Bloody Weather

Anything about BXs
tim leech

Bloody Weather

Post by tim leech »

Got up early even thought I had 4 hours sleep last night! :wink: To wash and polish the 16v, a trip to leicester to visit Mike P and my mate david who both own 16vs for a chat, parts swop and get a few bits of info.

Soon as I had cleaned it yes the heavens opened, so back in to the garage she went, so Ive put up the christmas decs instead (bah humbug! :twisted:) Now just off back to bed as my legs have packed in through lack of rest!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I know what you mean tim i was going to get the BX cleaned and do some more work on the AX but I am not going out in the rain a all that bl**dy wind it horrible. :(
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Looked at it through the window, not going out in that for anything, the cars can wash themselves for this week.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Mmm..stupid me went out in the wind and rain and replaced my glow plugs and cleaned all the contacts etc, in the aim of preventing coughing on cold start-up...not sure its worked but I'll know for sure in the morning.... then I started fiddling with the pump after winding everything back down for the MOT last week...

It passed!!! with one advisory tho' and that is o.s front wheel bearing...another job to do!!

Frustrating tho' Tim...do you not like your 16v getting wet then?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

No bandit I dont, I have a new company car for that kind of work, I try and keep it dry as much as possible, Im the same with my Sd1 that DOESNT go out in the rain hence why its still here and not dissolved away :D
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Don't blame you with the SD1 - I vowed I would have one as a child. I watched your video the other day (actually, I only watched half of it cos me kids started playing up so I need to go back and finish that off) anyway, the V8 sounded lovely. I've also wanted a V8 P6 - lovely car. Would look good beside my T2000 in a nice garage!! Theres an SD1 just round the corner from me, half and half under a tarp...looks good nic but could do with being covered uo proper.

I've not yet got to keeping my BXs under cover, but I am considering having the 16v for the summer months only...it seems in good nick so would be nice to keep it that way. The TD is my daily workhorse so she'll have to like it and lump it in the weather, be nice to do a full recon on her oneday.

Will you be bringing your 16v camping??
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Wimps!
I spent the day getting soaked unloading this bus engine I bought froma trailor, and I've got MAN FLU!
Wish I hadn't bothered now, I'm cold, moist and the bl~**dy engine's knackered, and the wrong one... £400 wasted. :cry:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Seriously dude..the wrong one? How so monkey?
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well not wrong as such, it Is a GARDNER 6HLX but it's an early unit. Different heads, block, pump, crank etc. The pumps seized solid, the rack (in the pump) is stickier than the one I already have, the sump is cracked all the way round, the manifolds are smashed yadda, yadda, yadda!

I'm hoping the heads, rods, pistons and liners will be ok, then at least I should be able to make a good engine out of the two. Otherwise I'll be very unhappy! :evil:
It's my own fault, I should have gone to look at it before saying I'd have it, but time was short and he needed a decision there and then, I didn't have time to get to Essex so I said Yes. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Never mind, win some, lose some. The blocks all alloy and I understand alloy is worth much kerching in scrap at the mo. The engine weighs 1274Kg's so I should get a bit back for the block!!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d guess you`ll get possibly up to/just over a hundred quid per tonne for `clean` scrap. Engine components (as opposed to complete engines) should be classed as clean mate if you ask around local metal yards.
Real p*sser about the engine though, hope you can get something back out of it in parts if nothing else.
The rain has dampened my enthusiasm too: struggled to put the Mickey Mouse spare on the Calibra and couldn`t even be arsed to clean it myself which is most unusual, so it was off to the nearest petrol station and £2.50 of my hard earned in the car wash. I did manage to clean the interior up though, good old black boot polish on the seats and my little one earning her keep with some Mr Sheen.
I need to put a crap battery on it now though, I`m not running the risk of it being written off with sixty quid`s worth of battery on it!
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thing is Bxs are still a throw-away car, if they break unless its a 16v possibly they will get weighted in and replaced with another, which is fine as people need to get around, but im fortunate enough to have a garage and not need to use it as a daily runner, Im using for summer use only. My cars nearly 17 years old and has done 140000 miles so its about time she got pampered! :D

Wont be long before there so rare people will stop and look at them at the NEC classic motor show!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thing is Bxs are still a throw-away car
It's too true. My 16v is (as far as the missus is concerned) a temporary lodger...I had to do some serious sweet talking to buy it. Now I've driven it, I'm not sure I can let it go...ever. The only car in the fleet to go will be the Xantia which we'll replace with a boring estate (prob new look C5...wince :oops: ) but I need to buy a herd of cows and do some serious buttering up. I have a garage but use it partly as storage for all manner of cr@p but also to 'do stuff' so I can't put a car in it. Having said that it's all down to cash flow (the T2000 is in a caravan storage park costing nealry £200 a year) and all SWMBO sees is me disappearing under a bonnet for ever...which if I wasn't with the missus/had kids would be no bad thing :lol: Ah well, time will tell
1990 BX TGD White
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Understand your predicament Bandit, I have noone else to worry about but me hence I can do what I do without being moaned at!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Now I know I've mentioned this before but.....

No.4 coal shovels and the mendips ring any bells??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Chris G

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

No.4 coal shovels and the mendips ring any bells???

Ahhh the answer to all my no money and no time problems :-)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"