Charity fund raiser.

Anything about BXs
ken newbold
Over 2k

Charity fund raiser.

Post by ken newbold »

I've been thinking about this for some time but not managed to come up with the right idea, so looking for input.

In the past I've sent out several parts to members and rather than ask for what would be small amounts of money which wouldn't make me rich, I've asked the recipients to make a suitable donation to a charity of their choice.

I thought it would be nice if we could somehow keep a track on our fund raising activities over the course of a year to see how much we actually could raise.

The thing would have to be completely anonymous and voluntary, after all we cannot all afford to give stuff away.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Start a thread on here, no need to post up what was donated to who or anything, just if someone has recieved parts/services then they post up who they donated too and how much.

Self policing with this nice BX community i would think.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

use 'justgiving.com' peeps can make donations, can even make them anonymous and i think you can elect a number of charities to donate too. Its very well rated, and JustGiving do make a decent amount of money doing it, but the likes of Oxfam and Helped the Aged and number of other charities reckon it has in the last year dramatically increased charitable donations, which where on a steady decline!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ve done exactly the same Ken and left it up to the recipients of the parts to decide what charity to give to.
Children In Need, Cancer Research and a hedgehog charity have benefitted so far, no idea how much but every penny counts.
Any value in perhaps picking one charity between us (maybe suggest a few different ones and have a poll?) and seeing how much we could raise in one year?
Maybe that way we could also organise a charity day in 2007 where anyone available could meet up and raise some money, some type of fun day perhaps?
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

The club has in fact supported Charitable activities in the past, 2CV racing springs to mind and of course there is the goat that Oxfam have allocated somewhere where it is needed. I'm all in favour of charity fundraising through the club. How about a Sponsored Skills day when the cars and the Gurus all meet up and have a mendathon, sorting out members' car gremlins ?
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Can I be the first to volunteer my car to be fixed please
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Sounds like a cracking idea to me. Maybe the less techie ones amongst us could make a fair donation to have their cars sorted out and perhaps bring any spares along that might be needed?
I`m more than happy to bring all the spares I have and chip in to the fund if someone could sort any gremlins I may have.
That way if us less techie ones coughed up the `fixers` could donate their time and skills in return?
I`ll put my clean hands in my pockets if Jeremy and co put their dirty ones on my car!
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

tom wrote: How about a Sponsored Skills day when the cars and the Gurus all meet up and have a mendathon, sorting out members' car gremlins ?

thats possibly the most awesome idea i've ever heard of, we would just need to find a decent sized workshop/gargae/barn and i'd be well up for that! I find time and time again that theres huge gaps in my BX knowledge that others have and visa versa so even the non technical peeps will have something to offer (billy can take the unsavable cars to scrap, and i'll make the tea!)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hey cool, I`ll even donate the weigh in money!
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Sounds like a plan, Non techies to give the cars a wash and brush up perhaps? and some input from our tame valeters?. I'll give a day sorting electrical faults.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

SPANNERS AT THE READY :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Some cracking ideas on this, i quite like the idea of having a nominated charity & techies sorting out non-techies car problems.

That gives us clueless one's a chance to learn something & perhaps even do it for ourselves in future & a charity benefits as well. Drink & sustenance will be provided by the owner of the car being sorted as well to make it bearable for those helping out.

What would also be a great idea is if someone could list (sorry going slightly off topic) a set of tools that a BX owner should have in order of priority. Reason for suggesting this is that i own a couple of spanners & thats about it, all the tools i have are for my mountain bikes, so hardly fit for BX ownership, so i have decided that i need to buy some kit, but dont really know where to start. I will be buying some axle stands & trolly jack, but what else do i need, i have seen socket sets etc... but which one's are suitable (plenty on e-bay)???
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

MULLEY wrote:What would also be a great idea is if someone could list (sorry going slightly off topic) a set of tools that a BX owner should have in order of priority. Reason for suggesting this is that i own a couple of spanners & thats about it
Thats easy.
1: Cavmads hammer
2: my coal shovel! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I donate a large amount to the PDSA every year anyway, as I love animals and hate people.

Well up for a tech weekend though, the CCC do the same sorta thing and it's very popular.

Both my cars need washing / polishing / valeting and I'm crap at it which is why I dont usually bother, but I'm quite handy with spanners / hammers / shovels!

Bring it on!

Just a thought, this camping weekend that Bandits organising..... perhaps we could arrange something to tie in with that???

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I am likeley to be too pi$$ed at that one to be working on cars :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If it`s a skills list you`re after I am well versed in the following: cleaning, hoovering, polishing, hitting things with hammers, swearing and thrashing the arse off all manner of vehicles. I can also make a mean cuppa, pass tools and buy sandwiches.
Any nominations for a charity? I`d humbly suggest (and in no particular order): guide dogs for the blind, any cancer or children`s charity or an animal welfare one. As Doc rightly pints out the PDSA is a good place to start.
Vauxhall apologist.