Barney - The Bolt

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Barney - The Bolt

Post by Gareth Wales »

Can anyone tell me the spec and dimensions of the main bolt in the rear swinging arm repair kit? I suspect its made out of something a bit tougher than standard steel.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Whilst I can't give you the dimensions Gareth, I can tell you that my old mate who did the turning on mine commented that the metal used in them appeared to be nothing more than mild steel.
He has another friend who is an engineer involved with calculating loads and stresses and his opinion was that the load on this bolt was so small that it was a very small percentage of the overall load. This one was also the guy who reckoned he was amzed at the design and the way it offset the load. In his opinion, you could almost get away with using a stick in there for a bolt. :shock: :shock:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you're after a new one, isn't it available separately somewhere, Gareth? Of course it's probably at a premium price for what it is.....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

seem to think there about £8 from Citroen. Why do you need one? you'll happily get away with an old one with a new nut, but check it for wear towards each end. There not likely to fail (they are really a once in a lifetime component, but its the threads that will fail through corrosion, and imagine the problem SKF would have if you arm fell off because they told you to use the old bolt!), however, i would consider a 1/4 ton to be a considerable load!

been having a think and i really cant see the 'drill the bolt' idea to be of any benefit either, as you need the grease between the inner race and the plastic tube (which is there to form a seal with the two seals and keep the grease in!), the exact merits of if its safe to drill a bolt or not i will be looking into as a uni project next year! We have a whole host of stress analysers some im quite eager to have a play!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

This one is an old chestnut and hs been well explained in the past ad nauseam. Put simply, the bolt clamps the arm in but takes very little load.
Alan (Himself a competent engineer,) has had highly qualified people run the numbers on his modification and they have found it to be entirely safe.