Manual to auto

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Manual to auto

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Following the acquisition of the TXD estate, my wife and I have been contemplating selling my GTi auto, but we like to auto box so much that it has prompted me to think about what Tom (I think) mentioned earlier on another thread... Is it practical to consider fitting an automatic gearbox to a manual 1.9 n/a diesel engine? I can see how the replacement of the console might be straight-forward enough, but being a mechanical numpty, can't start to see if it is worth even considering.

First, we'd have to find an very good auto box, I guess. Then I'd need to find someone I could pay to do the conversion for us. We would keep the GTi until the work was successfully completed and sell it on afterwards to help offset the cost...

OR should I wait until a decent diesel auto comes along (and donate it to the wife) or a good diesel auto engine/gearbox combination could be got from a donor car...

I like the manual TXD estate but I like auto too!

If it isn't practical I'll still keep the Estate as is... but I'd like to know if conversion is a serious possibility.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Everythings do able Phil, you just have to find a car to transplant everything from, I donte remember them making a 1.9D estate car with a auto box so it would be a bit different.

Just finding 1.9D auto to swop the bits from will be hard.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I would have thought donor boxes could come from the usual Citroen/Peugeot donors, ZX autos are not too rare, 405s, 309s etc etc sounds totally feasible.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I would have thought that a suitable set of parts could be found from a ZX or even a Xantia - although most of the autos will be TD's. So far as I know none of the ZX had the Epic semi-electronic pump. Sometime after 94 the ZX acquired the tamper-proof pump - but this can be sorted quickly with the engine out and an angle grinder to remove the protection plate.

If the ZX engine fits - then I suppose 306 and 504 will be available as well.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

The only likeley issue there as far as fitting an engine as well from a non oleo car is driving the HP pump, using the relevant BX camshaft would sort that, go for it :) I will keep my eyes open for a donor.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So is a straight engine and 'box swap a better bet than trying to marry the existing engine to an auto box? I think the engine's really sweet in this car, so it'd have to be a good replacement... If I was going to go with the former would a complete 1.9 TD engine/auto box unit make more sense? :?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

You cant get 1.9TD autos unles you make them up yourself
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

oh yes :roll: :oops:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Easiest to mate your existing motor to an auto I would have thought, not a lot more work than fitting a clutch really, unless you got hold of a 1.9td from a Xantia (were they made?) and rig your hydraulicslike Vanny did.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ebay has a bx diesel engine and autobox, i was searching for gearbox, narrowed down to citr**n and it turned up with days to go (was yesterday or the day before i guess). As i understand it the engines are same, and the drivehshafts are the same so i guess swapping the box isnt that much of a pandemic?

are they cable driven or electronically driven? Dont know much about them other than there fun to drive (i have no problem left foot braking :D)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It's something I've been contemplating for a while.

My mate has a BX diesel auto but the HG has failed, so he's looking for an engine. But the box could be made available if needed.

It would be easiest to swap a BX diesel auto rather than trying to match up from other models. The problem areas are the fuel pump which has to have the kickdown relay wheel, they are different from other n/a diesel pumps and if you're trying to fit a box from say a ZX you might find the kickdown cable itself too short :?

Also if you were to come by a donor vehicle you'd also have the gearshift cable and fittings. These cables are very hard to find and retail at well over £100. There would also be slight alteration needed to the wiring.

It'd be a good project but personally I'd leave it untill maybe the clutch needed changing or the gearbox failed. In the meantime have a word with your insurer, just out of curiosity. :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

The electronic and mechanical speedo drives are directly swappable, I quite like driving slushboxes myself though my left foot sometimes does a rhumba looking for the clutch pedal :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

two litre XM has a magical gearbox drive unit which provides both a mechanical and electrical output in the one unit, sweet!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's an interesting topic, but all things considered (and having just come back from a brief drive in the manual diesel estate) I think it's a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. It drives well and in its current form its a credit to Ken... I think the clutch maybe a lttle heavy (and the box is a little 'hard' first thing, but when warmed up is fine) and the gas pedal's a little stiff for my good wife, but minor lubrication and adjustment will be done on Friday and we'll see how she is... (the car that is :oops: )
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

ken newbold wrote:It's something I've been contemplating for a while.

My mate has a BX diesel auto but the HG has failed, so he's looking for an engine. But the box could be made available if needed.

It would be easiest to swap a BX diesel auto rather than trying to match up from other models. The problem areas are the fuel pump which has to have the kickdown relay wheel, they are different from other n/a diesel pumps and if you're trying to fit a box from say a ZX you might find the kickdown cable itself too short :?

Also if you were to come by a donor vehicle you'd also have the gearshift cable and fittings. These cables are very hard to find and retail at well over £100. There would also be slight alteration needed to the wiring.

It'd be a good project but personally I'd leave it untill maybe the clutch needed changing or the gearbox failed. In the meantime have a word with your insurer, just out of curiosity. :?

Is that that tatty old white thing you bought off me for £20! lol