Jumping Front End

BX Tech talk
M

Jumping Front End

Post by M »

Had a PM off Ian regarding his BX Hurricane and a violently jumping front end - I know my front bounces a bit when first started up after a few days in low - but lubing the struts seemed to sort it out - anyway Ian says the following - advice welcom (and I'm looking @ you Mr Post Whore Vanny!)

Have had problems with my front end jumping from low. Sometimes quite violently.

Have changed the struts, lubed them up and new spheres. Clean LHM too.

I'm moving on to the height corrector now. I've got another height corrector off another car that operated fine and have just had a quick look at changing it. Access seems to be the problem.

Any advice?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Access to the front ride height corrector can be improved by removing the long driveshaft and maybe the lower engine mount, for the deluxe access take the top mount off too and lift the engine as much as you can,I know theres a pivot point on the rear linkage that can sieze up and will benefit from a dab of grease but am unsure whether theres a counterpart at the front, most of them are lubricated at the front with engine oil.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

We had a problem with my sons TZi just after we got it. It felt like a trampoline; just high and jerky, it was very non Citroen.
I did a couple of things. I adjusted the rods that went front to back as they had been wrongly adjusted and with the car set up on a high set of ramps, I disconnected the height corrector. Worked it up ad down a couple of times and there was this great whoooosh and the car flew upwards like a rocket (visions of it flying off the end of the struts) :shock: and it sounded like a lavatory flushing.
When I reconnected it and refitted everything up, it was perfect and has been ever since.
I reckon it was crap in the innards of the h/c and moving worked it loose...with a rush.
Worth a look or a try I suppose.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'll vouch for the efficacy of a "hand job". On the lesser petrol BXs it's possible to reach down the back of the engine bay from above and manipulate the height control levers by hand. Did this repeatedly on a 16RS estate which didn't like raising at the front and it made a marvellous difference.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Think i'll have a look at removing the driveshaft and rear engine support and getting on with it from there!

Just to add to what i wrote to Marty, the car rides like a magic carpet. Exactly how a good BX should.

The only problem is only when the car is raising.
Over and out from me
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

How about running some Hydraflush through it? I done that with mine and it has improved the rise speed of the car (rises perfectly level too!) and has improved the ride quality no end! I'm not saying this is your problem, it probably isnt, but for £13 it's worth a shot. It will do more good in the long term anyway. I've just finished a full Hydraflush, LHM & full sphere change, oh boy! what a difference! makes my Xantia feel like a boneshaker! Just the leak from the octopus to sort now!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I got the impression with the one I did, that the actual shaft that the arm connects to was jamming/seizing inside the height corrector and by moving it by hand beyond the limits it normally worked to, tended to free it up just as a spot of rust will on a bolt that you can't screw a nut all the way on due to a spot of dirt or rust that suddenly frees up as soon as that point is passed just a couple of times.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

At some point i'll run a load of hydraflush through it. I just need it to last until the 2cv project is out of my hair and then i'll get cracking with the BX.

That reminds me, i'm in the market for a nice diesel BX if anybody hears anything.
Over and out from me