An interesting insertion

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

An interesting insertion

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi just to let you know, I found a pic of the BX GTi engine installation that graced my (now sold) Visa GTi. I didn't do the work myself, it was done by a Citroen mechanic apprentice (?!). I lived in France for a while and after my 1974 GSX had been written off (post restoration :cry: ) by a French student in a Fiat Uno, I saw this car on what constituted the forecourt of a garage - sporting the Chevrons - in the middle of hokey-ville, near a place called Nérac. I sold it upon my return to the UK to a Belgian. I regret that now. Mind you, it made him happy! I have, somwhere, some pics that I took in my time in France, and there are some interesting Citroens there. I'll add them when I find them.

We should start a thread on French experiences...

Check out http://homepage.mac.com/macksy/PhotoAlbum5.html
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citroenxm
Confirmed BX'er

Post by citroenxm »

WHY should fitting a BX unit be hard!!!

The Visa GTi had the 205 engine fitted, and the only difference to it would be a longer stroke and a more curved inlet from the 205/Visa..

Doesn't really look that hard to do with a bit of thought..
I guess its no harder then putting a Xantia TD Unit in a BX.. again (though a couple have already done it) why shouldn't it fit??? They put the 1.9 D unit in the BX, and the 1.7TD... I wouldn't have thought there would be an outside difference to the block..

What about fitting a BX intercooler and inlet to the 1.9TD?? Saves wondering were to put the Xantia type intercooler...

Whay not even put BOTH intercoolers on....

It does look nice though (The Visa GTi). Never actually seen a real one, but used to have a 1987 Vida 17RD, and it flew along at 100mph!!! SERIOUSLY!..

God knows what the GTi is like let alone a 1.9GTi..
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It flew; acceleration was fantastic. Road-holding was excellent - I'd had new tyres which helped. I remember a 1200 km in 2 days trip I did where it never missed a beat and was not overtaken once (unless you count the suspicious Gendarme on a motorbike!). Even more fun was taking 'cross country' in 'deep' France, where I had a 'spar' with a Renault 5 GT Turbo (which I left behind, somewhere north of Cahors!)... Ah, those were the days.

Trouble was it spilled a bit of fuel as the filler cap could NEVER be pursuaded to seal, and the seats weren't the best in the World. Easily forgiven.

I would never have sold it but I needed the money at the time. Got €770 for it though...
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

talking of bx engines into visa's. one of the guys at the citroen specialests that used to work on my car used the engine out of his 16v when he wrote it off and dropped it into his visa! that thing was silly quick!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Did the car - or indeed did he, survive? BTW I would like another Visa GTi one day...
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

yeah! he had it for around 6-8 months then sold it for a bike! i know it was bloody quick! he was 4 up at a set of lights in the right turn lane, next to a mate 1 up in his 205 1.9 in the going straight lane and he whooped him off the line!! (he had no intention of going right!) he had it on a 1.6 box as well so it was silly off the line, not a lot top end but quick to get there!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And I know how quick those Pugs are... :roll: