Estate rear bumper

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Estate rear bumper

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A quick question: My 1993 TXD estate has a fairly smooth front bumper, with the customary wide black rubbing strip. The bumper's body coloured (metallic silver). It is different to some estate bumpers which I've seen which have a black upper surface, but that's OK. Now, when we come to the back bumper that's got the same rubbing strip and it is body coloured (although it's been hand sprayed I think) but it's got a deeply textured 'bobbly' grained finish, nothing like the front. Does this bumper come from an earlier/different spec estate or is the surface texture meant to be different?

If I have a 'wrong' bumper fitted, can anyone help with getting me a 'matching' one? (Colour not important really)?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I think the late cars had smoother bumpers rather than the textured type, or it could be that its been repainted at some time and sanded smooth, when I had the Gti auto bumpers done they sanded them flat as its very difficult to keep the textured effect, I prefer the smooth shiny look but shows up the marks.. The two tone bumpers were only fitted to phase 2 TZ models (except TZD turbo hatch).

You could have the rear one painted to match the front phil?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

tim leech wrote:You could have the rear one painted to match the front phil?
I think I'll take it to Ernie, an excellent paint shop man I know. He'll deal with it better than I could. I'll get him to do the sills and other bit and bobs too.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The smooth(er) painted types were fitted to TX's and TZ's, although the TZ's had this black capping around the top that you speak of.

Sounds like its got an earlier rear bumper to me. Its the same bumper, its just slightly less textured and obviously its body colour, rather than painted.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

My estate also has a smooth front bumper and rough rear bumper. I'd be interested to know if smooth rear estate bumpers exist....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

cauchoiskev wrote:My estate also has a smooth front bumper and rough rear bumper. I'd be interested to know if smooth rear estate bumpers exist....
I just pulled out the latest BX brochure I have and I think you might actually be right. The estate in here has the rough bumper too.

I know that the estate rear bumper is the same as the mk1 estate bumper, but with the rub strip, so maybe its the same bumper throughout the range :?:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Noticed that myself they didnt change the bumper at any time but due to the thick rubbing strips it masked it.