11%
Buy some trims cheapskate!
78%

Total votes: 9

Kingswell
BXpert

Black wheels

Post by Kingswell »

I've all but given up on finding wheel-trims and I don't have the cash for alloys so I'm thinking of spraying my wheels black but I'm not sure yet.
2 questions arise:
Is it barry?
Will it look good?

Basically its easy enough to buy a can of glossy black and spray them but I'm worried it will look rubbish. I like how the car looks now but I think it would look better with black wheels. I have used photo-shop to give an idea.

I know I'm being a bit of a whiner but its the way I am.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It'll look like the wheeltrims have fallen off, only that you have black steelies not silver.

Alloys or trims I'm afraid mate....unless you own a 106 Rallye :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

There are plenty of really NICE trims available, from only around £6-99 a set! Most cheap "Discount Hardware stores" sell 'em off in huge piles, or try your local small Motor Accessory shop.

A nice set of original Citroen trims went on eBay only last week, for less than a tenner!!

Personally, I think Citroen standard steel wheels look horrible.....so either cover 'em up quick...or keep an eye on eBay for a good set of Alloys that will fit. (Pug 205 GTi 1.9 ones look well nice, also the earlier Pug 205 GTi "pepperpot" from the 1.6., and they will both go straight on without spacers etc. You would just need to get hold of the correct flat-seat (with washer) bolts which are a little longer.

IIRC, a couple of Club Members are currently looking to sell decent sets of alloys, for not a lot of money, which would smarten up your BX no end! Check out the "For Sale / Wanted" section of this Forum! :wink:

Good Luck!!

Dave
Last edited by mountainmanUK on Tue May 22, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Why worry - you can't see the wheels when you're driving it!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Im not saying much about wheeltrims but I do think the Z style TZ series (excpt turbo hatch) suits the bx the best.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Sinister mad max stylee black wheels or french peasant dirty grey?
Stewart 8)
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

Does anyone want to start a BX Wheel & Trim photo thread? Tim, Im looking @ you here.....
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Yeah I wouldn't mind having a set of decent wheeltrims and its not for lack of trying. I was going to bid for that set that was on Ebay but postage was going to be expensive.

I previously had one of those cheap sets on it but I didn't like them so I ended up taking them off because they make it look too cluttered.

What I want is either some wheel trims that are black or to simply paint the wheels black. I think it looks better just painted or without than those sets.

Maybe later on I will pick up the search for alloys or proper wheel trims but for now with my finances and studies I just want to have a temporary solution that makes it look smarter and I think that this is it. The black wheels can always be covered by wheel trims when I get them.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Black wheels just looks like they're covered in brake dust IMO, and that you can't be bothered to wash it.

I'd either leave the wheels as they are, or possibly paint them body-colour.

Or maybe silver....
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Kingswell wrote:Yeah I wouldn't mind having a set of decent wheeltrims and its not for lack of trying. I was going to bid for that set that was on Ebay but postage was going to be expensive.

I previously had one of those cheap sets on it but I didn't like them so I ended up taking them off because they make it look too cluttered.

What I want is either some wheel trims that are black or to simply paint the wheels black. I think it looks better just painted or without than those sets.

Maybe later on I will pick up the search for alloys or proper wheel trims but for now with my finances and studies I just want to have a temporary solution that makes it look smarter and I think that this is it. The black wheels can always be covered by wheel trims when I get them.

Judging by that picture that BX needs a damn good wash and a polish and decent quality set of wheeltrims!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'd spray them silver, would liven the car up a bit rather than drab black.
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Tim that photo is from a long time ago. The car has had quite a few washes and polishes since then, as you can see in my first post :D
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Don't listen to him. He's just jealous of your car's patina.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In my opinion, don't touch them - there'd be no point. Drive that around without wheel trims for that 'mean'/skint look. Really - you don't need to worry - how many BX 'fans' are going to be affronted?

Until you can get some trims - the best to opt for would be the ubiquitous TZD trims as they're pretty 'hard wearing'.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Philip chidlow wrote:Drive that around without wheel trims for that 'mean'/skint look.
In the UK that may work, but I believe in malta a BX is a fairly modern car.

I still remember a holiday there in 1988. The hire car my father had was apparently "brand new" and he was asked to take "good care" of it.

It was a 4-year old Toyota, with about 60k miles on it.

But then that was new for malta. There were more 50's and 60's cars there than you could shake a stick at. The Toyota we were in was the most modern thing I saw in the whole 2 weeks we were there.
this might be a signature