TD gearbox wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

TD gearbox wanted

Post by Jaba »

Anyone got one of the above ?? Mine is getting noisy.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Noisy in what way? bearing whine/hiss? gear selection noise? clonks/bangs?

I'm assuming you've tried changing the oil for the correct grade? BE gearboxes are usually very robust, and it's rare for them to get noisy. I've seen over 300k miles on them before now with no hint of wear.

... and depending on what the noise is, it may well work fine like that for many years to come: The only real noise I've ever really heard is input shaft hiss. Drove a car with that for another 50k miles, and it drove fine, and didn't get any better or worse.
this might be a signature
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

David
This car has always had noisy transmission. It clonks a lot at low speeds when no throttle is used. There is a sort of whine that is related to road speed. This is getting worse. I thought it might be wheel bearings but have just replaced these to no avail. I have replaced the drive shafts too.

I am not concerned that it will fail. I just want a bit of peace ! I do long journeys in my BXs here and on the continent.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

My mechanic has one for collection only.
PM for details
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I might have one. Someone on here (ed4ferrets I think?) wants the engine attached to it but if he doesn't want the box you can have it for nowt.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Jaba wrote:There is a sort of whine that is related to road speed.
That's most likely diff whine. Fixable, but if a replacement box is available, then that's probably easier. Gives you a chance to check the clutch at the same time.
this might be a signature