gas struts for BX estate

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
toddao
BXpat

gas struts for BX estate

Post by toddao »

Anyone got a pair of rear gas struts lying around for a BX estate ? Hard to find here in germany and expensive. Got a nice lump on my head from that plastic lump of a door
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

There's a pair in our local scrap yard :evil: if they've started breaking it yet. :cry:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for reply, where is the scrapyard that you mention? And how can I contact them? Though I live in Germany I am regularly in UK. As the weather is quite mild the struts are holding better , when it was minus the other week they had no guts whatsoever!
Todd

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes the struts are in the car, now in the yard. The yard is near Leeds in Yorkshire, I can get them for you if you like, I'll be going back this week. :cry:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ken, thanks very much for the offer - I would certainly appreciate that. If you can pick them up and advise cost also for postage within UK I can send you a cheque or perhaps if you have Paypal? Cheers!
Todd

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Oh boy, would you look at that. :o

Nice car.

It'll be a pleasure. Will the Mk2 ones be the same as Mk1. I know the Hatchback ones were different, but I did manage to get them to fit.

Mind you, the Estate is nearly all Mk1 at the rear anyway.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Glad you like the motor! Yes it's a Mk 1 with the old bathroom scales tachometer and related electrical problems which are now stable. I've measured the struts and they are 66cm extended. Are you running an estate as well? Cheers!
Todd

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Unfortunately no estate at the moment. The difference in the MK1 and Mk2 hatchback struts was something to do with the ends and how they clip on to the bodywork :?

Any chance of some pics of your pride and joy. :D

That should really sicken us all off over here. :lol:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Alright Ken!

just got a mail from a guy about some gas struts that he was selling amongst a job lot of BX hoses. That was two weeks ago and he's just come back with the measurements! They seem to be the same length as mine (67cm) and he's in the locale of where I'll be in Middex next week so I'm taking them off him for the starting price of 15p. At these 1950s prices I'm going for it. So I thankyou for your kind offer but hopefully these will do the job. I read your thoughts about the different types so if these are not suitable I will be in touch.

I actually took some more photos today but I'm not wise as how to upload them yet. Thought I would write a proper introduction as I'm a new member and very grateful to have found this club and forum.

I also posted a question in the technical area about diesel particle filters - this is a real tax issue here in Germany, so if you happen to know anything about these or where to find..? Cheers!!! :lol:
Todd