GT is coming out of its coma:attention Stuart :-)

Anything about BXs
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks Ken :) Much appreciated.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

My home computer's not working, so I was offline all weekend!

That looks absolutely fantastic Adam, can't wait to see it in the flesh. Fingers tightly crossed for the MoT on Thursday!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Right. You are dead right David. One O/S indicator lens found :) Im going over to the car in a bit to fit it after ive somehow got it started! Fingers crossed! The one thing im not going to be able to do for the MOT is the oil leak as I cant get to GSF on time now, but ill fix that the following weekend whether its passed or not. It was horribly rainy yesterday so hopefully it was that that was causing a problem.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Providing it's an engine or gera box oil leak, you shouldn't get an MOT fail on an oil leak - there's no part of the test that looks at this 8)

If it was really really bad, they might fail it on poor / dangerous general condition, but i can't see it - or they might refuse to test it, if it was leaking oil all over their workshop. How bad is it anyway?
I NEED a BX TD.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Hi Richard. Towards the time I had the accident, it was very bad, and I thought it was the distributor camshaft seal, but its now actually leaking from the back o/s of the engine from the sump, but obviously its hard to see whether it is actually the sump because the engine is so oily, also, the oil in the engine wouldnt be as high up in the sump as the gasket, apart from when accelerating and braking etc, but it lost about two table spoons in the time the engine took to get to operating temp yesterday, and when under load on a motorway, thats going to translate into several litres on a 100 mile journey, so yeah, its very bad, and it was getting dangerously close to the disks when I last used it because it was flowing down the suspension arm. Its really not a useable car till I sort this out.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's not uncommon for oil to leak from the sump gaskets.
Infact it's not uncommon for oil to leak from pretty juch anywhere on them!

Good luck sorting it out mate, it sounds like you have Rolls Royce syndrome: "If it doesn't leak oil, theres no oil in it"....
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its often worth trying to tighten sump securing bolts - I've stopped a number of leaks over the years and know that some forms of gaskets shrink with use.

Most will be small bolts securing a pressed tin sump. Overtightening will snap them or worse - bend the edge of the sump after which it will have to be removed, the dent dressed out and the thing refitted with new gaskets. The correct tightness is probably a good twist with a NORMAL screwdriver.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Too true, overtightening is the enemy usually.

If you've got the time and a new gasket, drop the sump, apply plenty of silicone sealant to both sides of the gasket, sit the gasket on the sump and leave it for 20 mins or so before fitting it up.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I've found the same with the fuel pump and the heater tap to matrix joint. Tightening the screws/bolts stopped the leak and I didn't need a new gasket.

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

adamskibx wrote:the oil in the engine wouldnt be as high up in the sump as the gasket, apart from when accelerating and braking etc,
Ordinarily, I'd agree (in fact I removed the sump from a Jag XK140 last week, with all 7 litres of oil in it, changed the gasket, and put it back on still with it's oil. Who needs to drain!) But in the case of an XU, the engine is at such an angle that the oil line is infact over the gasket line at the back of the engine by a fair bit. Any weepy bit of gasket here will leak oil permanently. Obviously slower when the engine is cold, but it will drip all the time.

Sounds suspiciously like the gasket is shot. Not a big job to drain the oil and change the gasket.
this might be a signature