TZD restoration.

Anything about BXs
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I can see you all really want to know about this. Kits don't include shims.
The only guide to shimming I have seen outside of the official Citroen literature is from some fantasist who claims to mend helicopters who asserts that it is impossible. Perhaps that is why helicopters crash a lot.

Take yer old through bolt, wind the nut up tight on the arm once you have replaced all the bits and the complete arm with disc and caliper are one assembly. Support the bolt head end and clamp the nut end in a vice. If the shimming is right , it should just fall by its own weight. If it is stiff to move, too many shims. If it is slack, not enough. Buy brass shim stock and make your own shims up 'cos it is much cheaper. It cuts with a very sharp knife blade up to about 4 thou. 2 and 4 thou will make fine shims. Put the thinner ones nearest the bearing and the thicker ones outboard. Keep trying until it is right.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

or buy the tool from citroen that has a a big spring in it to get it just so (though it works just the same as tom has said, sut sets the pressure on the arm to a predifined amount!)
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Thanks for your explanation Tom. Does anybody know of a link for the "official Citroen literature" on shimming the bearings ? Presumably it refers to the special tool that you mention Vanny.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

yeah the instructions do use the spring thing, but the operation is much the same. I have a copy of the instructions at home (i'm no where near at the moment) will scan and post when i get back.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Thanks Vanny, much appreciated.
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Returning via the rear suspension to the matter in hand, Lunchtimes this week have been fun. Tuesday: OSF caliper fitted in 28 minutes.
Thursday: 32 minutes for rear discs and pads. The braking system job is now complete. One last bleed before France to be done as a precaution.
The inside of one rear disc showed that the caliper that was originally fitted had siezed so the braking should now be more even.
'Ang on! What about Wednesday? Ah, well. A colleague runs a Fulvia and it has MMGS* in its electrics. Lunchtime was spent finding out where the short was in the wiring and identifying the problems in the (I suspect burnt out) Headlamp relay (a dual coil affair of some complexity). Joy! Like Lancias, I do. Colleague wants me to fit modern relay setup and blade type fusebox. Safety and useability mean more than slavish originality to him. Oh and the first of the front struts turned up. That'll be lunchtime tomorrow dealt with then! This weekend, I have to find a new car for Annabel so Grolliffe will only be getting a wash (for the first time in four weeks!)

*MMGS: Multiple Migratory Gremlin Syndrome. Electrons move them from one place to another.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Are you still planning to overhaul the other strut by replacing the slide bearing etc. ?
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg