TXI

Anything about BXs
oilman
BXpert

TXI

Post by oilman »

As a newbie-but oldie-i need advice on possible purchase of a 1993 txi,90000miles,lots of new parts fitted apperently-cambelt,exhaust,octopus,brakes,starter etc. mot and tax,2 owners.Faults are dodgy ignition switch and a split front bumper.owner is asking £550. Should i be looking for any other problems? Looking forward to your advice. Cheers, Brian.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Seems a bit dear to me. I paid £400 which was far to much for my TXS which is a 92 K , only had one owner, FSH, 12 months test and only 48,000 when I bought it ...
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Indeed. £550 is very high for a TXi. A valver or a very tidy TZD Turbo maybe, but it would have to be an exceptionally tidy TXi for £550 (which it isn't, as you've said... faults etc.)
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Too high. I paid £475 for a 26k mile 16TGS auto and although that was a steal, I'd say a 90,000 miler in a slightly 'unpopular' (dare I say) spec with cosmetic and other faults is closer to £300.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I paid ohh hang on NOWT for my TGS lol, joking apart the mainstream petrol models as Phil said arent worth much, £300 is about top money
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

You mention lots of new parts fitted apparently, make sure you have evidence of these as without proof what the owner says is worthless. I think the chaps on here are spot on with the sellers valuation of that car.

Unless u can fix those probs yourself u r probably looking at spending £40-60 odd quid for the ignition barrell (i think u have to buy the whole lock kit?), the barells dont come seperately. Then the cost of getting it fitted, & if u wanted to replace the bumper well originals cost a fortune, they wouldnt be the right colour, so a re-spray etc.... its easy to spend hundreds on just a few bits & bobs.

£200-250, a bit more if its got some tax & long mot, but it would have to be in mint condition. Draw sellers attention to some recent e-bay sales to haggle the price down. 1.6 petrols are weak sellers or is it a 1.9 (not much better either).

Does the suspension work ok? are there any suspension leaks? oil leaks? do the rear wheels look as though they are bending outwards? do all the electrics work? does the heater blow hot & cold air & is it powerful? the list goes on!!!

Apologies if i sound like i'm putting you off which i dont want to do, i just speak from personal experience not realising how many little things need doing & how much it can all cost. This is typical of all old cars, so if u r keen to learn how to fix things, then u have come to right place to learn.

Basically if its a good one, haggle that price down big style & u should have a nice car. Good luck & let us know how u got on.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Accurate pricing isn't possible on a car of this age - if you want one of this spec - colour, general condition etc you've got to say to yourself 'How easy am I going to find another?

You obviously know how difficult its going to be to do the jobs that need doing. Unless you are very lucky any car of half its age will need 'breaking in' - a number of repairs that need doing soon after purchase to get it working nicely - and all these things must be born in mind.

I doubt if there will be much competition for a petrol BX. If I were interested (which I'm not) I'd probably make a derisory offer, leave a note with my phone number on it and wait for a month for the call telling me I could have it.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I doubt if there will be much competition for a petrol BX. If I were interested (which I'm not) I'd probably make a derisory offer, leave a note with my phone number on it and wait for a month for the call telling me I could have it.
I would have agreed with you until this experience.

This, however,
Accurate pricing isn't possible on a car of this age - if you want one of this spec - colour, general condition etc you've got to say to yourself 'How easy am I going to find another?
is The Truth. If you really want this car, then set yourself an upper limit in your mind and negotiate like a nutter. The seller will have set a lower limit in his mind so if you both haggle hard enough you'll reach a figure that you're both happy with. THAT'S what the car's worth.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

That proves the point Stuart - its an exceptional car - and how much would it cost to bring an average to good car to that standard. Looks cheap when compared to the cost of a nice respray.
oilman
BXpert

txi

Post by oilman »

Many thanks all of you for the input,will bear these points in mind when i view the car on Sunday.Will post result.Thanks again.
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

The 16 TXI is fairly rare and the fact it has single point injection make it more efficient than the 16 carburetor models we have all owned. I had a brilliant red 16 TXI estate which I sold for £650. The guy came saw and paid up. Didn't quibble at all. There is no strict price guide though the pain that carb models can be no matter what mileage they are probably worth less than most...
I would pay up to £400 for a good TXI..
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I think were all a bit unfair to the more cooking petrol BXs sometimes, yes I know they arent as cheap to run as a diesel, but credit where credits due they do last well if well looked after (the one I fetched today proves that, it did 100000 in less than 3 years when new) and there not bad on fuel either for a 1.6. There a LOT quieter and smoother and against a 1.9D much quicker and most importantly cheaper! :D
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014