Dodgy HP belt!

Anything about BXs
mountainmanUK

Dodgy HP belt!

Post by mountainmanUK »

My plans for a few trips out 'n about this weekend in Monica have been postponed. Today, while doing my normal under-bonnet check (water, oil, green blood etc) I noticed that the HP pump drivebelt looks like its in need of a dentist REAL soon! :shock: Around 30% of the teeth are missing!!
Phoned my local GSF (only 3 miles away!) only to be told "Oh dear, I havn't got one of them in! I can get ya one for Monday afternoon!"
I told him to order me one and I'll have to get it fitted on Wednesday, as I'm off work from then onwards for a week.

I'm just hoping that the rotten belt lasts me till Wednesday, as I can't get to work without car!!

I might just get underneath her over weekend, to see what other 'nasties' lie in wait for me!!! :twisted:

Dave
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

This is the vee belt between the camshaft ant the HP pump I assume? If so, I'm sure it will be fine:

A couple of years ago I was driving a 405 with the worst auxilliary drivebelt you have ever seen. It had great big chunks missing out of it, most of the poly-vee ribs had dissappeared, there were bits of cord poking out of it here there and everywhere, and it looked like it would fail the next time I started the car.

So I carried a spare with me, and the tools to change it as/when it failed.

Bloody thing lasted another 18'000 miles. I never did change it. Sold the car with it still on.

Surprisingly robust things, vee belts.
this might be a signature
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

That IS good to hear, thanks David! :D

Yep, its the vee belt that's driven from the end of the camshaft and only drives the pump. (Opposite end to the timing belt)

Only £3-00 from GSF.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Just get yer missus to wear some tasty tights and should the belt break then not only do you have a reserve belt 'in stock' so to speak but...er...well :oops:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yeah you should be ok, I've had somne very ropey belts on cars over the years, apart from a bit of noise I've never had one break.

Bandit, that reminds me of coming back to Bristol a few years back from Radstock in a bus. The aux belt broke and the air system was losing air rapidly, since I wanted to get home, I dapped into Miss Millies and asked the girl if I could "borrow" her tights...after a few strange glances from her, I explained, she gave me her "matron" tights, I wrapped it round the crank and compressor and viola, I got home on time!

(I felt obliged to buy some chips....)
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Good work with the chips mate...you're a sound bloke!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

docchevron1472 wrote:Yeah you should be ok, I've had somne very ropey belts on cars over the years, apart from a bit of noise I've never had one break.

Bandit, that reminds me of coming back to Bristol a few years back from Radstock in a bus. The aux belt broke and the air system was losing air rapidly, since I wanted to get home, I dapped into Miss Millies and asked the girl if I could "borrow" her tights...after a few strange glances from her, I explained, she gave me her "matron" tights, I wrapped it round the crank and compressor and viola, I got home on time!

(I felt obliged to buy some chips....)
'Viola'..... whats that, you made it into a large violin!....whats that got to do with drive belts.....lol.
Mike
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

They both have to be tensioned.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

had one of these snap before and just went into a car accessory shop put the snapped belt on the counter and asked do you have a belt like this when i was asked what for i just told them it was a project so they wouldnt argue the belt they gave me I think was off a renault 5 so basically any belt will do as long as it is about the same length.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Update:

Got the ordered belt from GSF, for £3-25. Took it home, started to fit, found it was too bloody long (800mm). Couldn't be arsed taking it back, so I walked (yes...walked!) round to my local cheapo motor accessory shop. One quick look on a shelf round the back...no reference book....he gives me this 625mm Bosch belt and says " Give us 2 quid mate!"
Fitted PERFECTLY!!!

Further update:

Going to the kebab shop last night and the bloody Battery light came on. Quick look under bonnet confirmed that the f&*%ing Alternator belt had snapped and vanished!! GRRRR!
Looks like I'm off for another little WALK this morning! :wink:
(After I've borrowed a couple of quid from SWMBO's purse! :shock: )

cheers
Dave
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It sounds like you've got a good motor shop within walking distance, mountainman. I've been lucky enough to live near a few of these gems!

If I were you I'd go there first in future, rather than spending out on postage from GSF...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

If I were you I'd go there first in future, rather than spending out on postage from GSF..
Very true Stuart! :D
The shop itself is REALLY tiny, but crammed to the rafters with everything you could possibly think of, to do with cars of all descriptions. It's run by a pair of small Asian guys who both really know their stuff (and not just BMW styling kits either!).
If they don't have it in, they can usually order in pretty quickly too.
The only thing they seem to struggle with is smaller, dealer-only parts, such as the bloody heater Bowden cable clips that I'm still on the hunt for!
(Doc very kindly posted me one, but it would appear that the Royal Mail have 'mislaid' it, as usual!)

Update:
New alternator belt fitted smoothly. Monica is happy again! :wink:

Cheers
Dave
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Its worth checking out your local bearing supplier for V belts - most of them stock them in all sorts of lengths and profiles and usually for peanuts - even compared to the local accessory shop.
Well worth trying them for oil seals and obviously bearings as well.
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!