Greetings from South Germany

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Greetings from South Germany

Post by toddao »

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/3581 ... 4f69_b.jpg

Hello Everyone, as I’m a new member I thought I would introduce myself properly. I’ve already had some good exchanges on the forums and feel very welcome. Thankyou.

Though I live in S.Germany, I’m originally from S.London. Bit of a change of scene as you can see from the photos taken locally yesterday.

In our small town is a disused service station owned by a retired Citroen mechanic. He has about 15 2cvs ( called ‘Ente’ here = duck), couple of SMs, CXs all in various states. He can’t pass up any old French motor in fact so he’s got Renaults,Peugeots mostly from the 80s and MOT failures. Interest in these cars here is very low and he admits he’s got too many. Collects them like die-cast models!

In Uk I had various 2cvs so Citroen was in my blood, if not yet LHM! Made contact with this enthusiast on the basis of interest in one of his SMs. Quickly realised this was just a whim and not practical though he is a former SM racing driver/mechanic and his ‘office’ is full of related photos and memorabilia.

Last year the BX19RD came in and when I saw it sat there amongst ‘Les Wrecks’ I knew it was for me. It had previously belonged to a guy who owned a spray-shop and sprayed it up in this yellow to advertise his shop. Unfortunately it didn’t work and he went bankrupt and the car sat in his workshop for some time til rescued by the above .

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/3581 ... d0c9_b.jpg

Took two month to get everything ready for the TÜV ( German MOT which runs for two years) – mostly electrical problems for which these Mk.1s are notorious . A lot of cold nights outside the service station because there was his crippled XM in the workshop.

It’s got 203,000kms on it and all goes well now. Have to fit new accumulator sphere and temp gauge and searching for diesel particle filter to reduce the high tax bill that means you will never see another on German roads.

Saturday afternoons the freaks gather at the service station to tinker with their Citroens. In a land of B’mers, Mercs , VWs these cars are rare and the people who run them too! Saturday afternoons, despite my still limited Deutsch, is eccentric and amusing and definitely old school – not a diagnostic kit in sight. The philosophy is : keep them going using whatever pieces Les Wrecks can spare.

Will post some pictures of the service station if anyone is interested : the 2CV line-up, Les Wrecks plus a complete 1988 16v ( limited edition slight moss covering!) that is parked there and which ‘The Chief’ will only say has a ‘kaputt’ motor. I have expressed interest but I probably don’t know what I’m getting into! Never see 16vs here.

That’s it for now. Will keep you posted. Appreciate the club and forums. Unfortunately The Chief only speaks Deutsch – he couldn’t believe the interest in BXs in Uk – otherwise he would log on too!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/3581 ... 2da7_b.jpg

Hope you like the photos and the scenery down here

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/35819 ... 3e3c_b.jpg
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Nice story - and makes me want to see more, so any pics of the garage etc. always welcome... Nice pics of the Yello (geddit?) BX - will be a good candidate for next year's calendar I'd say!

Beautiful countryside. Whereabouts exactly?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Welcome to the club mate.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Fantastic looking BX! Could almost be a 'La Poste' car.

I'll know who to contact for VW camper bits then!!
Over and out from me
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

yeah, it does have a La Poste look. Maybe make some extra €€€ next xmas doin the mail? Need to get a colour match cos there's rear arch rust needs dealing with.

This area is called The Hegau. To the north is The Black Forest, to the south Bodensee ( Lake Constance) and to the West, Switzerland. It is the border area where many escaping POWs used to head for in WWII to get to the neutral Swiss! If I ever need to hop it quick..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Love it :D