In car entertainment

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

In car entertainment

Post by toddao »

Does anyone have the original Citroen radio/cassette still fitted in their BX? Or has everyone moved onto CDs?
I want to replace the Ford XR2 unit in my car with a Citroen model. Would be interested to know what was available and maybe someone has got one lying around that has been eclipsed by technology and no longer required? For example (from a 1985 brochure) -
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/5023 ... 3130_b.jpg

I'm quite happy with the limitations though I have seen a traditional radio/cassette wired for CD/MP3 input without the dummy tape rattling in the slot - anyone done this?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Is it possible that they left the factory with a yoko unit?
Because I don't think mine has ever been changed. I use the dummy tape to play my MP3s.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I believe that all the radio/cassettes were extras that could be specified when you were buying the car. In Germany these were the two Citroen ones pictured - one two, the other four channel ( hi-fi!) plus several Grundig and Philips units. You've got a 'Yoko' in your car? - small Japanese woman once married to a well known pop star and now responsible for the term in the music industry - No Yokos , meaning no birds on the bus ( see Spinal Tap for effect) :P
Todd

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

My Gti came with a factory fit Clarion, it was a pile of pooh, so bought a nice JFC off e-bay which played cd's rather than cruddy cassettes.

If you want to play cassettes, get one of those lovely Nakamichi head units, they are ace....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My 16GTS came with a Blaupunkt (City of some sort). The owner hadn't used it so I had to put in the code and now it's sweet. But doesn't play anything other than radio (OK) and cassettes - and who has them now? :cry: BUT I had my brother in law record sometging onto tape with his high-end equipment - and it is - I have to say BLOODY GOOD.

Just put a Sony Radio/MD head unit and CD autochanger into the TXD and that's good too - but the 'standard' speakers aren't up to it. So where do you stop???
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I changed the front speakers to Pioneers, cost about £20 off e-bay, & then got the small ones in the rear disconnected as they are total crap & got some Pioneer 6x9's fitted in the boot (near the blinds), sounds ace. The rears were about £45, so not mega expensive. I got a shop to fit the head unit, do all the wiring & all the rear speakers (did the fronts myself) for £120 all in, not too bad i thought??

The sound was transformed, miles better than the rubbishy original head unit & speakers, afterall they were rubbish when new, & more than a decade old had plenty of wear & tear so sounded dreadful.

If anyone still listens to tapes in their car, Nakamichi's are a revelation, as good as a cd player as long as the recordings are upto scratch. I did buy one off e-bay, but it got lost in the post so in the end i didnt get it, i was gutted, so plonked for the JVC cd player instead so wifey could listen to her cd's.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Didn't know that Nakamichi made car stuff - only familiar with the 'Dragon' home unit that physically removes the tapes and turns them over. I will defend the poor old cassette especially as I find a load of them at flea markets for 10p and of course the good 'ole radio - when you've got a good radio station who needs an MP3 player?
Also CDs are not really suitable for the car environment unless you've got a changer in the boot. I still enjoy pressing play/record on my hi-fi and making mix tapes from vinyl but of course I'm aware of the terrible crime that's being committed -

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/5030 ... 56e2_b.jpg

gotta go - here comes the fuzz :P
Todd

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I have seen a traditional radio/cassette wired for CD/MP3 input
I've had this done twice, to old '70s radios. The little local repair shop did it each time, for about twenty quid.
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

I've got one of those old cassette adapters that were going around when the first lot of CD players came out and play my MP 3 in through that.
I must admit that having worked in Hanover for a month last year I do think that the standard of radio stn (music mix etc) over there is better.
Mike.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

My BX has the original Blaupunkt Boston r/c and I still play tapes, or use the tape adaptor to play CDs.

My GSA radio has a line in jack, but I've not yet tried it out! I will do soon, because the tape player is knacked (tape reels don't turn), and when playing CDs using a tape adaptor, the sound only comes out of the left speaker!

Mark.
M

Post by M »

I listen either to Radio 4 ( which really annoys the wife) or MP3's played via a very cheap Alba unit since my Archos died and the company wont honour the warranty (b4stards) via the tape in the slot - Im happy with the sound (but then I wear hearing aids and am tone deaf so it would be a waste getting high end audio I suppose)
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Todd, Nakamichi are legends in car audio, normally very expensive, they do cd players these days, no more cassettes i'm afraid, but they do appear on e-bay from time to time. Also the car amps are supposed to be the biz as well.

I didnt think the Dragon turned them around, it was autoreverse from memory (i could be wrong), the RX series did twizzle the cassette round though. Ive got a BX150E deck, sounds great.

Just found one on e-bay, need to check to see if its got the amps built in or whether its just the head unit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAKAMICHI-RD-701- ... dZViewItem
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Found an even newer one, dont know what the reserve is though?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAKAMICHI-TD-45Z- ... dZViewItem