ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The self and same squire, except, I didn't buy it. :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Thanks for the info Ken, I have swapped autoboxes before but was ignorant of the fuel pump thing, never too old to learn something new.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Right then, a bit late since you've decided not to do it, but here is the definitive answer, I say definitive only because I've done it, and it works..

Fitting an autobox to a n/a diesel is easy! It would be best to find a BX autobox, the quadrants and kick down cables are different on Xanties / ZX's.
So long as your n/a engine has a bosch pump the kickdown wheel will bolt straight to it, the threads are already there.
The pump timing WILL HAVE to be retarded a touch to avoid damaging the box.

Changing the kickdown cable means stripping the valve chest out of the box, not fun but easy enough.

The speedo drive is only held in with a 10mm bolt so is very easu to change if necessary.

It is possible to make a autobox work with a TD, thats what we did with dads BX, and it's the best auto BX I've ever driven, and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased, it all works so well. Cit REALLY should have built these.

If your going TD route, use a xantia flexiplate. ZF built the box as a one off for us, and it cost ALOT of money (4 figures) and took 3 months to do, but it is awesome.
You'll also have to make a homemade top coolant hose, modify the kickdown wheel (or the turbo piping), and the coolant hoses that run between the engine oil cooler and the box oil cooler.

Fitting a TD lump to a n/a box is a bad idea, the epicyclic just cant cope, or at least not for long.

If at some point you change your mind and want it done mate, let me know and I'll gladly do it for you over a weekend.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My goodness! How to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons... So really, all I have to do (as I would want to keep the existing engine - which has a Bosch pump BTW) is find a good auto box off a BX somewhere.... (I've got one on my GTi - but wasn't planning on breaking that :lol: )... load up with some motivating and sustaining items such as a BBQ spread and some drinks and make the appointment with the Doc.... Sounds like it could be a plan. Let me sleep on it, so to speak...

A nice, sunny weekend in the Spring maybe... Mmmm. :roll:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Remember the gearing on the petrol ones may be different and you could end up with something that never gets out of 3rd or alternatively has a maximun speed of 85 MPH and drives you nuts.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Indeed, Jeremies on the money! Fiting a petrol box to a diesel would make it difficult to attain a top speed of 70! Assuming the engine would red line in top!

Any time if you do shange your mind mate, I'm usually available at a week or two's notice....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

No, I understand, I am only after an auto box from a BX diesel (a feeble attempt at a jokey quip re: the GTi - that's not for breaking. Full stop). So any out there? I know Ken offered to find out about a possiblility... I guess if I do decide it's viable I would be thinking in terms of April time...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Let me know if you want the box, I'm sure it could be arranged.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll have to have a serious think. Cheers Ken. The only thing is, I hope to get a 1.9 diesel automatic (hatchback) anyway, so it still seems it might be unecessary to mess about with what is a very straight car indeed.