16V or 8VGTI

Anything about BXs
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

imo the 16v is the bets of the bunch! it isnt unreliable as people make out! and as alan said its normally due to corner cutting that issue's start!
its supremely comfy! i have never suffered back ache, or any part of body ache! even driving for 3 hours with a wallet in my back pocket!
its fine at 80 on the motorway! sits at 4k, which is okay! doesn mean if youy need to you have the power on tap to get out of any situations etc! and economy wise, 374 miles on £30 on my last run, worked out at 35mpg which was spent at 80 for 4 of the 5 hours of driving! knock it down to 70 and you would get a chunk more mpg too! oh that was me, the wife, thew baby and a boot full of gear! so not unladen either!
i have owned an 8v in the 309 gti and this 16v, both for about the same time (pug 4 years, bx 5years) and can conclude that the 16 is without doubt the better! and i loved that pug!
the 16v's are not sily money! no way near! for what you get for you r money they are without doubt a bargain! basre in mind pug voltures will spend 550 ish for one purely for the engine! I paid £800 for mine in 2001 with 82k miles fsh blah blah blah! its currently worth about the same i bought it for with 111k miles on the clock, fsh blah blah blah! its cost me a few quid here and there but so did my 8v and my insurance is £245 F/C parked on the main road 10k miles with protected and legal and a whole host of others! pretty bloody good if you ask me!
If your not sure about which to go for, you need to atleast get a passenger ride in a 16v driven in anger before you make your decision!
if you were down here i would let you take mine for a blast! but its a bit of a treck!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Thank you gents, after due consideration I will be looking for a suitable 16V in the Spring of next year 8)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Good idea Mr B, not easy to source though.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

HHmm, Kitch has a rather tasty black P2 that will be for sale.....

Much nicer than mine.

The 8v is a cracking motor, I've had 3, but the valver is altogether a better beast. Mine's been more reliable than the TD, although my maintenance regime on it is well OTT.

Absolutley no other BX puts the same grin on your face as a valver being driven with gusto, that said they are easy to drive slowley and the exhaust note is unbeatable. A wise decision Mr. B!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I'd love to try out either the 8v or the 16v!! I have to say though I was very surprised to find myself grinning nicely when I put my foot down in the lowly BX14 St Tropez (before its bloody clutch gave up). That eager-revving TU engine makes a nice sporty growl and it felt really quick - although my 1.6 was having autochoke probs at the time that made it really asthmatic. But even so, in comparison the 1.6 petrol has to be the most un-sporting sounding BX!

Mark.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

The TU BX is quite a nippy machine, and the 16 aint bad but is my least favourite of all the XU lumps. A good 8v can still get you in lots of trouble with the law but the 16 valve really is something else altogether. I think you need to do a few miles in one to get used to how to drive it as it wants and I've never driven two the same but for a 5 seat family car it's unbeatable to this day IMHO. "Supercar" it aint but compare like with like, I cant think of another family car of that era that comes anywhere near close to the "fun" factor.

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron1472 wrote:The TU BX is quite a nippy machine, and the 16 aint bad but is my least favourite of all the XU lumps. A good 8v can still get you in lots of trouble with the law but the 16 valve really is something else altogether. I think you need to do a few miles in one to get used to how to drive it as it wants and I've never driven two the same but for a 5 seat family car it's unbeatable to this day IMHO. "Supercar" it aint but compare like with like, I cant think of another family car of that era that comes anywhere near close to the "fun" factor.

Cheers
Chris G
8)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

As i said, there is no wrong decision on this. However, once you give up trying to find a 16v which fits your bill, u will probably settle for an 8v anyway.... but time will tell.... keep us updated.....
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Buy Kitches, it's a lovely looking car, if I didn't have one already I'd have bought it and not bothered with mine........ :roll:

Cheers
Chris G

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron1472 wrote:Buy Kitches, it's a lovely looking car, if I didn't have one already I'd have bought it and not bothered with mine........ :roll:

Cheers
Chris G
Probably cos its virtually identical, bar the interior :lol:

I went round Carl's on the weekend to see it. Starts up really happily and runs well. We need to crack on and get it done, cos the fresh MOT is slowly wittering away :shock:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Na mate, yours is bodily much better than mine....

Cheers
Chris G

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sorry, can't be bothered to read everything here but I'll just say that the 16v is the one that really puts a smile on your face as you pass 4000rpm. It is super-loopy bags of fun and very addictive! Downside is that it becomes addictive and this sort of lark will reduce mpg by some degree.

My old red'un had covered about 170,000 miles and despite burning a bit of oil, gave me no hassle in 4000 miles of motoring - in 8 weeks! Well, if you ignore the rather baggy and sychro-less gearchange.

Ian