1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Went up to see Ken this Sat (i was feeling absolute crap, i've got a cold), so didnt end up actually doing that much. I did take a wheel off again thought like last time, except it was a bit more difficult to put back on.

Thanks to Ken again, my car's list of faults has reduced drastically.

So the jobs done this time are:

Replacement pump fitted (thanks to Sleepy for supplying), Ken kindly fitted this bad boy & quickly mentioned that the TD is much more difficult to fit these than the n/a (sorry about that). I think under Ken's guidance i would have been able to take it out, but not too sure of fitting one though, it was quite ackward as there's v-little room with all the extra pipework on the TD compared to n/a. After an hour of gritted teeth & grunting (that was just me, not sure about Ken), i think he had bit of a dab on even though it was chilly outside. No leaks so far so its looking good. New belt was fitted as well, old one i will de-grease & keep as spare.

Was going to change alternator belt, but turns out it was the wrong one, blinkin motor factors, will have to take that back.

Gearbox oil changed, old stuff was brownish with plenty of metal in it, so deffo needed changing, & on the journey back i had a lovely smooth gearbox, a big improvement.... Ken recycled most of it in his famous cooking pot, i wonder how many BX's will get coated in the famous brew up in Wakefield??

Changed the speedo, so glad Ken did this for me as again what should be simple is quite a tricky operation, seems that there was plenty of damage to the instrument binnacle, it was ripped out by someone(s), but luckily seemed to fit back ok. I even managed to do the following, i swapped the mileometer cylinders over so that the new head had the correct mileage reading. Now initially i couldnt get the pig to line up (Ken said that he had never had much luck with this). Brainwaive, i borrowed some masking tape & taped up the cylinder & hey presto when i fitted it, it was spot on. So i now know how to clock cars......hehe, Ken did the difficult job though of taking everything apart & putting the binnacle back in, nice one.

When we changed the pump, once fired up Ken spotted loads of fluid having peed out, damn LHM we thought, but after the taste test (i dont think with my cold i could have tasted anything) Ken did the deed & it was water. Oh bugger were the thoughts, one of the pipes down the back of the engine was leaking. Eagle eye Ken found the leak, it was caused by a Jubilee clip on another pipe rubbing this other pipe, just a pin prick hole, but enough to possibly cause the car red warning of death to light up at some point.

What to do, access is totally crap, could the pipe even be replaced? Ken decided that we could seal it with another piece of pipe over this pipe & then clamp it with a jubilee clip. So a trip down to Ken's secrect car parts stash we sourced some bits. After much fiddling (me having my fingers crossed that this was going to work) Ken managed to stop the leak with said strategy. I will have to keep a close eye on the coolent levels to make sure it isnt leaking, but so far so good. Another save by Ken.

We were going to do an LHM change, but after inspecting the filters, decided not to bother as they were pretty clean.

So mission succesful, all jobs done & one major problem spotted (perhaps it was divine intervention that one Ken?).

So here's hoping that i dont have to visit Ken in the near future (in a nice way of course) & that motor is reliable & problem free. Ken if you need any help on anything else in the future, i owe you 2 Saturday's, so feel free to call them in anytime. Many thanks....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Just to add on to this,

the pipe that leaked was the metal water pipe that runs round and behind the engine, someone had fitted a new braided flexi hose with a jubilee clip, but the tail of the clip had wedged itself against the metal water pipe thus rubbed through.

Has anyone changed this pipe? I'm not saying it can't be done, but at 4pm on a cold saturday afternoon I can think of better things to do, even if I had one.
They think it's all over, it is now!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Lovely job I expect - if it can be removed and you have the kit you could run ome brass over the hole or braze a steel patch over it. I doubt its accessible for the job to be done on the car.

Otherwise sliding a larger rubber pipe over the whole and clamping ideally on each side will probably last for years.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Forgot to mention that Ken changed the front psgr side strut return pipes as the old one had been temporarily fixed (it had come apart again). Again what should be nice & simple took poor Ken ages to get the wretched metal clip to clip back together properly. Eventually it took both of us, Ken having to position a couple of screwdrivers & me having to use a hammer (that doesnt sound good does it???), but it worked. Finally, with me coughing & spluttering & ken caked in all sorts of muck it was sorted. Another job well done, & hopefully not needing to be done in the near future.

The heater is now fixed, hurrah, it was a loose/weak connection, so Ken had a spare that he kindly donated to me. So hopefully thats the end of sitting in cold car with no heater & all the windows steaming up so that i cant see where i'm going.

So whats left to do?

Still a diesel smell in the car.
Exhaust rattles sometimes against the towbar.
FPSGR window doesnt work, think its a regulator, replacement on its way?
Radiator cowling thingy where the bonnet hood hook clips in is bust, a replacement is on its way?
Cigarette lighter is dead as a dodo, i dont smoke, but cant plug in my satnav or speed camera detector until its sorted.
Need to put in stereo from Gti, & take out the door speakers to put into Tzd, will swap parcel shelf as the Gti has some rather lush 6x9 bad boy's in it.
Need to fit the Temp & boost guages.
Couple of bulbs dont work in the dashboard side buttons, any ideas of how u change bulbs in those? The whole switch unit came out, but couldnt see how u can change the bulbs?
Keep an eye on the previously mentioned glow plug light not coming on, so far its only happened the once.
And a few external cosmetic things to sort, nothing major.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

FPSGR window doesnt work, think its a regulator, replacement on its way?
I haven't forgotten Mulley me mucker - I'm just sh1te. I still have the regulator, it is still to be tested and confirmed as correct side and if all is ok its yours me old fruit cake!!!!
Exhaust rattles sometimes against the towbar.
My exhaust (mid box) rattles on the spare wheel carrier and just needs a juggle to keep it off....
Keep an eye on the previously mentioned glow plug light not coming on, so far its only happened the once.
Another thought on this - it could also of been a dodgy contact with the bulb holder within the i/p pinnacle - I have had several where I thought the bulb had blown but a quick clean up and it was ok.

Good luck with the soldiering on Mulley...it seems that no sooner have I got mine sorted out than something else rears its ugly head - getting a bit frustrating with mine from time to time.

If I can get the 16v up and running for the summer months, I shall fettle the TD and sort out the its and bits....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

No worries Bandit, i appreciate that anything that i am getting either gratis or elchepo i have to expect delay's etc....

Its not the actual glowplug light thats at fault as when i tried starting the car it did turn over but didnt fire up, so its something else.

I suspect with these cars that there is always something that crops up, as long as it doesnt affect driveability & reliability, then i can put up with it, but i do like to have everything working spot on. I guess thats why bods just get fed up with these motors & decide to offload them. Also probably why when us poor sods have a look to buy, all these niggly faults have just been left over the years, so there might be 20+ things that need sorting which can kinda put you off buying them, its not necessarily the expense, its just the time & fiddlyness of the jobs, hence why they get left in the 1st place.

Both my cars have been reliable, never broken down, knackered batteries have caused them not to start up & thats it, but a nice long list of faults that have required attention & then annoying things that u cant put up with anymore. Other than that, they have character & are fun to drive. So depression hasnt set in yet....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Just realised I have a few spare motors knocking around so would be cheaper on postage etc. Or, are you anywhere near Lincoln? I'll be popping up sometime in Mid Feb to pick up some bits from Sleepy...
1990 BX TGD White
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I can assure you that there is no reason why BX electrics cannot function properly all the time - there is a reason for every malfunction which must be found if the car is to be reliable.

They are not haunted, worked by magic - or need wizards to mend them - just a little patience, a few simple tools and a bit of care will have the thing working perfectly.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I can assure you that there is no reason why BX electrics cannot function properly all the time - there is a reason for every malfunction which must be found if the car is to be reliable.

They are not haunted, worked by magic - or need wizards to mend them - just a little patience, a few simple tools and a bit of care will have the thing working perfectly.
I don't believe in ghosts, I know things don't work by magic and most wizards are wank£rs anyway. I admit my patience is running thin...... most of my tools must be simple because I am quite stupid and wouldn't know how to use them. I always exercise extreme care when working on a car. Thank you for your assurance...just what I was after
1990 BX TGD White
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Bandit i am near Chesterfield, some way from Lincoln.

Had a woeful day yesterday, late for work with the wife moaning, noticed that the heater didnt seem very warm even after a few miles & then the STOP light along with RED LAMP OF DEATH was on. Oooh shit.....

Luckily i glided into Tesco's carpark & turned engine off straightaway, must have only done a few hundred meters with the warning lights on.

Checked the engine, couldnt see anything obvious, looked underneath the car, nothing happening there either, so hoped it might have been a fault with a sensor.

Anyway, AA man came out, checked the antifreeze in the radiator & then advised there was sod all of it in there...... So the water in some of the pipes must have frozen & hence not been circulating any water. That explains why the heater didnt blow any hot air, that must have been frozen.

The car seemed ok as the AA chap got the car back upto temperature, it must have de-frosted itself while waiting for him to turn up, drove the car home with no sign of any troubles, got in other car, had to drop wife off at local train station as she was going to York & wouldnt have made it if we had gone straight to work, so eventually got to work over 2hrs late.

Managed to get car booked into local garage for today & they flushed the radiator, filled it up with anti-freeze & i got them to check the engine & associated pipework for any probs. Luckily no issues with the engines or pipework, thats a bit of a save me thinks.....

I need your thoughts on the next thing though.

When the garage fitted the cambelt, they noticed there were no cambelt covers on the car, however i cant remember them having told me & in anycase they didnt get any & fit them, so they did the cambelt only.

So i asked them about getting some & fitting them & they want £55 plus vat, i think this is wrong as they could have fitted them when they did the cambelt & it would only have cost me the parts.... What should i do other than use another garage from now on???
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

No cambelt covers :shock: Were they missing from the start or did the garage...err..lose them?? You do need to have them fitted....you need to protect the belt itself but there are also some pipes running close by which could chaff..... if I had some you could have them mate but I'm fresh out! See what comes up sale&wanted section....

It takes about 15 minutes to fit the whole lot. If the garage didn't have to take them off or refit them then your labourt charge should be less (in theory...) Maybe worth enquiring about what exactly they've charged you for..if it wasn't discounted already then if you provide the covers they should fit for free....
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

BTW, if your coolant water did freeze then there wasn't sufficient/any anti-freeze in it. Make sure the garage has topped it up with a good mix..
1990 BX TGD White
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'll remind my mate to pick some of the covers up, sorry we didn't have them last time. :oops:

But like you say, find another garage. £55 for this is a bit extreme especially as they'd probably use s/h ones.
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I feel quite annoyed with them, so probably wont use them again unless in an emergency.

They reckoned that the covers cost £30??? that seems a bit expensive for what are just bits of plastic?

Unfortunately this rules out me using the car over the xmas period until i get some & then get them fitted, dont want to run the risk.

If u could source some for me that would be great Ken, i've had a look online without success. Are the diesel on's the same as the petrol models? If they are i could take the ones off the Gti & fit them to the tzd, or at least try fitting them/taking them off!!

Bandit, the garage said they were missing when they got the car, still doesnt excuse them for what they did & then to charge me labour again seems very poor to me.....
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Mulley, you need the older type plastic covers, they can come from any peugeot diesel, 1.7/1.9 turbo or non turbo, thats a very common part.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft