WANTED: Mk1 rear bumper

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

WANTED: Mk1 rear bumper

Post by dumbtime »

I'm looking for a Mk1 rear bumper for my 19RD, part of it is stuck together with gaffer tape which isn't very attractive.

As I'm new here, I'll tell you a bit about my car.

It was bought from new by my grandfather in 1984 and took very good care of it. When he passed away my older brother took it on for nearly 2 yrs and now I have it. As I’m student it's slowly deteriorating with not enough care, though I do try. I get it serviced regularly and it's passed its last 2 MOT's with nothing needed, though I think the clutch may need replacing. I live in Bristol when I'm not at Uni in Southampton. Any Bumpers near these areas would be great and I might be tempted to travel further.
Was the owner of a BX 19RD 1984
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Welcome to the club! Being a Mk 1 owner marks you for special attention :lol:

Try to get you BX sorted for the Citroen Car Club National rally in July, if you can. We are hoping to put 25 Mk 1s together, celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the BX's launch.

:D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I can do a red (well, somewhat faded red anyway) one.

Free if you want it. 35 miles south of Bristol (and could easily be on the way between Soton and Bristol. You'll need to get it off the car though. (as I can't remember how a BX rear bumper comes off at the moment!)

Any good?
this might be a signature
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

I can get hold of a brand new item if you want to go down that route..
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
tim leech

Re: WANTED: Mk1 rear bumper

Post by tim leech »

dumbtime wrote:I'm looking for a Mk1 rear bumper for my 19RD, part of it is stuck together with gaffer tape which isn't very attractive.

As I'm new here, I'll tell you a bit about my car.

It was bought from new by my grandfather in 1984 and took very good care of it. When he passed away my older brother took it on for nearly 2 yrs and now I have it. As I’m student it's slowly deteriorating with not enough care, though I do try. I get it serviced regularly and it's passed its last 2 MOT's with nothing needed, though I think the clutch may need replacing. I live in Bristol when I'm not at Uni in Southampton. Any Bumpers near these areas would be great and I might be tempted to travel further.

Welcome aboard mate, the MK1s are very special and very very rare so make suer you cherish it!
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

Both options so far look good.

Does any one know if respraying the red bumper is possible? my car is silver/grey, the bumper on it at the mo does have paint flaking off it so I presume it can be done. Where do you live, DavidRutherford? I can find out how to take it off I have the Haynes manual for it. I dont have any tools though, they're in southampton and I'm in bristol at the moment

To BCXM: How much would a new one cost? could i get it in grey? would I have to travel far?
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I was given some good advice in this thread.

And Image You've already noticed we like Mark 1s round these parts - you're going to get mugged for that come the National in July ;) Hope you can make it.
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

Yeah what is that national rally? I've had a quick look on the citroen car club website but didnt see anything about it. Can anyone give me any details? If im available at the right time I might come.
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

Dumbtime..PM sent
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

CCC website's not helpful. The rally's on 14th/15th July (As far as I know) at a venue near Godmanchester. Perhaps someone fron the CCC could furnish us with a map?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Having just had Mr dumbtime (Andrew) collect his faded pink rear bumper (and various other odds and sods which were useful to him), I can shed a little more light on his BX.

It's a lovely MK1. A few battle scars as you would expect, but really not bad for a car that's 2 years older than the driver! :lol:

What's particularly interesting is that it's an April 1984 registration 19RD. That's particularly special, as the XUD engine wasn't available in the BX until "Early 1984" Which means that this could indeed be one of, if not THE earliest BX diesel left in the UK.

Many years ago, when I was looking for a first diesel car, I considered a very similar MK1 diesel BX. Instead I made the (mistake?) choice of a Talbot Horizon Diesel. Identical engine, but in a much rustier, less elegant body, hence it was cheaper. Shame. The BX would have been a far better choice.
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

I've just had a look at the log and unfortunatly it wasnt registered in April. At the time I was ask the question I tried to look at what was written on my documents (in my head!) and I saw April. This was not the case and in fact it was August. Sorry!

I supose if David was a real swat, not that i was impressed with your knowledge, and knew your letters you would have noticed that the B registration came out in August 1984! (looked it up on the internet)

What does this mean? still possibly the earliest?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Had I thought about it a little more at the time.... of course "B" is 1984/1985! The earliest it could possibly be on a "B" is August '84.

In my defence... It's been a rather long time since I've have to try and work out the year/letter of pre-85 cars!

As for being the earliest Diesel.... quite possibly. The XUD may have been "available" in the BX from early '84, but that doesn't mean it was actually sold in the UK.

Plus... I can't remember the last time I saw an "A" registration BX, regardless of engine type.
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

Whoopeeee!! :D

After finding this forum, I seem to be strangly addicted.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I passed a 19RD Mk1 B reg on Friday afternoon, about 1530hours ish, heading into Westbury-on-Trym village from Greystoke Avenue.

I was in a muddy, black 16 valve, crawling in traffic and craining my neck for a better view of the car, not you was it??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...