the week, but I doubt it being outside.

Overall, success! I am in debt to the BX Club! ^^bx>

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hoorah! Gonna do mine now, even though it dont get wet!