WANTED: Mk1 rear bumper

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

Yep! that was me.

I told David when I met up with him I saw a BX then, when I described it he said it was probably you. "The Doc" he called you, reminded me of Back to the Future when he said that. While on the subject has any one else had some dimwit saying "Is that the same car from Back to the Future?"
Was the owner of a BX 19RD 1984
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Small world eh! I live round the corner from where you saw me!

I'm only called the doc due to my amazing knowledge of the inner workings of women! (LOL)...... :roll:

hhmm, never had anyone confuse a BX for a Delorean yet, but theres a first time for everything I guess!!

Nice to have met you in a kinda passing in the street kinda way!!

You got a nice looking car mate!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

Sure is!

Did you see the gaffer taped bumper? Im gonna be spraying david's pink bumper tomrrow, hopfully! and sticking in the light fittings I took too, then my BX will be complete again! Except the drivers seat has just gained a hole in the upulstrery.

I was thinking for a summer project to re-upulster it, do you know of any tips? my mums a dab hand on the sewing machine! I guess I may have to start a new thread.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Or get some seatcovers! As its a Mk1 one and mostly all the seats tend to disintingrate most of the ones I saw always had them.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I missed the gaffer tape mate, I was busy trying to see the badge on the back.... Which really proves I need to stay in more!! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, finding good Mk1 seats will be next to impossible, if originality isn't too important then bung some decent Mk2 seats in, otherwise get your mom busy with sewing machine!!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

When I was younger and had rides in the car with my grandad, there were three things which I loved about the car.
1) sitting and waiting for the suspension to rise.
2) looking at the drum wheel speedo.
3) how comfy the seats were.

So, are the seats in a Mk2 as comfy as the Mk1?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

dumbtime wrote: So, are the seats in a Mk2 as comfy as the Mk1?
Having never driven a Mk 1 all I can say is Mk 2 seats are great and the higher spec models have more length in the seat base cushion so those with long legs are more comfortable.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, well, yeah I guess they are really.
I've got leather in the valver, which isn't as comfy as the monza seats in the TD, but they look cool!

Any BX seat is a comfy seat, as long as the padding isn't FUBRED.

I'm putting leather in a mates TXD soon, so I'll have a complete set of black seats with white stripes going spare if you want them??

dumbtime
Confirmed BX'er

Post by dumbtime »

That's very kind of you, but Im not sure if they will go with the blue/grey interior. Unless I try and do something about that too!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

dumbtime wrote:When I was younger and had rides in the car with my grandad, there were three things which I loved about the car.
1) sitting and waiting for the suspension to rise.
2) looking at the drum wheel speedo.
3) how comfy the seats were.

So, are the seats in a Mk2 as comfy as the Mk1?

Thats exactly what got me in to BXs when my dad had one when I was nipper, and it was the first car we ever had with electric wondows! 8)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

My first BX a 19RD and was A reg - A26 FCH - and was first registered in April 1984. We ran it 'til it had done 170k, then sold it to a mate who took it to 200k and he sold it on to a farmer who said he would run it until it dropped and then use the engine to power some pump/machine or other because it would run forever. Don't know what happened to it after that. I think the only things done to the engine were new cambelt and new glowplugs, might also have had a new rocker cover gasket.
Happy memories of it - it took four of us and caravan all over Europe for years. Went to Greece a few times in it. Only time it let us down was when the throttle cable snapped and wife had to get a tow - I said I could have got it home on tickover!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

An A-reg 19 diesel... that would be my dream car.

Am I sick, or what?
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Interesting... the DVLC Vehicle Enquiry yields the following details:

The vehicle details for A26 FCH are:

Date of Liability 11 08 2000
Date of First Registration 27 06 1984
Year of Manufacture 1984
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1905CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLACK
Vehicle Type Approval null

... which would suggest it was a 19GT... wrong! - Anyway, it must have looked cracking in black!

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

The BX that got me into old Citroens was a 19GT on - I think - a C plate in silver. At seven years old a car that rose up in the air and had *that* dash was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. It also had the first electric windows I'd ever seen - but I didn't like them because I couldn't reach the switches!

Dad says it was a scary car to drive; undertyred for the brakes and power that it had.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

"The vehicle details for A26 FCH are:

Date of Liability 11 08 2000
Date of First Registration 27 06 1984
Year of Manufacture 1984

Anyway, it must have looked cracking in black! "

It did! But a devil to keep clean!

When I quoted April 1984 I was confusing it with an old French one I came by and scrapped for parts.
It was registered in Paris on 20/04/1984 and had its 7500km service in July '84 in Argeles sur Mer! - hope they had a nice holiday!!