P.R leak and bleeding procedure?

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

P.R leak and bleeding procedure?

Post by Kitch »

Got the 16v running now, its driven under its own power for the first time since April.

Couple of glitches....I have no power steering (still) and I have a leak!

With the steering, this was faulty when I blew the engine. Previous to this, the steering had worked well and only started to die if aggressive cornering and braking was taking place.
Shortly before I killed the crank, the PAS took a perminant vacation. When removing and refitting the engine, I changed the pump, accumlator, pressure regulator and FDV. The car now rises quickly and hardly ticks at all. But the Steering is still non exsistant. I've tried running the car on high, then undoing the PR bleed valve in the theory that the car will sink and push excess air out of the system, then rise again when I retighten the screw. But it doesnt sink even with the screw loosened. Does it need bleeding in a different way or have I missed something?

Second glitch. The PR I removed was sold as I had a cleaner one in my garage. This one now leaks (see pic for location)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/kitch/leak.jpg

Is this a throw away job or is there a seal or bolt under the rubbery thing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT - Image resised (orig link left) - Marty :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you look at the hydraulic circuit diagram you will see that the PAS circuit contains the pump, FDV, pinion valve and rack ram only and that the rest can be disregarded. The FDV allows a small bleed to the pinion valve which is open when the steering is relaxed (returns to reservoir). Apply pressure to the wheel, the pinion valve shuts one valve, abd the rise in pressure is communicated to the FDV which then restricts or cuts off the flow to the rest of the circuit and prioritises the steering.

The steering behaves like an ordinary system and is self bleeding - ie moving it from lock to lock will expel air from the ram and thats all you need to do.

The general experience is that when the FDV fails the steering works and the rest doesn't. Its right to say its not a well understood component, but its usual fault seems to be leaking (unless it is like mine was and is wrongly assembled!)

So you are left with 2 likely problems - the pump and the pinion valve. The pinion valve has 2 elements - one for each side and normally if its seals are failing the steering will go heavy on one side first as one seal fails before the other. The usual problem is the pump as the PAS requires a large amount of high prssure LHM and a failing pump may not be able to supply the volume despite raising the car normally.

Of course things like belt tightness can affect it.

I think you will find a couple of 'O' rings under the plastic cap on the regulator. It may be these have failed but I don't think they are a normal Citroen part as I undrstand the regulator is considered not serviceable by Citroen. I reduced a leak from here simply by tightening the 4 screws securing it! I have also had a leak from the regulator ares caused by a stressed pipe - simply straightening it so it went in straight and tightening it correctly cured it, Its possible the plastic cap has split.

Jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Kitch the seal you need for this cover is part number 96 157 730 cost of £5.36 from citroen`s Hope this helps Be careful when removing the plastic cover they break easy and there is a big spring under it just undo the 2 screws slowly and a bit at a time on each till they are out, the plastic cover is no longer available so dont break it, if you do you may find a replacement from a breakers or someone on this forum. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

No joy. Went to Citroen today to order said seal and they no longer do it. Although I might try another dealer as my local in southampton are a bunch of chimps.
I'm gonna give a different reg a go, probably tonight too, seeing as the weather is so lovely......not
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I will ring my dealers tomorrow for you as i rang about one of these not so long back if they have one do you want me to order it for you? :)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp