BX Values

Anything about BXs
OwenS
BXpert

BX Values

Post by OwenS »

Im about to sell my BX as Im downsizing to smaller, more economical car (Punto, Saxo, Ka). I know my car is pretty worthless..I just wanted to see what you guys would think a fair price would be. Its in very good condition, 71,000 miles, complete service history, good hydraulics (new spheres and acc last year, hydraflushed, fresh LHM), recent full service, cambelt. Met triton green.
2007 Sportka
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

you cannot buy a Fiat they dont like water they rust to quick and crumble I cannot say to much about the saxo it a citroen and you cannot buy a Fraud KA its only use is as a banger they would be like a weeble :lol: :evil:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

pretty sure Puntos were galvanised...i haven't seen one with any rust yet.
2007 Sportka
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

No they don't seem to rust but take a walk round your local scrappies, hundreds of em, reason being not worth repairing.
If you fancy a more economical car and who could blame you, whats wrong with a diesel BX. There are still quite a lot of good ones around even of this forum. I dont think you can get anything much more economical.
Bernies TZD with A/C sounds good to me. Or buy a cheap non MOT one, strip it and rebuild replacing everything that usually wears including pipes.
End result a very economical and reliable motor with no complex electronics on board. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Also I forgot to mention something called "Pride of ownership" can't be much of that where Punto's are concerned. :evil:
They think it's all over, it is now!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Mine is a Diesel bx and I cannot fault its economy I can go from Lincoln to Cumbria (sedbergh) and back on £25 worth and that also includes all the running around once up there with all there hills, Normally I put £20 diesel in every 2 weeks It doesnt use that much at all. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

Its not that I have anything against the BX but I want a physically smaller car aswell as, parking where I now live can be awkward, especially with a larger car, which I can't really justify seeing as its just me, maybe one passenger and I don't seem to leave the 30mph confines of town anymore :( . Diesel prices seem to be rather high also and I would like 1.4 or smaller to get cheaper tax. You lot definatly wouldn't like my other choice.....Cinquecento Sporting in bright yellow :D
2007 Sportka
M

Post by M »

AX / 106 / Saxo 1.5 diesel - just comes in at the cheaper tax band.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Sleepy, you are wrong about the Ka. It is roomy, reliable and handles like an old Mini Cooper, especially on mountain roads. I had no problems in five years of ownership and it was well thrashed. I got good money when I sold it, as well and would not consider a Saxo to be in the same class. With new ones costing less than half of what the base Mini costs, they are a real bargain and I would happily buy another.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Have to disagree on the KA front. They grip well, but the handling isn't great. The gearshift is rubbery, the seats basic and uncomfortable and the engine came from the 60's.

A Saxo isn't as well built, nor as roomy. The seats are equally as bad but the Saxo is a fun drive with more character. The handling is fantastic although the rear end grip is very much "easy on the lift off"!!

Puntos are actually quite dull for an Italian car IMO. I've a friend who's had two, a 1.2 Sporting and a GT Turbo. The Turbo was rusting when it was sold, and had no end of problems. The Sporting was better, and performed extremely well for a 1200cc. Again seats are basic though and the drive is average.

AX's are fantastically good value and reliable and very frugal little cars. They are also very very flimsy and can become tiring to drive IMO. That said I took my GT to Lincoln and back a couple of months ago with no problems. Good economy too, especially considering it was sat at 115mph for about 10mins flat on the M1!

I'd actually consider a ZX N/A diesel. They are fairly small, very roomy and well equipped as long as you steer clear of the Relfex models. They are very cheap on fleabay now, use the same engine as the BX diesel yet are a more refined and better finished car. Feels alot more modern which is better for everyday use. The BX wins hands down on character and ride, and I'd prefer it anyday. But only to keep at home as a hobby, not a mode of transport.

Or a Seat Ibiza circa 1994ish. Parts can be a pain but get a good one and they look after you. Sometimes get the routine VAG problems....window mechs, Air Flow Meters, CV Joints etc. But generally good overall and not overpriced like its VW counterpart.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I'd endorse the remarks about the ZX. My last before the tizzydee was a ZX, and it was reliable, handled well, manouevrable, economical....I sometimes wonder why I got rid of it for a knackered old MOT write-off.

But then I see those dangling parcel-shelf cords go past my eyes and I remember that the thing was anonymous and dull, as well.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
M

Post by M »

Kitch wrote:AX's are fantastically good value and reliable and very frugal little cars.
:-s :lol:
ROFLMAO - sorry for the text speak but that is Sooooo funny.
AX & reliable - two words that should never share the same bed!

Get a ZX 1.9NA diesel - it will bore you silly - but rarely let you down. I cant remember the last time I filled mine up....
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

[quote="Kitch"]Have to disagree on the KA front. They grip well, but the handling isn't great. The gearshift is rubbery, the seats basic and uncomfortable and the engine came from the 60's.

Sorry Tom, I`m with Kitch on this one. Bl**dy awful cars, ugly, rattly, gutless and have less street cred than a BX.

I`d get a Fraud Fiesta if I was to get another small sub £500 car. O.K, it`s Ford but to be fair they are pretty reliable, economical and cheap to get parts for.
Over £600 it`d have to be a Corsa-brilliant little cars (best small car you can buy i.m.h.o) and hold their value extremely well.
I`d rather walk than have a Fiat or a Ka, and on the Fiat side of things I speak with bitter experience. Awful, REALLY awful in my experience of a 126 and two Pandas.
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Marty wrote:
Kitch wrote:AX's are fantastically good value and reliable and very frugal little cars.
:-s :lol:
ROFLMAO - sorry for the text speak but that is Sooooo funny.
AX & reliable - two words that should never share the same bed!

Get a ZX 1.9NA diesel - it will bore you silly - but rarely let you down. I cant remember the last time I filled mine up....
Having owned 3 of them and had numerous more in the family I stand by my statement.

They're very simple cars, easy to maintain. My aunt's 1.0 Dimension has needed a new backbox and a new rear window in the 5 years she's owned it. My 1989 GT was stood for 2 years with light accident damage. A new battery, some oil in the bores, cleaned the plugs and it fired up first time no word of a lie!

The only gremlins I would say are electrics, which are no worse than a BX or ZX (currently own both of those too), the electric window regualtors if fitted...very weak design as the mounts can snap off after time. And rust, usually in boot corners or behind the drivers headlight as water spills down there when people aren't careful when topping up the water bottle.

Brakes aren't good, gearbox is blatant MA fashion. CV joints don't last long as there is an enormous amount of travel in the front suspension for such a small car!

But overall a lot more reliable than many other cars we've owned.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I can recommend the ZX turbodiesel as a very easy car to live with, they are surprisingly durable too, our Volcane has over 160k on it and the interior is still good, the doors work properly and it drives very well indeed, a far better screwed together motor than the BX IMO, mind you I still prefer to drive the BX
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft