BXclub.Wakefield

Anything about BXs
ken newbold
Over 2k

BXclub.Wakefield

Post by ken newbold »

This week the tools have been out in anger after a long rest. The above TZD came in with a slipping clutch and also as the MOT is looming have a look round and give it a service!

So I,ve done the clutch, flushed out the rad, filled with new antifreeze, new drive shaft seals, had to fit a secondhand drive shaft as the intermediate bearing was US, changed oil & filters, new front brake pads, secondhand tailpipe, new bottm ball joints and found the steering coupling split. So quite a lot spent on this one.

The car looked immaculate from the top and apart from the clutch it drove and rode really well, but in reality have we spent more on this car than its worth?

In market terms, without a doubt, but in reality I don't think so. The car has run since it last MOT without a penny being spent and hopefully it should be good for some time to come.

The choice was to scrap it or try selling it on. Trouble is then you have to find something else. If you're into BX's they're all at least 12/13 years old and unless you're extremely lucky you're likely to end up with another one that needs as much if not more doing.
They think it's all over, it is now!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The car looked immaculate from the top and apart from the clutch it drove and rode really well, but in reality have we spent more on this car than its worth?
The yardstick is, what is it worth to you?

If you're looking at how much it's worth to someone else, then you've wasted your money, however if the car is going to be used by you as a daily driver, it's all paid for, goes well, is reliable and economical, then it's a bargain.
To me, what someone else will pay for a car never concerns me unless I have bought it with the intention of selling. The BX estate I bought is a typical example; I will have spent more on it than I paid for the car and hope to recoup that and then some or at least get the value of my labour back out of it because I'm selling it. If however I keep it (and I must admit I really am tempted, then it was an outright gift as it is one really solid vehicle that cost less than the deposit on a new car would, but who wants a new car and with one that good, who needs it either?

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Really we are all just a bunch of cheapskates avoiding depreciation :) or are we a bunch of blokes attracted to what was a rather nice if quirky french motor, I have not kept a particularly close check on my BX spend but its certainly less than my mate spends on a big service for his newish Audi, and what do we get? a comfortable, rather stylish, economical and rather rapid motor which appears to be getting more exclusive with every month that passes, and as Jon said one that makes you smile on most journeys, would we be happier driving new Chevrolet Matiz??? I think not.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Just a quick note to point out that the above car belongs to a friend of mine who purchased it from M&M in Holmfirth. It had been siiting outside their yard for over 6 months awaiting breaking. By the time he got it vandals had sprayed graphete (sure thats spelt wrong :oops: ) all over it. Nevertheless the car clean up really well and had been repiped in copper.
It needed a new water pump and tyres for MOT, last year.
Its present owner says he just loves the 60 to the gallon.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

This certainly applies to my MK1 BX, my insurers told me to take some photos of it so that if the worst did happen we would then have some evidence with which to proceed.
I know in total I've spent about 800 quid on it, including the initial purchase £80 :oops: but to them how much is a B reg BX worth.

Any steps at all would be steps in the right direction. :)
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Yes the real value is a worry, my insurers agree on a value of £1600 for mine but whether they would stick to that if it came to the crunch is another matter, one of my neighbours saw me working on the BX (again) and said "you ought to get a new car mate" to which my reply was "most of it is!" Perhaps this will become easier as the BX achieves classic status,
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Just a last photo call of the fleet before one of them disappears under wraps for the winter. :(

Also today, been to a local scrappies to get an LHM pump as a replacement for someone. £20 quid they charged me :evil: not bad when you think of the work they do, but rather annoying considering I gave them the car some time ago :twisted: Interestingly enough, although it's been there several months, nothing has been taken off it, till now.
It's a red TZD estate with ABS if anyones interested.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

A guy turns up knocking on the door late this afternoon with a red L Reg TXD estate car. Seems he's got electical problems, the rain is hammering down so I tell him to bring it under the car port so I can have a look. 15 minutes later he's off on his way home all smiles with a brand new second hand battery fitted.
Funny how I go months and not even see a BX, and this week they're knocking on the door.
Any more out there. :?:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Word gets around eh Ken, I used to get a lot of work on BXs these days its Xantias (when I get the time)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You made a rod for your own back there then :) as for Xantias I doubt there would ever be enough time, my brother in law's Xantia occasionally creeps up the drive, but all others are banned, I dont like them and they dont like me. :twisted:
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Know what you meen only driven a xantia once and all i can say is NEVER again what a bag of s***
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ken,

Did you buy your Mk 1 from ebay several months back? I seem to remember a very smart similar looking one on ebay and hoping that it was sold to an enthusiast rather than someone who would run it into the ground.
I can echo the thoughts on this thread - to me my BX is everything I want from a car (well almost until I fit the air con!), and I can't think of a car I would rather have as an everyday driver. This is purely looking at its blend of attributes and how they meet my requirements - the fact that it cost next to nothing (compared with the cost and depreciation of a new car) is just the icing on the cake.
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Mat, No I listed the car on ebay hoping someone like myself might come along and give the car a good home. My first BX was a 19rd Mk1 but without power steering. So I'll always have a soft spot for the MK1s.
I did a bit of a history about the car on this forum a short timeback.
I agree with what you say about depreciation, a friend of mine scraped his BX est a couple of months ago (like you do if you dont look after them)
he rang me today and I asked how his new peugot is going? oh fine he says, it's just the £250 a month thats not too good.

£250 A MONTH :o thats a lot of good BXs in a year I thought, :lol: