HELP NEEDED!!can anyone fit a clutch??

Anything about BXs
ren16tx
This weeks BX legend
This weeks BX legend

HELP NEEDED!!can anyone fit a clutch??

Post by ren16tx »

i have a BX14 st tropez, the car is in Egham,surrey,
i am not a machanic! I can check the OIL/LHM levels but thats it!
is there anyone faily local who would be happy to fit a clucth ?? currently the car will not go into gear,so can not be driven anywere,and can't get it MOT'd untill clutch is done!! i also have a lack of money,so could'nt afford to pay anyone much!
if anyone could help, contact me simcauk@yahoo.co.uk
thanks
chris
GSA X1,GSA estate, GSA PALLAS C-matic,Simca 1100,Renault 16TX auto, yellow Visa super E, wanted mk1 bx!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Is it worth checking to see if the clutch cable is either broken or needs adjusting? my 19TZD was disagnosed with a duff clutch but Ken adjusted the cable and it was right as rain, saving me £100! :D
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

I wanted that car!!!!

Glad to see you are going to put it on the road.

We could do it for 165 parts and labour if thats any good??
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

tim leech wrote:Is it worth checking to see if the clutch cable is either broken or needs adjusting? my 19TZD was disagnosed with a duff clutch but Ken adjusted the cable and it was right as rain, saving me £100! :D
Hi Tim,

The clutch cable isn't broken. I tried adjusting it up several times, I just couldn't get it fixed. The clutch won't disengage, even with the pedal adjusted up as high as it will go.

It is adjusted with a single set of locking bolts on the end of the anti-rattle weight - a layout I haven't seen before!

Would be great to get it up and moving again cheaply!

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

might this just be a bit of rust between the flywheel and the friction plate?

If that's the problem, start the car in 1st gear, drive along a quiet road, depress the clutch, and accelerate hard. If the clutch was stuck, then you should feel a large clunk as it frees off. If so, slip the clutch loads to burn/polish off the rust from the clutch/flywheel faces.

Or have I read this wrong, and actually it just won't fully dis-engage?
this might be a signature
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

With the engine running, it won't go into any gear, even with the clutch pedal mashed hard into the carpet. It may be possible to get it started in 1st, but I doubt we'd be able to get it to shift into any other gear after that. This problem appeared quickly and the car became dangerous to drive, for fear of being stranded! There was a chattering noise at idle, which disappeared if you pressed the clutch pedal - which I guessed to mean the release bearing is shot.

Cheers,

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

That does sound suspiciously like the clutch diaphragm spring release fingers have worn all the way through, and the release bearing is now pressing on very little.

You *can* drive a car like that.... without actually using the clutch. I've driven many cars back home after snapping a clutch cable, or blowing a hydraulic clutch line, but it's not the easiest thing to do.

Especially junctions. Junctions are fun when you're driving clutchlessly.
this might be a signature