Hi,Im a new bxer

Anything about BXs
spannerman

Hi,Im a new bxer

Post by spannerman »

Hi, I have been a fan of Citroens for a long time, but the italians have have kept me busy, and havn't had enough time for other favourites.
I recently bought this 1985 bx 1600trs with 191000Klms with a years rego, and new 6 month warrant (Rego =Tax, warrant = mot here in NZ)
and its rust free,(I'm not bullsh@!^g) for $500.00 =200 Quid. Main purpose for getting this car is to use everyday to go to work in, and its doing the job just fine. I live 30 klms from work, and its 100kph all the way, no traffic to speak of and like I said ,good fun to drive.
My last Citroen was a 1953 light 15 and many years ago, and plenty of good memories.
I have a Fiat 1969 850 sport which has had all the resto work done,and awaits reassembly, and a 1979 Lancia Gamma Cpe, which has had all the mechanical work done, a small ammount of rust removed, and will now have to wait for the Fiat to be finished before I can commit anymore time to it.
The bx will probably need attention to the rear arm bushes and bearings soon, as I see one rear wheel with more neg camber than the other.
So I will no doubt be asking the bx perts a couple of ?s soon enough.
Regards Gerry
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Hello and welcome to our club! The BX sounds super: any chance of some pics? I would also love to see pics of the Fiat 850 because I'm a fan of those - is it a coupe?

Cheers,

Mark.
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Hi Mark, I will get some pixs up at the weekend, the fiat is a coupe, I used to use it as my daily driver up to 4 years ago, when I took it off the road for a full resto.
Cheers Gerry[/img]
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Welcome to the mad house dude!

Is the FIAT as rust free as the cit? I believe your weather aint too much different to ours so I guess it's had some welding! Pics would be brill!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Thanks Mark and Chris for the welcome. The fiat needed welding to the sills,around the drivers footwell, and the leading edge of the bonnet, which I did myself, but compared to a lot of Fiats that age, it was in v/good order.
The weather here is similar to yours, but as I used to live in Oldham, anywhere else has better weather than there.LOL
I will endeveour to put pics up at the weekend.
Cheers Gerry :)
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Aww dammit, I really want an Fiat 850 coupe. There was a lovely red one on eBay a while back. Red is the best colour in my opinion: looks like a mini Ferrari from the back :D

Pretty rare over here though - must be super rare in NZ??

Pics of the BX, Fiat and the Lancia Gamma would be great :D

Mark.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Mmmmmmm!
As a spotty teenager, back in the late 60s/early 70s, the Fiat 850 Coupe was THE car that I dreamed of!
It still is.....and I'm now 51 :shock:
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Welcome Gerry. The late former GP driver and Autosport road tester JVB (John Bolster) bought an 850 Coupe for his wife, Rosemary. When it came up for sale, I rang the 'phone off the hook but, alas, never got through. One that got away.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You should ave turned up on his doorstep with a shotgun and balaclava Tom! Works for me when withdrawing money....excepted in ALL major banks!
:lol:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Thanks again everyone for your welcome and comments. Although you probably had a lot more 850s (sedans and coupes) than we got over here, there are still many here, mainly coupes, but now requiring work to keep them on the road, and the costs involved don't make sense for a lot of the cars we can still get here. Consequently there are plenty tucked away in sheds, but will never get anything spent on them. I was back in the UK in the late 70s, and used a 850 coupe which I picked up for 225 quid for transport to work when I was in Hastings working for Newtime Foods. We have our own auction site (similar to ebay) over here which you might enjoy an occational visit, www.trademe.co.nz. Pics to come at the weekend Cheers Gerry
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello Gerry, just another request for some photos of your BX. There must be hardly any Mk.1s in NZ and your car must have been one of the first imported. How has the sun down there dealt with the plastics for example? Look forward to the pics - perhaps with some local scenery?
cheers!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Thanks for your interest Todd, when I bought the car I didnt realise how early in the production of this model it was. I now think it will be one of few MkIs in NZ. I also think it has led a sheltered life, because it shows no signs of sun damage, which unlike the Fiat Croma I had a couple of years ago; everything plastic on that model turned brittle or to dust.
Pics of cars and scenery by sunday, cheers Gerry
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Hi Gerry ...nice cars you have... :P
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.