144, 000 mile service coming up.

BX Tech talk
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

144, 000 mile service coming up.

Post by tom »

Time to get my hands dirty. I need a cam belt but not yet the tensioners and water pump. The spare rack in the shed has been stripped and cleaned. The gearchange bellcrank needs a felt washer to quieten it and the rack, an axial joint and boot kit. The rest of the suspension, new struts and spheres notwithstanding is awful, clonking and rattling. That means droplinks, bushes and balljoints so expect bad language :)
Once I have done the front end, I'll need to fit a clutch in the spring and when that happens, I'll change the engine mountings to get back as much smoothness as possible.
Plan A was to spend about £600 and pull out the engine to replace the Octopus but the car will be much improved if I spend less than half of that, without compromising reliability, so common sense has at last prevailed.
It ain't broke, see?
Now if I could just stop looking at 2.5 turbo2s on Ebay... :oops:
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Tom

I've fallen for a 2.0 manual turbo XM around the corner. SWMBO likes it too (it matches her favourite top!)

So I know how you feel....

O
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: 144, 000 mile service coming up.

Post by Way2go »

tom wrote: Plan A was to spend about £600 and pull out the engine to replace the Octopus
:? My Indy Cit Garage only charged me £150 to replace the Octopus & he did it with the engine and drive shafts in place. 8) At that price it wasn't worth getting dirty for! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I don't mind getting dirty for £150 :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ken - Don't suppose you want to work your magic on my GTi Auto next year (if I decide to keep it). That'll hopefully not be too dirty - but you never know :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have citroens that need work too ken lol
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Hey u lot, leave my mate Ken alone, everyone should know that i have 1st dibs on Ken's expertise. Only Joking by the way......

Sob sob, no one ever wants to ask me for help...... i can do all sorts these days, well at least 3 things:

1) Take alloy wheels off & put back on.
2) Service rear number plate lights
3) Clock speedo's

I think that's it so far, thats 3 more things than at the beginning of the year. So should only take 53 years at current rate to get upto Ken's level.... lol
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I don't mind getting dirty for £150
Said Ken - and I agree. Lifting the engine in the approved fashion makes a considerable difference to access - as does driveshaft removal. I did 2 octopi in a row for a friend as a "learning exercise" and didn't manage to turn the air very blue in the process.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Once again Way2go, you didn't read it all before having a go at me.
Plan A was to spend about £600 and pull out the engine, a job that I'm quite capable of doing myself.
Plan B is to spend about £2000 and do everything that will need doing to make the car as new because now I do need tensioners and a water pump with 170,000 coming up.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Spend 2 grand Tom, it'll still be the cheapest motoring you'll ever have!
Over and out from me
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Can't really give an opinion as theres no mention of what the £2k would be used on. In fact I can't think of a way of spending that on a BX, other than a respray :lol:

If you wanna do a full on overhaul then engine out....every time. Its not all that bad to pull out and so so so much easier to work on when it is. Do the lot, HG, stem seals, rings, octopus, clutch, gearbox recon?

I dunno, I'm just winging it...I'm only young :!:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I'm curious - what is the 'approved' way to lift the engine to change the octopus? I figure mine has about reached the end of it's 'patchability' and will need to be replaced in the not to distant future - and I don't fancy pulling the engine to do it. Removing the driveshaft on drivers side is no problem - figured that one had to come out anyway - but how much can you lift the engine to get clearance to the top of the subframe to get at the octopus? Does that also give you clearance to the doseur valve returns, steering rack returns, etc. which seem pretty well hidden?
Have currently managed to stop all leaks again due to the alternator belt breaking and cracking a couple of the return lines, but expect this to be a temporary situation :?
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Depends how brave you are mate! I've always managed well with just removing the O/S driveshaft, but if you unbolt the lower and upper engine mount you can get a fair amount of lift on the engine before things get stressed. The exhaust will have to be disconnected at the manifold if you wana go really high! The octopus is easy enough to change without lifting the block at all though, the fiddliest bit is attaching the two front to back plastic return pipes over the subframe, unless you've got nimble fingers or decent long nose pliers, I'm not nimble so use pliers! :lol:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Thanks Chris
I'll have to do some serious de-greasing under there first and find all the ends of the octopus before I start pulling things apart. Also have to make sure I can get one here from a Citroen stealer - haven't got a lot of faith that they'll have one in stock in the country or want to order one in (at a reasonable cost)!

BTW, have you managed to pop the oil temp sensor in the post (the used one)?

cheers, Brian
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Actually, it is easy to spend a couple of thousand on a BX;
Four struts, Four wheel bearings, rear arm bearings, two balljoints, Wishbones, spheres, track rod ends, axials, hardydisk and gaiters. Discs, pads and calipers. Doseur valve, Driveshaft seals and driveshafts. Engine mountings, Tensioner kit and water pump, Hydrorincage, octopi, sundry pipes, Flexibles, Handbrake cables. That is the running gear. Brakes driveline and suspension.
Then there will be the radiator and its plumbing and finally a new windscreen. Although it might be possible to phase the job over a longish period of time, to get the car to drive like a new one, all these bits need to be done at the same time and careful tallying will show that I'm already a long way over that budget.