Mi16V

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Well put Kitch! I look at 16valvers regularly and I'd quite like one in the stable but I would have to spend sensible money (£1500+) and buy one that hasn't been murdered by some dickhead and won't eat time and money because I recognise the bang/buck ratio and like BXs in most of their forms. I haven't found the right car yet but I probably will once the TZD (my everyday working car) is rebuilt. We should be tapping up the pugger's sites and forums and offering them the chance to offload their useful spares, which is what we'd be doing if we were smart, don't you think?
Incidentally this has been a most rational and enjoyable debate, despite the controversial topic. Thanks all.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Mike E (uk) wrote:But how many converted 205s are actually insured as such?
With the 1.6 badge, an 18 year old can 'insure' it for far less than a factory produced alternative.
I expect a 205 Mi16 would be almost uninsurable for anyone under 30, which is most of the likely owners.

I agree it is not practical to do anything about it, but it was the 'flagship' BX, so I think it rational that we dont like to see good examples being wasted.

Mike
Have to say though Mike, most insurance companies usually take the grouping from the donor vehicle of the engine.

When I was 18, I helped a mate fit a 2.0 16v lump into a Nova (you might laugh and yes it was shit, but it did haul ass!). IIRC they rated the car at group 15, the grouping of the Astra GTE 16v the engine came from.

In fact more recently, a chap took his AX GT 500, and fitted a Saxo VTR engine with mild tuning. Now tuning aside, a Saxo VTR is ins grp 7, whereas the AX GT is group 9. So he jumped from 85bhp to about 110 without an increase in premiums! Obviously they didn't give him any back :P

So with the BX 16v at grp 15 and the 405 Mi16 at grp 14 (I think) the jump in premiums for the conversion isn't high seeing as a 1.6GTi 205 is about group 12 I believe. If they convert a 1.9 8v to 16v its even less, seeing as the engines are both the same size too.
It really is a cheap conversion all round. I can see why they do it, although I'd still argue the BX is a better car and if you want a track car alone, put the engine in a 309 GTi or a ZX 16v....they both handle better.

Tom: I know what you mean. Trouble is, even if you sat there waiting with £1.5k in your hand ready for the right mint 70k mile 1988 19GTi 16v to come along...when it finally does, yours (and everyones elses) opinion of "mint" will vary considerably to that of the seller. In short, most 16v's that come up for big money and claim to be A1 are far from it. You might get the odd one....every few years.

The way to go with a valver is to find one with a good body and knackered engine. The engines easy to work on when its out and the car is worth £100 tops with a duff engine (the engine afterall being the common reason to buy the car!)
Theres no shortage of engine spares in the slightest either, so getting it running wouldn't be hard.

Only problem is its more hard work. With an A/C converted recently overhauled TZD estate, working on cars might be something you want to avoid for a while!

But for anyone reading, thats the way to do it. Find one with a rot free (or as close as you can find) body in a good colour that has suffered oil surge, find an engine for £500 max and switch the bits.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Kitch said:
"Only problem is its more hard work. With an A/C converted recently overhauled TZD estate, working on cars might be something you want to avoid for a while!"

Not me brother. Oh no, not me. WBM might have something to say though.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

SWMBO I know......but WBM?

tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Woman Belong Me.
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

In view of this topic, I have posted a sticky on Frenchcarforum asking anybody building a 205-16 to offer us their hulks.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Aslong as it doesnt give people Ideas it should be useful.
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

I'm all for ideas. Particularly the idea of getting our hands on their parts
(and you can read that any way you like!)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:shock: :D
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Anyway Leech, isn't it about time you got yours working?
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tom, you've inspired me to dedicate a song to my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFUArRRgp9Q

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

"most insurance companies usually take the grouping from the donor vehicle of the engine."

I find that very surprising. After all, a teenager who has put a non-standard more powerful engine in a smaller car is clearly not going to be carefully poodling around town.

My insurance company would not even quote me if I converted my 406 to LPG, as it would be non-standard.

Anyhow, a group 14 car driven by a Sub 20 year old will be expensive, and a group 12 less so. So the tempation will be to 'forget' to update the records, if they have insurance at all, that is.

Mike
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

tom wrote:Anyway Leech, isn't it about time you got yours working?
Sheppard it works, its taxed, moted and insured (sticks tongue out)

Just waiting for nicer weather!