Vera R.I.P

Anything about BXs
M

Post by M »

Mr.B - recycler of BX's wrote:Image
Bloody hell, we have a baby bath just like that one - lord knows what you do with that. :!:
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

jonkw wrote:Nice to see the cranes in action over the UK this weekend! [-X
Yep, cracking piece of kit it is too 8), well worth the money.

Marty. Babies bath is for coolent draining, I have another for oils, very handy as I can drain engine, gearbox and oil filter at the same time :wink:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Dave,

Before you go spending all day ripping the box out - worth noting that some of the 16Vers have just changed the 5th gear in their boxes to the TD one to lower the revs in top. You can do this with the box in situ, as 5th is just bolted on the end under the end cover - if you've got a brown Haynes, it even tells you how to do it (first 5 items or so of stripping the box - even tells you the size of the primary shaft nut!) :D . Unfortunately, whilst giving all the gear and final drive ratios for the early boxes, Haynes just says BE3 for later cars, and doesn't give a break down :( . It's got to be worth whipping the end cover off and counting the teeth on the 5th gear to see if you will get any difference from just fitting the 5th gear unit though.

Of course, if the teeth are the same, then it's the final drive that needs changing, and then you will be pressing that crane into service again :roll:
I NEED a BX TD.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Thanks Richard! I thought the box is different as mine is an N/A with that silly push/pull clutch set up and the TD box has the direct pull cable, can I still swap over the gears?
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

"I thought the box is different as mine is an N/A with that silly push/pull clutch set up and the TD box has the direct pull cable, can I still swap over the gears?"

Ah, now that I don't know I'm afraid :oops: I'd have thought the box and interals were the same, just the clutch operation that was different (don't know why it's different though). There's only one sure way to find out - which clearly you should do in the interest of expanding the BX knowledge!
I NEED a BX TD.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've just noticed your new signature, Richard. Good luck - there are still some good ones around if you look hard and long enough.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The actual box is the same, you just swap over the clutch operating arm, pop some new plastic bearings in while you are at it :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I want to be without the crappy N/A clutch arm, replace the octopus and the bulkhead insulation for the turbo version with the heat shielding, so I think I will remove the power unit and change the gearbox.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Looking at the gearbox ratios the turbo box has higher 3rd 4th and 5th gears. There is therefore a performance /acceleration penalty if you swap boxes.
The best option as Richard has suggested is to just swap the 5th gearset. It takes less than an hour to do. It will give you lower revs - the gearing gives 3.4 mph per 1000 revs more than the standard box.

I have done this on two 8v GTis and the difference is startling. Much less engine noise and better economy and without sacrificing any performance in the lower gears. :idea:
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.