Ive got a TZD today

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Mulley, much appreciated. I`ll pm you shortly about the bits you wanted. I'm not entirely sure I have all the screws you need, especially any plastic trim screws a they, err, broke :oops: but did manage to get a whole load of small screws etc which may be of some use?

Aplogies for going o/t by the way.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Driving this weekend has seen the milestone of 100k appear on the speedo, a service will be due shortly.

No worries Billy, all parts gratefully received....
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Doh!!! got my maths wrong, dont need to service the car for another 1000 miles, at least i have the stuff ready & guidance off the kind folk on the forum though.

One of the washer bottles was really mankey, so decided to take it out & thoroughly clean it, treated a bit of surface rust that was underneath the bottle.

Then thought might as well do the other one, everything went well until i poured in the water & then realised it was pissing out. It was the rubber seal, i had managed to push it through into the bottle, hence no seal & the leak, managed to sort that no probs.

Even managed to fit a brand new wiper blade onto the rear, hurrah. I initially tried taking the baby walker off, there is a bolt on both sides that was visible which i took out, but it was still attached, perhaps there is another hidden under the plastic which i couldnt get off.

Managed to pull the wiper arm through the back of the baby walker & attach the blade. Result....

The suspension at the front has been making noises & didnt feel nice, would shake quite badly. Took it to the garage, they checked the droplinks, front arms etc.. & they found no play. They reckoned it was the driver side strut that was furbar as it was leaking.

I had noticed that there was a leak, i did ask them to check if it was any of the pipework & they said it wasnt. They then said they had contacted Citroen to find out how much a strut was, i told them to forget it as its way into the 3 figures & i could get one way cheaper.

I will post a new thread regarding the strut issue to get some advice.

I did the citraeobics thing with the lhm fluid on both sides, took it for a quick spin & the suspension did seem better, but was it just a temporary cure. See the above about new thread.

Still need to get hold of a front psgr side window regulator, unfortunately even the club has come up blanks (had a few offers that havent materialised) & i just cant afford to spend nearly £100 on a new one.....

Also got another strange thing, there is something loose in the sunroof area as there is quite a strong noise coming from around that area when driving. I have had a look & have no idea as everything that i could see seemed tight, anyone got any ideas????

Apart from these, she is running quite well as she is doing the work commute to save fuel over using the mini which just gobbles the stuff even driving carefully. Still averaging 45mpg+ which is great for an old car. Thats it for the mo....
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I did pop a post on the technical section regarding the strut squirting green blood out of it, so wont bore anyone by repeating myself.

Went upto Ken's on Monday & he kindly showed me how to change a strut, so i have a replacement fitted which seems better, although there is a bit of a strange noise emenating from that area now, hope it settles down, if not i will report back asking for advice.

Car is now also showing 2 brand new front headlights, the old ones were getting scabby, a new psgr side indicator & a chrome radiator grill replacing the original black one, car looks well pimped up. :lol:. My thanks to Ken for digging them out of his warehouse of spares for me.

I did buy some new indicators, but soon realised that the difference in quality compared to originals left a lot to be desired, so fitted them to the Gti instead.

Also took a look at the oil leak's that the car has, so Ken showed & helped me to take off the intercooler. Instantly spotted that the middle bolt on the rocker cover (there are 3) had oil spewing out of it, aha its come loose said Ken. I tried tightening it but it didnt screw back in.

Initial thoughts were that the threads may be stripped (oh bugger!!), so off came the rocker cover, tried screwing it in & it went in ok. So for some reason it was slightly too short (it was exactly the same size bolt as the other 2), so we got a longer bolt that fitted a treat.

Whilst the rocker cover was off, Ken cleaned the rocker gasket & spotted that it needs replacing, so thats another job to do. I was in the meantime cleaning up the cover area so that it would fit back ok as gasket sealent was all over the place.

So with new gasket sealent applied back went on the rocker cover. There is a pipe that connects upto the rocker cover, it was split, out comes some tape to try & stop another oil leak. So another job that may need doing in the future if it doesnt hold & continues to spew oil. It looks like bit of a git to get sorted so fingers crossed it holds.

So refitted the intercooler & associated pipework without any dramas, apart from the rubbishy bolt access to fit it, but managed nontheless.

Ken had a play with the exhaust as it bangs against the towbar, so hopefully no more banging sounds.

Also re-aligned the steering wheel so that when driving its actually on straight rather than at a slight angle which i always found a bit annoying.

So my thanks to Ken again for his invaluable assistance, i have now learnt quite a few things which i would be able to tackle by myself, just need to get a couple of extra tools & i will be sorted.

So just need to keep an eye on the strut that we changed, will probably do the lhm trick & the 3in1 oil on the top of the strut to see if these get rid of the noise, will check the 3 nuts to make sure they are tight incase its them that might be causing the noise.

So all is well in TZD land at the mo, fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong or is expensive!!!

Without the club, i think i would have just given up & sold it on by now, but i have faith......
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Still need to get hold of a front psgr side window regulator, unfortunately even the club has come up blanks (had a few offers that havent materialised) & i just cant afford to spend nearly £100 on a new one.....
:oops: That'll be me then!! I'm just rubbish mate!! Do you need the whole regulator or just the motor? Have you checked the wiring? I think they have a habit of breaking somewhere along the rubber bellows between pillar and door. I had it on the 16v :roll:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mulley I change dthe passenger window motor mate when I had to try and cure the problem with one that worked, and the switches.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

With the window I'd try direct power to the motor first and see if it goes up and down properly. If it doesn't then tap the motor with something hard - I've had trouble with one that sticks down and think there may be an overload switch in there somewhere. If it still doesn't work then you need a new motor.

If it does work then its wiring or switches. Is there power at the motor with the switch depressed and the ignition full on? Does this power reverse when the switch is pressed the other way?

Switches DO fail as does the wiring - the section between the pillar and the door being a prime suspect - especially as from what I've seen (and never had to take it all down) the window wiring looks to be heavy cable made up of rather thick strands which won't be the most flexible and more likely to break.

Have you got the one touch system?
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Er, i have never taken a door to bits before so dont really want to incase i cant get i back together again. Local garage diagnosed it as a knackered regulator. So are they wrong? dunno?

Perhaps i need to get someone from the club to have a looksie for me as i dont have a clue as to what i need to look at or even how to go about checking what works & what doesnt.

Tim, did u leave the motor that worked in?

Driver side has the one touch switch for drvr side & standard switch to control psgr side, ordinary switch on the psgr side, neither work the psgr side window.

One of those slightly annoying things that u dont notice until u try & lower the window & then realise you cant......
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Trust you to live so far away!!! If you get it diagnosed and need a motor, let me know mate and I'll pop one in the post. If i have the fortune of meeting you mate before you get it diagnosed, I'll be happy to have a butchers for you Mulley...keep me posted :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Sorry about that :) I will see what Tim says about the motor. U going to the National? i hope to go, so we may well meet up.....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I wonder if that strut is sticking a bit? I'll have a look see if there is any more.

Also you should have mentioned about the window prob. Ah well, next time. :?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The window regulator is the strange name the Motor Trade gives to the mechanism which makes the window go up and down. I expect its origins are in horse carriage windows and railway carriage windows which dropped into the door and were raised and lowered by a leather strap with holes in it.

If the window does not move at all and the lights dim when the switch is operated then the regulator is suspect - but if the lights do not dim then at least part of your problem is electrical.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I thought that would be way too cheeky seeing as i was only up for the strut & then you did all those other jobs for me. I will try the lhm trick & 3in1 oil idea as well to see if it settles the strut down.

It certainly feels better than the strut that was replaced, just that this one is noisier, oh well u cant have everything i guess.

I'll also double check that everything is tight & hasnt come loose, as long as this weather changes to less wet conditions.

I take it i wont be doing any damage by driving the car as it is?
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Ive had a chance to try the lhm trick, & loads of crap came out, turned the lovely green lhm into brown shite..... must have used up about a litre & it was still quite dirty.

I will have another go this weekend depending upon the weather.

It does seemed to have made the strut a bit less noisy, but it still creaks which is a bit annoying. Does anyone know of a way of cleaning the inside of a strut out without causing any damage?

Clutch is getting quite annoying as well, its about as smooth as someone getting the car & shaking it violently, is that likely to be the clutch release bearing or could it be something else? biting point appears ok, its just that it bites nastily, quite bad in stop/start traffic....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

MULLEY wrote: Does anyone know of a way of cleaning the inside of a strut out without causing any damage?

Clutch is getting quite annoying as well, its about as smooth as someone getting the car & shaking it violently, is that likely to be the clutch release bearing or could it be something else? biting point appears ok, its just that it bites nastily, quite bad in stop/start traffic....
Without stripping the strut, just keep lubing it and doing the citrobics mate.

Could be any number of things with the clutch, make sure the engine-b/box bolts are tight, they probably are, but worth checking!

Also, you can try "slipping the clutch". Dont cook it, just try holding it on the park brake, stick it in 4th or 5th, take the revs to about 2000rpm and let the pedal up till it bites and hold it there for 20secs or so, may not help, but it used to work with my car when it had a shite LUK clutch, one of the drawbacks of non-asbestos linings really.

Of course it could be oil contamination, or a fubar flywheel, but try slipping it, if that improves things, next time it gets juddery, just do it again!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...